Apple CarPlay disconnecting after a few minutes.

Cocijo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apple carplay has started disconnecting after a few minutes use. I’ve tried another lead and it’s still the same. When it drops out from carplay it goes back to the home screen on the infotainment. If I then disconnect my iPhone and plug back in it connects again until the same happens after a few minutes. Any ideas? Thanks.

So... I think I’ve sorted it out. I think the answer is that it is very sensitive to the type of cable. With not much better to do on a snowy afternoon I tried 3 different cables - 2 of them kicked out after a couple of minutes and the 3rd one was perfect - worked great. All 3 cables are almost new but different makes. The Apple cable worked. I know others have said Android is very sensitive to cables - I hadn’t experienced that with Apple until now. So, if you have any issues look at the cable. 🧐🙂🙂

They do say for either system that you should only use the proper cables, I had a issue with Android Auto, but I believe it was more the phone than the cable and switch to my daughters old IPhone and I’ve had no problems since.

Yes - I’m pleased that I’ve sorted it.

I'm an android man myself, but I always use Anker cables. I fly a Mavic Pro drone and that can be a little hit and miss which I can't afford!! but Anker have always worked. After market cables I would always suggest Anker, they do apple as well.

Yes. Anker have also worked for me. I use on my DJI drone too.

Apple carplay has started disconnecting after a few minutes use. I’ve tried another lead and it’s still the same. When it drops out from carplay it goes back to the home screen on the infotainment. If I then disconnect my iPhone and plug back in it connects again until the same happens after a few minutes. Any ideas? Thanks.

This happens to me all the time, posted about it previosuly. Nothing seemed to fix it, so I prefer to use Bluetooth, that way I get calls whereas CarPlay disconnects and it's not always noticeable leaving the possibilty of not being able to answer calls. Yes, CarPlay is better, but it's unreliability makes it unworkable for me. I also had this problem in another car, so I don't think it's the MG.

That’s a shame. My experience now I’ve experimented with various cables is it works fine with no issue - for 2 days anyway - with an Apple cable - Anker cables are also good. My other cables are very hot and miss usually kicks the phone off after a few minutes.

Bought new cable exclusively for the car, managing connection to Android Auto, only after few attempts

It’s not necessarily if it’s new or not - I did the same and purchased a new cable specifically for the car from Amazon that didn’t work properly. It’s the make of cable - trial and error I found. For me both Anker and Apple cables work for carplay without issues.

I agree need OEM cables but main culprit is voltage drop on phone connectors full of dust and dirt, also grease can build up on connection pins. To make it worse cheap chinese plugs are thicker and splay the pins in the socket Damaging them, try keeping your phone socket clean, blow dust out and poke a piece of paper dipped in an alcohol solution. look for score marks on gold contact blades, bad scoring replace the cable and buy a proper one.

Yes, phone cables, not the car, although some parts in the car are a little suspect

I was just having the same problem and i tried flipping my iPhone lightning cable as i plug it into my phone side and it fixed it. No more dcing

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom