Apps - RFID Cards - what do you need in 2022?

Lguk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I'm aware this information is dotted around the forum and other places on the internet, but most of it isn't up to date (another EV forum has a sticky from 2016 that hasn't been updated since).

Due to pick my car up in 11 days and wanted your opinions on which apps/rfid cards are a must have?
Whilst my intention is to use Work/Home based charging 95% of the time, I also do plan on using the vehicle for visiting friends/relatives.
Essex > Minehead
Essex > Kirkcaldy (really should go see mum since she moved 5 years ago)

So far I've grabbed:
  • Octopus Electric Juice card - to discover it works with relatively nothing :)
  • PodPoint App
  • Zap-Map
Are there specific network chargepoints to avoid? or that are known to not work? - I'm aware Tesla Destination Chargers are a go, but supercharger network is closed (for now)

You have got the must ones😄.
BP Pulse is handy as there are free or cheap charge points on this network.
I have used Instavolt a few time not the cheapest and certainly not now with another price increase but they are reliable.

I'm aware this information is dotted around the forum and other places on the internet, but most of it isn't up to date (another EV forum has a sticky from 2016 that hasn't been updated since).

Due to pick my car up in 11 days and wanted your opinions on which apps/rfid cards are a must have?
Whilst my intention is to use Work/Home based charging 95% of the time, I also do plan on using the vehicle for visiting friends/relatives.
Essex > Minehead
Essex > Kirkcaldy (really should go see mum since she moved 5 years ago)

So far I've grabbed:
  • Octopus Electric Juice card - to discover it works with relatively nothing :)
  • PodPoint App
  • Zap-Map
Are there specific network chargepoints to avoid? or that are known to not work? - I'm aware Tesla Destination Chargers are a go, but supercharger network is closed (for now)
If it's Kirkcaldy, in Fife, then a Charge Place Scotland card and/or app could be essential.

There is a ZapMap page about various network ratings - although my favourite is MFG

Last edited:
If you are with Octopus Energy then get their Electric Juice card as it covers a number of networks and no pre authorization fees.
Instavolt are reliable but they have just put their prices up.

If it's Kirkcaldy, in Fife, then a Charge Place Scotland card and/or app could be essential.

Yes that one. She went North and now only meddles with my life from afar.

CPL card+app then for when I make that trip.

The Bonnet app supposedly covers multiple networks at a single price per kW. If you download it and use the code FULLYCHARGED you get £15 free credit, so even if it's pants, fifteen quid's free charging must be worth it.
Bonnet covers Ladenetz, Osprey, Connected Kerb, FastNed, Char.gy, shell recharge, allego, plug n go, franklin energy, alfa power, evbox and ESB

I found electric juice handy for Ionity, though it is the same price as not using it! :O I cancelled my BP Pulse subscription recently as I was never using it, so wasting £7.whatever a month! I always found them slow anyway and some had issues with the ZS EV.

If you are with Octopus Energy then get their Electric Juice card as it covers a number of networks and no pre authorization fees.
Instavolt are reliable but they have just put their prices up.
They’re all going to have to put their prices up at some point.
InstaVolt are the only big name on Octopuses network which is a shame.
I’ve heard recently that Ionity and GeniePoint are about to join the Bonnet network. I got the Fullycharged promo offer plus signed up to the £50/mth for 200kW. You get the first month free which is 200kW for nothing, just to try it out!! It really has last me the month. I have a referral code too if anyone wants to use it to get £15 for free and drop me a free £15 worth too. (£15 btw at 25p/kW is 60kW = 180miles or £45 worth of petrol - for nothing! :D)

My referral:

Bonnet - EV Charging Made Easy
Download Bonnet to discover how easy it can be to find a place to charge your electric car in the city 🏎. Register with this code to get £15 off your first upfront payment.

Referral code: RKGJP

Also, in case you're ever travelling to France (and no, I'm not on commission, for the same reason I didn't leave my personal bonnet code earlier too, just hope it may be useful to some)

for the same reason I didn't leave my personal bonnet code earlier too,
Ooo, burn 😉
Sorry, I didn’t realise it was against the rules or etiquette or whatever. I just thought of the mutual benefits. I’ve only been using it for a month myself. (For the record, other than using them, I’m not in any way linked to Bonnet) I apologise sincerely if my posting was offensive to anyone. 😔

Ooo, burn 😉
Sorry, I didn’t realise it was against the rules or etiquette or whatever. I just thought of the mutual benefits. I’ve only been using it for a month myself. (For the record, other than using them, I’m not in any way linked to Bonnet) I apologise sincerely if my posting was offensive to anyone. 😔
Hehehehe - no offence intended, so hopefully none taken 🤞
Just making it clear I'm not getting anything out of it (so many things I watch or read now are basically just a huge sponsored product placement).

Indeed. I really rate Octopus and Zen Internet. Both have loyalty/affiliate schemes I never post the codes because it then feels like my endorsement is financially motivated.

Ive snagged the bonnet app, but will hold off signing up until I know I'm going to use it. No point have a freebie allowance starting when I'm not planning any long range trips for 3 months.

Options and lack of simple pay and go suppliers (no App, no Account needed etc) that are a simple as buying a coffee with contactless is very annoying. There are some out there and I try to find Instavolt, most accept any credit card contactless a few older ones need the App. Many times at various suppliers you go through the signup process to find the charger fails to register or some other fault. My advice is to get familiar with 2/3 options, perhaps podpoint/instavolt/? and plan to use those only if you can. Otherwise you will have a pocket full of RfiD cards numerous accounts where you have deposited your card details etc. Used to drive me mad....... or is it just me.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom