• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Aussie EV road tax charge more than ICE or Hybrid ? Crikey!!!

TassiedEVil

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hopefully the cross bench will oppose this, and it looks like this Melbourne rental company is banking on that. What a good idea to have MG ZS EV rentals available to spread the word and give people a real chance to try them out.

Last edited:
Hopefully the cross bench will oppose this, and it looks like this Melbourne rental company is banking on that. What a good idea to have MG ZS EV rentals available to spread the word and give people a real chance to try them out.
Yes - I hope you’re correct.
I just saw that Europcar article and have put it onto the forum as well.

Wait until you see the proposals for Road User charging for the UK which will incorporate changes to car insurance too, Talk about big brother. o_O

"Baroness Brown responded: ‘[Road user charging] is something we were keen on back in the King Review (2007). We were very keen to propose replacing taxes associated with driving with a time, distance, place, emissions, occupancy [charge] – whatever you like now because we can so easily monitor these things. It could be an enormously fair way to treat people. ‘It seems to me that you can have a system that takes emissions into account and that would be fairer to everyone. We are now seeing the insurance companies looking at having this system for charging you based on how and where and when you drive. So this kind of monitoring is coming. At the time of the King review, people were shocked by the idea of the intrusion in privacy, but I think we have moved an awful long way to thinking some of these ideas might be acceptable."

Sounds like an inevitable consequence of all the traffic cameras, electronic road tags, etc etc so we probably shouldn’t be that surprised. And with new cars now being connected to the internet via their onboard computer, there is definitely no escaping BB*!! I’m on the fence about whether this will as “fair” as suggested but I would think those who live and generally drive outside of large cities and lack access to safe and reliable public transport would receive some sort of concession?

* = Baroness Brown or Big Brother😩

This type of stuff alarms me, I've been an advocate for privacy both online and real life for as long as I can remember. I don't want surveillance equipment in my car. The problem is, over the last 20 years or so, society has been sleepwalking into a surveillance state with cameras, smartphones and whatnot now ubiquitous in most places. Add to that the prevalence of Facebook and Google and so on where people readily surrender their privacy in order to use 'products', when in fact the users are the products themselves. Don't get me wrong - these services have benefits, but these are often considered without looking at the privacy costs. Also, these Lords and Ladies are so far detached from the realities of ordinary people it's comical.

Queue the tinfoil hat comments...!

There was a paragraph in the Environmental bill that said " We don't want to swap 40 million ICE vehicles for 40 million big BEV's"
They're expecting the Hoi Polloi to use public transport. :mad:

Can you imagine the scenario this insurance malarkey of wanting to know what, why, where & when you drive.........So you want to travel into town in a 2 ton car between the hours of 07:00 & 18:00 single occupancy, Oooo! Nah mate that's going to be a bit spendy for you. :eek:

When my mate passed her test, in an effort to get a decent insurance quote, she had a telematics box installed... buggers ramped her insurance through the roof because "you're a new driver, and you're driving at times when young people show off". I guess the concept of a lassie in her early 20s using the roads at 1 am because she works shifts is just something they can't make allowances for.

When my mate passed her test, in an effort to get a decent insurance quote, she had a telematics box installed... buggers ramped her insurance through the roof because "you're a new driver, and you're driving at times when young people show off". I guess the concept of a lassie in her early 20s using the roads at 1 am because she works shifts is just something they can't make allowances for.
Does it help reduce premiums if she puts an additional older driver on the policy? It’s a minefield...she needs the car to get to the shift work and needs the shift work to pay for the increased premium to get there🤦‍♀️ Don’t get me started about the practicalities and safety of public transport at night for single females. Life is pretty complicated now.
I would have thought less traffic, less accidents at that time of night! Maybe when the black box collects some more data about her very sensible driving habits, they will adjust the premium accordingly.
Infuriating!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom