Auto main beam

iainfm

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,

Got a quick question about auto main (high) beam. I've got mine enabled, and it's working well. However there are some times when I'd dip my lights when the car doesn't spot the need to (eg another vehicle approaching a T-junction perpendicular to me).

I can cancel the main beam by either pushing or pulling the indicator stalk, which is fine, but this seems to cancel auto main beam altoghether (the headlamp indicator with the 'A' in it goes out on the dash).

Does anyone know how to re-enable it? Maybe it just re-arms itself after a while?

Cheers,
Iain

The manual says certain criteria have to be met (abient lighting levels, road speed etc). It also says 'the system will temporarily suspend ... once the following conditions are met:

"... Instantaneously pull the lighting lever towards the steering wheel, the smart function will be temporarily suspended and it will automaticall be re-instated after the switch is released."

and

"Note: Continuously operating the main beam switch within 2 seconds [of what?, Ed] will retain the main beam lamps under automatic control, and the system will not exit the smart main beam function".

So, that's clear as mud. Once again I have to ask why manufacturers can't spend a little bit more of their development budget making the instruction manual make sense. This observation is not limited to MG by any means :ROFLMAO:

It's a bit tricky testing this because you have to be going at least 25mph for the system to arm.

Yeah can someone say how I have it "OFF" and how I then turn it back "ON" because I am more confused than I was!

I rotated the end of the headlight lever on the ZS, it is sprung.

Hi,

Got a quick question about auto main (high) beam. I've got mine enabled, and it's working well. However there are some times when I'd dip my lights when the car doesn't spot the need to (eg another vehicle approaching a T-junction perpendicular to me).

I can cancel the main beam by either pushing or pulling the indicator stalk, which is fine, but this seems to cancel auto main beam altoghether (the headlamp indicator with the 'A' in it goes out on the dash).

Does anyone know how to re-enable it? Maybe it just re-arms itself after a while?

Cheers,
Iain
In my test drive with the HS, we used the auto main beam quite a lot (overnight test drive). I found that

1) The auto main beam will reactive after around 10 seconds of being manually deactivated, given that the appropriate conditions are met

2) auto main beam works brilliantly on all roads except country lanes, where it works terribly blinding other drivers.

In my test drive with the HS, we used the auto main beam quite a lot (overnight test drive). I found that

1) The auto main beam will reactive after around 10 seconds of being manually deactivated, given that the appropriate conditions are met

2) auto main beam works brilliantly on all roads except country lanes, where it works terribly blinding other drivers.
Isn't country lanes where you would need it most ?

Did anyone work out how to turn the function on? There is nothing in the infotainment menus I could see on the MG5 LR. I did have it and managed to turn it off but it’s never come on on its own since.

I turned mine off a couple of weeks ago after being embarrassed one too many times either by them not dipping quickly enough for oncoming traffic, or going into 'blind' mode when I've tried to give a quick flash!

I think it was in the vehicle menu, but I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know if it's vanished completely or not!

Did anyone work out how to turn the function on? There is nothing in the infotainment menus I could see on the MG5 LR. I did have it and managed to turn it off but it’s never come on on its own since.
Off the top of my head...I think it is....

Twist (not pull) the end of the headlight stalk clockwise, i.e. top towards you, and it will spring back.
You should see notification briefly on dash. Toggles off the same way.

Looking at the manual it's part of the automatic headlight mode. So just set it back to auto and it will do its thing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom