Bad experiences with Electroverse and Credit cards - things to watch out for!

shpub

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Contactless payments only work if the total amount of contactless transactions made is less than £300. As soon as you go over this , the card needs to be inserted and pinn'd to reset the limit. Fine when in a shop etc but at a charger that only has a contactless reader, the card cannot be used! No money, no electricity. Instavolt appear to be one of the few that allow insert and pin to reset the card.

If your Electroverse card works but the app does not, make sure you do not have two accounts and the app login is different to the login associated with the card. We think this is why I was having problems. Currently in discussion with Octopus.

In both cases, it looked like a charging issue as the screen would show the charging process starting but then failing when the card got declined.

Background:

Just had a pleasant few days away and enjoyed no problems charging with the electroverse card at a FastNed rapid and a PlugtoGo type 2. Coming back needed a quick splash to get home - had enough but as a new owner so didn't want to risk anything. Found a Shell Recharge Rapid at Waitrose but could not get it to work, Eventually gave up as it would not even take a contactless and kept going into a loop saying checking payment! Went to a Morrisons and a similar problem as the reader would not recognise anything. The display showed a weird IP address so put it down to faulty unit. Then went to some Osprey units. Again same problem except the units were also turning down my credit card! They would also not release the plug. Had to keep turning off and on on the car to release it.

Ended up at Instavolt and same card problem. Tried my wife's card and that only worked in non-contactless mode. Charging started and we got home. It was the only unit that had a swipe and pin function!

Last edited:
I had a similar thing when I first got my EV and was trying various apps etc.
The Gridserve at Sutton Scotney would not take a CC as it needed to go into a chip and pin machine first.
I didn't know about the £300 limit thing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom