Basic wall charger.

remarkable1967

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi all,
Just about to contact our electrician about prices to install a wall charger so that it is in place before the car arrives (MG4). Based on the fact that the car has a phone app that allows scheduled charging, can you actually buy a standard no frills wall box that has no read out an you simply plug in to it and then use the phone app? Just looking to keep costs down if a digital screen and functions on the actual wall box aren't necessary. I don't mind if it looks a bit industrial rather than a sleek, branded thingy. Just wondering if such a thing exists.
Thanks...... Mark

If you want a single phase power supply for charging up to around 7kwh then you will need a proper EV wall box that is suitably and safely installed.
Even the ‘basic’ wall boxes need to have certain handshake protocols for connecting to the car. Some owners use an installed commando socket and a suitable plug in like the Ohme
I don’t think there is a ‘cheap‘ option if you want to charge your car at around 7kwhr.
Also bear in mind that you may want a smart wall box in the future to take into account smart tariffs and detect the best times on the grid etc.

If you want a single phase power supply for charging up to around 7kwh then you will need a proper EV wall box that is suitably and safely installed.
Even the ‘basic’ wall boxes need to have certain handshake protocols for connecting to the car. Some owners use an installed commando socket and a suitable plug in like the Ohme
I don’t think there is a ‘cheap‘ option if you want to charge your car at around 7kwhr.
Also bear in mind that you may want a smart wall box in the future to take into account smart tariffs and detect the best times on the grid etc.
Thanks for the advice. Seems fair. I just didn't want to buy features I wouldn't use.
Ta.... Mark

I may be incorrect, but I think all EVSE’s have to be ‘smart’ now. I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus - it’s not fancy, just has a ring of LED’s, but no digital display. I could use the Wallbox app to schedule charging, but I prefer to use the iSMART app.

This chap rebuilt my EVSE for a very reasonable prices and I see he apparently supplies complete wall chargers at a quite keen price, based on the latest Viridian EPC - but you'd obviously have the cost of cabling and installation etc on top.

I feel Susanna has a point though, that they all need to be smart these days - worth checking.

I may be incorrect, but I think all EVSE’s have to be ‘smart’ now. I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus - it’s not fancy, just has a ring of LED’s, but no digital display. I could use the Wallbox app to schedule charging, but I prefer to use the iSMART app.
Thanks Susanna,
That's more like it. Just looked on glowev.co.uk and a teathered unit is £489.00. Podpoint is £900+ and Zappi is around £800. The wallbox unit Seams like a no brainer unless i'm missing something.
Cheers......Mark

You have to pay to get the Pulsar installed which will be about another £400-£500. You’ll find that they all start at around £1000 installed.

You have to pay to get the Pulsar installed which will be about another £400-£500. You’ll find that they all start at around £1000 installed.
The Podpoint and Zappi prices are supply only so would still need installation costs adding. I'll pass the Wallbox details on to my Electrician and see what he comes back with.
Thanks..... Mark

Hi all,
Just about to contact our electrician about prices to install a wall charger so that it is in place before the car arrives (MG4). Based on the fact that the car has a phone app that allows scheduled charging, can you actually buy a standard no frills wall box that has no read out an you simply plug in to it and then use the phone app? Just looking to keep costs down if a digital screen and functions on the actual wall box aren't necessary. I don't mind if it looks a bit industrial rather than a sleek, branded thingy. Just wondering if such a thing exists.
Thanks...... Mark
Hi Mark,
Is your electrician trained or registered as an EVSE installer as there are extra regs for this type of electrical work.

Hi Mark,
Is your electrician trained or registered as an EVSE installer as there are extra regs for this type of electrical work.
Hi. Yes I has already discussed this and a solar install when he upgraded our consumer unit in the summer. He always keeps up with regulations as he fits commercial premises chargers quite regularly.

Apparently the legislation has or is just changing.

From December 30, 2022, new laws will be introduced to help electric car drivers charge their vehicles at home. The latest Schedule 1: Security compliance regulations are being applied at the end of the year, following on from the Electric Vehicles (Smart Charge Points) Regulations that came into force in June 2022.
These latest additional requirements cover cybersecurity and tamper-protection of the charging devices.
Any installers wishing to fit non-compliant EV chargers from 31 December 2022, will have to seek prior approval from the Office for Product Safety and Standards.

People also need to ensure that the charge point has a unique passport and is not set by owner, in a bid to protect people’s personal information.
According to most modern smart chargers are already complying with this

Hi. Yes I has already discussed this and a solar install when he upgraded our consumer unit in the summer. He always keeps up with regulations as he fits commercial premises chargers quite regularly.
If you are having solar panels it would be worth making sure your EV charger has the capability to use them to charge the car.
A Zappi isn't the cheapest but it gives the flexibility to charge the car from more than one supply.

My solar panels generated 0.1 Kw yesterday. You won't get far on that, not after your parasitic load has eaten its portion!

Summertime is a different story but you need quite a few to be of much real benefit for a car.

This includes a ‘standard’ installation
Thanks for this link Cocijo. My electrician came back with reasonable cost of £250+ materials to install Wallbox charger so I wouldn't actually save very much on the installed price you mentioned. Will probably go with your suggestions so many thanks..... Mark

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom