Batteries in EVs best way to look after them

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi everyone in the MGEVs podcast on Monday 4th March there was once again a fair amount of discussion about charging your EV well the 2 videos below I think give a very clear explanation of what is considered best practice for different types of batteries in the first one.

And the 2nd one answers many questions about checking the state of heath ( SOH ) and how you can do it.

Hope this helps some of you here, both are subjects which often crop up and this guys explanation is one of the best I have come across in my opinion for owners of EVs.
Les

Hi everyone in the MGEVs podcast on Monday 4th March there was once again a fair amount of discussion about charging your EV well the 2 videos below I think give a very clear explanation of what is considered best practice for different types of batteries in the first one.

And the 2nd one answers many questions about checking the state of heath ( SOH ) and how you can do it.

Hope this helps some of you here, both are subjects which often crop up and this guys explanation is one of the best I have come across in my opinion for owners of EVs.
Les

Brill thanks for sharing.

I’m sitting in waiting for the wife & watched the first video.

Best video I’ve seen talking about why it’s best to keep the battery under 80% ( not all of the time & not with all batteries )

& very interesting he says he thinks the accessory battery doesn’t get charged if the main traction battery is 20% or under but he did say this varies on different cars.

Thanks for posting this, I will watch the next video when home later 👍

There has been a suspicion that the percentage may be as high as 50% on the MG4. It does make sense for the car at some point to decide to preserve the traction battery at the expense of letting the 12v go flat, but 50%, if true, is ridiculous.

Interestingly an EV in the USA that was abandoned in a dealer's car park with only 50 miles on the clock was discovered ten years later still to have 30% charge in its (LFP) traction battery, and a flat 12v.

My favourite battery care video is this one. Informative and reassuring.

I guess this is kind of similar to all the advice about ICE cars and how to get the most life out of them. Things like never letting the fuel tank get too low (so you didn't get gunk in the fuel filter), not revving the engine too much until it had recached working temperature etc etc.

I expect electric cars will be treated with the same range of care as ICE cars with some owners doing as much as possible to look after them and others just using them as a tool for transportation.

I guess this is kind of similar to all the advice about ICE cars and how to get the most life out of them. Things like never letting the fuel tank get too low (so you didn't get gunk in the fuel filter), not revving the engine too much until it had recached working temperature etc etc.

I expect electric cars will be treated with the same range of care as ICE cars with some owners doing as much as possible to look after them and others just using them as a tool for transportation.
100% agree, people will treat them no different to how they treat ICE cars

It’s been said on these forums, how many people buy a new car whether it be petrol/diesel or an EV & even read the manual?

How many have got the time, patience to follow every recommendation to the letter?

I talked to a neighbour recently, he has an MG ZS EV, at the time I spoke to him it had just under 7000 miles. He can’t have a home charger & said when him & wife go on the weekend shopping trip, whatever his battery % is on, he sticks it on a fast charger & mostly charges it to 100%, he’s had no issues

Now I’m ( was ) due to have a home charger installed April/May but we are moving next February to a new home which has a driveway & garage. I might as well save the money on having a charger installed now & part of garden concreted over, the money saved will cover the public charging costs until we move next year. By then my car will probably be on around 5000-6000 miles, I’m sure it will survive on 50kw public chargers until then

Have said all that, there’s always people who treat cars like crap. Have the car 2-3 years & already scrapes on it, probably never check oil/water etc until they get a warning light telling them to.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom