I think there's going to be another video of his return journey. He'll have to go back over the Bealach, but after that I think he said he's taking a different route ending up alongside Loch Ness.

Apparently that car was wearing summer tyres. Braver man than I am.

YouTuber driving a Tesla from Inverness to Applecross. If you're going to do that route, this is the perfect time of year and the perfect weather.

Absolutely stunning.

My favourite road to 'test' a new car whenever I get one, over the hill and follow the road North to near Shieldaig before turning for home.

Anyone doing this in an EV should note that there's no 3 phase power on the Applecross side of the hills so no Rapid chargers, make sure you have enough charge to do the round trip :)

Fair warning. I think that guy was planning on doing the entire round trip from Inverness on one charge, but that's a notably long-range car. Mere mortals in 51 kwh cars will need to plan.

ETA. I checked and it's barely 80 miles from Inverness to Applecross. ABRP says there and back on one charge is fine in summer even for the SR, and would only need a few minutes at a 50 kw charger on the way back in winter. We tend to forget that these east-west distances aren't that long, and because you're driving slowly on narrow roads, fuel efficiency is quite good.

I loved the regeneration he was getting on the way back down!

ETA again. With the round trip, coming back the long way round by Loch Ness, it's still only a single 25-minute charge on the way back. In winter.

Last edited:
You know, that looked so fabulous I'm definitely tempted. It looks scary, but I know the Tesco delivery vans do it all the time, and if Mr Just-Get-A-Tesla didn't kill himself doing it in summer tyres, well...

You know, that looked so fabulous I'm definitely tempted. It looks scary, but I know the Tesco delivery vans do it all the time, and if Mr Just-Get-A-Tesla didn't kill himself doing it in summer tyres, well...

I've done it in thick fog before now, that was scary! the scariest thing usually is the lesser spotted campervan straining to get up the hill.

There are Rapids at Gairloch and at Achnasheen which are within easy reach if you find yourself low.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom