Bent Bracket at underside of MG ZS EV

molyneaux76

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Good day everyone,

Drove over a hump and heard a loud scraping sound under the car. This is what I saw when I checked it out. It appears that this bar behind the front wheels is bent after getting caught on the hump. Does any one have any idea what this bar/bracket does, and is the damage serious?
Thank you very much.

IMG_2399.jpeg
IMG_2407.jpeg

Looks like some kind of bracing bar. It could probably be beaten back into shape but the bigger job would be straightening the thing it's bolted to!

Looks like some kind of bracing bar. It could probably be beaten back into shape but the bigger job would be straightening the thing it's bolted to!

Thanks for your reponse. I hope it’s not serious. I took a good look at it. The bar and bracket it’s bolted to appear bent. I really can’t figure out the role of a bar like that which can get caught and bend from driving over a hump. It appears it got caught on a rock that was projecting from the hump but not seen because of vegetation covering. There are no scratches to the underbody that I can see.

Is it some type of protection brace to help protect the electric motor / traction battery when the ground clearance has been compromised ?.
If so, it worked in your case !.
A bit like a sump guard on a fossil car.
I think you have been unlucky and lucky at the same time.
Getting this close to either the motor casing or the traction battery is never going to end well !.

Late reply to this post, but I have the same bent bar on my ZS EV. I only noticed it the day after buying the car so I popped to an MG dealer who said it protects the motor and battery from impact and has done its job. It’s a cheap replacement apparently.

It looks like a support for that plastic undertray? Most cars have to help reduce drag underneath the car. Probably not structural so to speak, but needs sorting.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom