Beware of car insurance costs

Car insurance cost are rocketing here is one reason why the video mainly addresses JLR vehicles but many different makes and models can be affected
Les

I has Faraday cage at home. But I never carry one out to supermarket. Maybe I need carry my Faraday pouch out with me. I need to move key fob from non-protected compartment to the protected one after locking the car. I loose convenience. MG was not mentioned in the video. Maybe I just take chance?

I am approaching retirement age with max NCD, no claim/no accident/no theft. My issuance premium in London increased from 300 to 600 when I switch from old hybrid to new EV last year. Now my 2nd year premium on EV is 700. It is a big jump. I thought it was inflation. Could it be keyless feature?

Last edited:
Hi it’s a good question about the keyless feature and as we know more and more vehicles come fitted with it nowadays.
Another feature is the need these days not to require a key to start lots of vehicles it appears from that video there are ways to avoid the car being stolen as the video showed JLR are calling cars back to have new devices fitted after many have been stolen but why the heck was it not fitted in the first place is the question.

And the device shown in the video where the guy has to enter a PIN number to start the car surely that could be fitted to any car in fact I’m sure my sons Tesla has that set up.

There are many reasons why insurance is going up and up one of the issues with MG is the lack of body panels that I do know for a fact.
Les

Just curious, has anyone who uses a steering wheel lock or similar, managed to get lower premiums?
I have one. I dont even mention it in case they say you always have to use it. I only put it on outside my house as our local ring doorbells group has videos of people in the middle of the night coming up to the front door with those key scanner theft things. I also keep the keys in a blocking pouch thing at the rear of the house.

Makes you wonder what sort of theft protection would lower the premiums, some extreme examples below

They won't steal your MG4. Takes too long to disable LKA. 🤣
Not a issue on my wife’s 4 Tom as it stays off when set to off, it as been like that from the first week she had it 20 months ago but she and I are in the habit of checking it was very strong in the beginning.
I have no idea why I switched it off on day one and it’s always off now when it was serviced I ask the dealer not to do any software updates if it might mean it would come on again so they didn’t.
Les

They won't steal your MG4. Takes too long to disable LKA. 🤣
That's what my husband said, closely followed by 'even if they had the key to the steering lock, it takes so long to take it off, they just won't bother'. Why yes, I did struggle the first few times I put it on and off. :) The only place I don't use the steering lock is at work, which is a secured site.

That's what my husband said, closely followed by 'even if they had the key to the steering lock, it takes so long to take it off, they just won't bother'. Why yes, I did struggle the first few times I put it on and off. :) The only place I don't use the steering lock is at work, which is a secured site.
It is very expensive on time cost with steering wheel lock. I drove 4k miles a year. It would be about 400 times. It took one minute to lock and one minute to unlock. It cost 800 minutes or 13 hours every year.

I have two 4k cameras watching my car with color vision at night. I bought best security camera (Hikvision colorvu from Aliexpress) and wireless doorbell (Ezviz from Argos) . Unfortunately my insurance company do not ask for security camera for discount.

Edit: Hikvision is a professional grade security camera that you may find at building site. Installer is required because of sophisticated setting on AI detecting mode animal filtering, monitor boundary, car and human triggering. Upgradable version is preferred for security.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very expensive on time cost with steering wheel lock. I drove 4k miles a year. It would be about 400 times. It took one minute to lock and one minute to unlock. It cost 800 minutes or 13 hours every year.
It would cost a lot more in time reporting the theft to the police and dealing with the insurance company never mind the inconvenience.

Todays Auto express has an article about how and why insurance cost are rising I don’t know how to place it in here ( maybe someone here can help with that ) but if you down load Auto express this insurance article can be found under the heading of Goodwood festival of speed where the MG Cyberster is to take center stage in this year’s festival of speed.
Les

This article?

Hi Siteguru no that’s not the one I was referring to but I thank you for trying no the one was published on the 12/03 yesterday in fact here’s a screen shot thanks again
Les
IMG_6716.png

Hi @Les burrows, I saw that one too but didn't think you were referring to the specific MG one. 🤷‍♂️ (Both articles are dated 08-Mar-24).

BTW - you can simply copy the link/address of the article and paste it in a reply here. :)

A lot of negativity there, and a pop at MG which doesn't seem entirely warranted, but they have some good points.

I assume you have just been reading the article that Siteguru had kindly copied in response to my post.

Well Rolfe I had never seen that article and have just had a read of it, some negativity I agree but lots of truth as well you have to agree, as there are or have been many reports and posts on this and other forums about many makes and models about the lack of or very poor supply of spare parts and more importantly for the ABI the availability of body panels and trims over 18 months 1 owner of a MG5 waited for a HVAC unit a neighbour of mine 10 months wait for body panels others awaiting months for brake parts my wife’s MG4 20 months old now still waiting for an under-tray but I hope being replace later this week been ordered 2/3 times but never came and it’s not just MGs
I just hope we can stay away from and kind of accident or breakdown.
Les

Hi @Les burrows, I saw that one too but didn't think you were referring to the specific MG one. 🤷‍♂️ (Both articles are dated 08-Mar-24).

BTW - you can simply copy the link/address of the article and paste it in a reply here. :)

Hi again Siteguru and many thanks for your input I’m not the best with tech to be honest
And do appreciate your help.
Yeh this appears to be quoted more and more about the reason for the cost of insurance today that with the increase in thief of vehicles we have little are no chance of prices coming down soon I don’t think
Thanks again
Les

I assume you have just been reading the article that Siteguru had kindly copied in response to my post.

Well Rolfe I had never seen that article and have just had a read of it, some negativity I agree but lots of truth as well you have to agree, as there are or have been many reports and posts on this and other forums about many makes and models about the lack of or very poor supply of spare parts and more importantly for the ABI the availability of body panels and trims over 18 months 1 owner of a MG5 waited for a HVAC unit a neighbour of mine 10 months wait for body panels others awaiting months for brake parts my wife’s MG4 20 months old now still waiting for an under-tray but I hope being replace later this week been ordered 2/3 times but never came and it’s not just MGs
I just hope we can stay away from and kind of accident or breakdown.
Les

You assume correctly, that was why I quoted @siteguru's post.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom