• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Bigger wheels, wider tyres, boy racer 4 life 😂

What offset is needed?
It will depend on the wheel width, and how far you want them to be pushed out towards the arches.

These wheels have an 8.5" width, and 35mm offset. As compared to the 7" width and 41mm offset of the OEM wheels, this gives around 25mm extra towards the arch, and 13mm extra towards the suspension.

If you were going for an 8" wide wheel, then the same 35mm offset would give 18mm towards the arch and 7mm to the suspension. To keep the similar stance (axle width) as mine, you'd want a 30mm offset with the 8" wheel (gives 24mm to the arch and 1mm to the suspension side).

The wheel/tyre combination which I've gone for is about as close as you'd like to go towards the suspension. I could probably get away with 5mm spacers to bring the wheel out flush with the wheel arch, and still maintain clearance on turning / compression over bumps.

Reassuring to know, had to pay more for tinted windows....

All depends on your insurer I guess. I added tints right when renewal was due. Then shopped around and it was zero additional cost. Tints are handy from an interior security perspective, if you're on the rob your less likely to smash a tinted window as 1. you can't see if there are any valuables and 2. you might encounter a 6+ft 16stone angry man grabbing you through the window. :ROFLMAO:

Or people with to much money?

too? Or people who value their eyes and skin? Small price to pay to avoid lasting damage to you physically.... not to mention the protection on the interior from fading. (y)

It will depend on the wheel width, and how far you want them to be pushed out towards the arches.

These wheels have an 8.5" width, and 35mm offset. As compared to the 7" width and 41mm offset of the OEM wheels, this gives around 25mm extra towards the arch, and 13mm extra towards the suspension.

If you were going for an 8" wide wheel, then the same 35mm offset would give 18mm towards the arch and 7mm to the suspension. To keep the similar stance (axle width) as mine, you'd want a 30mm offset with the 8" wheel (gives 24mm to the arch and 1mm to the suspension side).

The wheel/tyre combination which I've gone for is about as close as you'd like to go towards the suspension. I could probably get away with 5mm spacers to bring the wheel out flush with the wheel arch, and still maintain clearance on turning / compression over bumps.
I do like the look of those alloys, off a ZS you say? Have you put smaller tyres on yet?
Cheers

All depends on your insurer I guess. I added tints right when renewal was due. Then shopped around and it was zero additional cost. Tints are handy from an interior security perspective, if you're on the rob your less likely to smash a tinted window as 1. you can't see if there are any valuables and 2. you might encounter a 6+ft 16stone angry man grabbing you through the window. :ROFLMAO:

too? Or people who value their eyes and skin? Small price to pay to avoid lasting damage to you physically.... not to mention the protection on the interior from fading. (y)
Plus it's more difficult to shatter a window with film on it.

My skins black so no problem!

Yeah, I definitely recommend the tints. Go as dark as you like behind the B Pillar. Fronts need to allow 75% light transmission.
I saw on an earlier post, that someone had bought an zs ev from yourselves as an ex demo, and it already had tints when purchased. Do you have a local firm that do them for you?

Hi all,

Thought I could share a couple of photos of my (wife's) MG ZS EV, which has been lightly modified (initially by @shikoku14 ) with tints all round, and now by myself with the addition of some new wheels and tyres.

The original wheel specifications from MG are 17" X 7", ET41, with 215/50R17 tyres.
The wheel PCD is 5x112mm (same as Audi/VW/Mercedes etc), with a centre bore of 56.1mm

I decided to get a set of slightly larger diameter (18") wheels, with a wider fitment (8.5" wide), and a slightly wider offset (ET35), which means that compared to normal, the wheel edge sits around 1" further towards the arch of the car, and 0.5" closer towards the suspension turret.

I got the wheels off eBay (bit of a bargain, they came with a set of nearly new Michelin CrossClimate tyres, unfortunately they were the wrong tyre size to fit the MG, but cost £299 for the set!).

Tyres removed (and up for sale!), I then got some Nexen N'Fera SU1 tyres (good reviews, and quite competitively priced) in a 235/45R18 size. This is a bit taller than the standard tyre (closer in diameter to the 215/55R17 which MG now fit on the ZS EV in India), giving 11mm additional ride height.

I think that they fill the arches better than the original wheel and tyre combination, and make the car look a bit better in terms of stance.

Let me know what you think!

View attachment 2476View attachment 2477View attachment 2478
GOM and speedo will need recalibrating.

I saw on an earlier post, that someone had bought an zs ev from yourselves as an ex demo, and it already had tints when purchased. Do you have a local firm that do them for you?
Global tints are a mobile tinting service I think.
A quick check on- line should give you your nearest agent.
In my area, they will only travel a max of about 30 miles to tint your car.
They do not have a base camp that you can visit as such.

That looks much better. The wheels have been a major visual design floor on the zs. They are way to small for the car, they have let the appearance of the car down.
Yours looks great take not MG.

In Europe we got use to the small size being 17inch
So anything smaller looks wrong. Unless its on a small car, just look at peugeot 2008 or the mokka or ds3 they are all 17 or 18 inch
Toyota yaris cross or ford eco nothing below 17 inch.
This is very much an Asian thing as most cars still run on 15 inch wheels

Hi all,

Thought I could share a couple of photos of my (wife's) MG ZS EV, which has been lightly modified (initially by @shikoku14 ) with tints all round, and now by myself with the addition of some new wheels and tyres.

The original wheel specifications from MG are 17" X 7", ET41, with 215/50R17 tyres.
The wheel PCD is 5x112mm (same as Audi/VW/Mercedes etc), with a centre bore of 56.1mm

I decided to get a set of slightly larger diameter (18") wheels, with a wider fitment (8.5" wide), and a slightly wider offset (ET35), which means that compared to normal, the wheel edge sits around 1" further towards the arch of the car, and 0.5" closer towards the suspension turret.

I got the wheels off eBay (bit of a bargain, they came with a set of nearly new Michelin CrossClimate tyres, unfortunately they were the wrong tyre size to fit the MG, but cost £299 for the set!).

Tyres removed (and up for sale!), I then got some Nexen N'Fera SU1 tyres (good reviews, and quite competitively priced) in a 235/45R18 size. This is a bit taller than the standard tyre (closer in diameter to the 215/55R17 which MG now fit on the ZS EV in India), giving 11mm additional ride height.

I think that they fill the arches better than the original wheel and tyre combination, and make the car look a bit better in terms of stance.

View attachment 2476View attachment 2477View attachment 2478
Hi all,

View attachment 2476View attachment 2477View attachment 2478View attachment 2477View attachment 2478
Just a thought, but don't you think that by putting bigger wheels on you might have voided your warranty? Bigger wheels alter the drive ratio and increases the load on the motor. Also this will cause a higher current to be drawn under acceleration. Can the battery fuse cope with it?

Just a thought, but don't you think that by putting bigger wheels on you might have voided your warranty? Bigger wheels alter the drive ratio and increases the load on the motor. Also this will cause a higher current to be drawn under acceleration. Can the battery fuse cope with it?
Not if the overall diameter of the tyre is the same (AKA rolling radius).
E.g. Bigger wheel, but smaller sidewall via lower profile tyre.

Yes - as you quite rightly say the profile of the tyre can be used to maintain the rolling radius - or close to it.
Even by say adding an inch to the wheel size and not adjusting with a different tyre size (which would of corse impact rolling radius) I’m struggling to see how this might add any more load on a motor than say going uphill? As far as blowing a fuse or drawing a higher current - isn’t that why there is a bms to control that? As far as voiding a warranty - I’d be interested to hear what exact part of the warranty might be voided by changing the wheels and tyres? 🙂

Yes - as you quite rightly say the profile of the tyre can be used to maintain the rolling radius - or close to it.
Even by say adding an inch to the wheel size and not adjusting with a different tyre size (which would of corse impact rolling radius) I’m struggling to see how this might add any d mored tyres load on a motor than say going uphill? As far as blowing a fuse or drawing a higher current - isn’t that why there is a bms to control that? As far as voiding a warranty - I’d be interested to hear what exact part of the warranty might be voided by changing the wheels and

Even by say adding an inch to the wheel size and not adjusting with a different tyre size (which would of corse impact rolling radius) I’m struggling to see how this might add any more load on a motor than say going uphill? As far as blowing a fuse or drawing a higher current - isn’t that why there is a bms to control that? As far as voiding a warranty - I’d be interested to hear what exact part of the warranty might be voided by changing the wheels and tyres? 🙂
The wheels fill the arches more so the radius must be bigger altering the drive ratio that the motor was designed for. The car drive spec has been altered so the manufacturer could void the warranty.

The wheels fill the arches more so the radius must be bigger altering the drive ratio that the motor was designed for. The car drive spec has been altered so the manufacturer could void the warranty.
The OP has increased his overall diameter by 0.8", about the same difference between a tyre worn down to the limit and a new tyre, hardly a life changing amount and I'm sure less load on the motor than the tolerances allow for.

Very nice, much better than the 17'' standard, but what about the efficiency? The range? And the acceleration? Did you notice any change?

I've changed my wheels and tyres, but should I have any warranty issues with steering or suspension components, I'll be putting the originals back on before approaching an MG dealer!

As any none supplied wheel and tyre combination will be of a different weight to the original, and in my case, different tyre width, its a perfect opportunity for the wrong sort of dealer to argue a suspension or steering warranty issue is down to the wheel change. Even though its unlikely to be so, we all know the MG dealer network is riddled with the "wrong sort" of dealerships, so it pays to be a little canny! ;)

Very nice, much better than the 17'' standard, but what about the efficiency? The range? And the acceleration? Did you notice any change?
As another driver running 18" wheels and wider tyres, I can advise there is no discernable difference to range or acceleration at all.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom