• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Boot flooring

Severnless

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Got the MG5 last Saturday, great car but as a lot of people have said the boot flooring is what I can only call cheeeeeeeeeep
I mean come on, corrugated plastic 4mm thick ain’t going to last with the tools I’ve got to lug around....... so whilst I was on site today, I’ve used some 12mm birch ply and made a proper base for the boot.
Tried to make it as one piece but it was to hard to get in and out so ended up splitting it.

FEE8AE74-B7D9-4CE9-B252-AA76DECE509B.jpeg7C6AD33E-E6CF-4463-A32A-D9E0517F0BF9.jpegD1E8B00E-9749-41B3-A747-67F40248CD57.jpeg176AE4CE-24A6-4C76-BE2D-CB46E3B0C99C.jpeg7A70929D-5319-4755-83EC-8F8044CD7D7A.jpeg76C98918-775A-4BB5-B2A2-6D8A3E9BC155.jpeg

I’ve removed the carpet disc that sits on top of the spare from the old boot base and then put that back on top.
All told very happy.
If anyone else wants a base like this Let me know..

Looks great. I ended up splitting mine as well as it was such a pain to get in and out. Was struggling to get materials nearby mid lockdown so ended up making it out of old loft boards. Fortunately a covering of carpet made it look a lot tidier. Love the finish on yours.

Looks great. I ended up splitting mine as well as it was such a pain to get in and out. Was struggling to get materials nearby mid lockdown so ended up making it out of old loft boards. Fortunately a covering of carpet made it look a lot tidier. Love the finish on yours.
Thanks for the positive comments, to be honest birch plywood is the only ply that I ever use, as it is so stable and it holds its shape (doesn’t bow) but the down side is the cost, it ain’t cheap.

how much would you charge ?
Love the new floor, looks like a well made job. What's the cost involved in producing them
A sheet of 12mm birch cost me £37 plus vat so £44.40 each per sheet
So £45 for a set.
Hope that’s 👍
Cheers

I have used 2 layers of 50mm dense foam to lift the boot floor 10cm and eliminate the drop over the lip. Used spray contact adhesive to glue the two sheets together. Now have a useful storage area below the boot floor.

bought from Amazon. Amazon product ASIN B077JGZXR6
then bought a 1.2m*2.4m sheet of 4mm Correx sheet and cut out two sheets to go below the existing boot cover and above the foam to strengthen the cover.

Amazon product ASIN B074SY1X5R

Attachments

• 4BCB5ECE-98EB-4F56-985D-7AB4D39B9A41.jpeg
    4BCB5ECE-98EB-4F56-985D-7AB4D39B9A41.jpeg
    484.3 KB · Views: 284
Thanks for the positive comments, to be honest birch plywood is the only ply that I ever use, as it is so stable and it holds its shape (doesn’t bow) but the down side is the cost, it ain’t cheap.

So £45 for a set.
Hope that’s 👍

So £45 for a set.
Hope that’s 👍
Cheers
sounds good what about P+P

Hi, just raised my floor level by about 80mm using a large piece of Polystyrene and ply wood. I had read that the rear seat base cames out but do the rear seat backs come out too?

Attachments

• IMG_20210620_133227.jpg
    IMG_20210620_133227.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20210620_133234.jpg
    IMG_20210620_133234.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20210620_133250.jpg
    IMG_20210620_133250.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_20210620_133356.jpg
    IMG_20210620_133356.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 252
Hi, just raised my floor level by about 80mm using a large piece of Polystyrene and ply wood. I had read that the rear seat base cames out but do the rear seat backs come out too?
I have not been able to remove the rear seat backs, but my passenger side seat back hinges ( the wider one ) do seem a bit loose compared to the narrower driver side one.

I have not been able to remove the rear seat backs, but my passenger side seat back hinges ( the wider one ) do seem a bit loose compared to the narrower driver side one.
It was while I was playing that the shorter back came out of it hinge slot but I was going to take it out incase it wouldn't go back in so wondered if someone else had taken it out completely

Nice idea, But I don’t like the idea of losing capacity, so I just needed to strengthen the flooring.
I guess you’ve not seen inside a Ioniq’s boot? Hyundai have done the same to get the battery pack in, so lost a ton of space.
Just seems a bit pointless imo

Nice idea, But I don’t like the idea of losing capacity, so I just needed to strengthen the flooring.
I guess you’ve not seen inside a Ioniq’s boot? Hyundai have done the same to get the battery pack in, so lost a ton of space.
Just seems a bit pointless imo
I wasn't too bothered about loosing a bit of space as I wanted the floor level higher. The polystyrene will come out easily for holidaying and I can still use the ply wood.

Are you still making the Wood panels for the base ?
Don't think my dogs will last long standing on the thin boot cover on its own
35KG each, I imagine they will go through it quickly

Are you still making the Wood panels for the base ?
Don't think my dogs will last long standing on the thin boot cover on its own
35KG each, I imagine they will go through it quickly
Yep I have one set left gathering dust, if you want to pm me your address I can get a price for delivery

Yep I have one set left gathering dust, if you want to pm me your address I can get a price for delivery
Thanks,
When checking the boot of the 5LR it already had Split level capability & a thick boot floor,
I will see how sturdy it is when I get the car & get back to you

Thanks,
When checking the boot of the 5LR it already had Split level capability & a thick boot floor,
I will see how sturdy it is when I get the car & get back to you
if your getting the long range 5 , you won’t need the boot flooring upgrade, it was only a problem on the standard range 5.
enjoy the quiet 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom