Boot Locking

Deep purple

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I expect many owners will already know this but probably worth posting anyway for those who don't.
If you open just the boot when the car is locked and shut it again it is locked automatically. However if you put the key into the boot (as I did in error) and shut the lid then after about a second the boot unlocks and pops open. I thought initially that something was stopping the boot shutting properly but after 2 attempts realised that it was trying to tell me something. Retrieved the key from my backpack which I had thrown in the boot and it all worked fine again.

I expect many owners will already know this but probably worth posting anyway for those who don't.
If you open just the boot when the car is locked and shut it again it is locked automatically. However if you put the key into the boot (as I did in error) and shut the lid then after about a second the boot unlocks and pops open. I thought initially that something was stopping the boot shutting properly but after 2 attempts realised that it was trying to tell me something. Retrieved the key from my backpack which I had thrown in the boot and it all worked fine again.
Pre-FL or FL?

I was told by the dealer that it will lock even with the key in the boot so going to try just to see (pre fl )

Just been out to car (2022 Exclusive). Car was locked and I had a key. Opened boot. Put key in boot. Shut boot. Boot then popped open. So you can’t lock the key in the boot in my car.
Also put a key on the drivers seat and tried to lock the car and it won’t lock unless you have a second key outside the car and use it.
So it looks like the design is configured to stop people accidentally locking them selves out with the key in the car.
Perhaps the car software has been changed over the years?

Just been out to car (2022 Exclusive). Car was locked and I had a key. Opened boot. Put key in boot. Shut boot. Boot then popped open. So you can’t lock the key in the boot in my car.
Also put a key on the drivers seat and tried to lock the car and it won’t lock unless you have a second key outside the car and use it.
So it looks like the design is configured to stop people accidentally locking them selves out with the key in the car.
Perhaps the car software has been changed over the years?
My Exclusive LR behaves the same with the key in the boot, didn't try on the drivers seat.

@reg10 if you have a LR varient perhaps it needs the dealer to update the software, they don't always bother doing it during sevicing.

Defo not a long range 214 miles not 280 miles from what I can see face lift models were 2021(71) onwards so I think if you have a long range or face lift models then you can’t lock the key in the boot

What MG have you got we have a HS PHEV when my wife locked the key in the boot it wouldn't open she had to get the spare key to open it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom