BS Guy Martin on Ch 4

FCat53

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
What a BS POS bit of broadcast lies. I am surprised that Moggy was involved in this travesty of a program. Choose the Ionity network and complain the price is twice a diesel cost. Decide to charge at a charger that hasn't worked iny years. State that EV's are only good for 50 miles, WTF are they in 2011? Shame on Moggy for this.

One reason I stopped watching broadcast TV 10 years ago.

Pandering to the lowest common denominator and predjudices rather than inform with genuine content.

A few years back a Radio Scotland program (out of doors) had the presenters going round the North Coast 500 in a Zoe. It was all 'trepidation' and range anxiety, with the car almost coasting in on zero battery at the end.
Except..
The longest run between chargers even then was less than 60 miles and the Zoe had a 130 mile range. If you don't know any better (and I didn't at the time) you believe what they say.

Last edited:
There were one or two interesting bits but on the whole it was very disappointing. Lots of scenes set up especially when GM stopped to charge the Ioniq at Penrith. He could not get the charger at Morrisons to work so went across the road to Booths and used an Instavolt instead.

The two supermarkets are on a roundabout almost opposite each other and I know which one I would have tried first.

What was the point of driving up to the far north of Scotland and back? I once delivered a lease car from Worksop to Aberdeen and it took, with stops, about 10 hours. I got the train back.

As he owns an EV I expected more from him in the way of positivity.

I quite enjoyed it (I've seen the Vintage Voltage shows and Moggy seems a smart guy) - but only up to the point where Guy did a 550 mile trip with either pretty poor planning and/or a fundamental lack of understanding of his car's range capabilities - or the whole thing was spun to make EV look a bad choice compared to diesel. £0.70 a kW hour - talk about showing most expensive option! Only way to make it more expensive would be to call out a generator truck like happened to Ewan McGregor in Long Way Up a few times.

Finished watching this - moral of the story? If you want to go stupid fast without building your own EV drag car? Go buy a £130k 1000bhp Tesla Model S Plaid.

I'm off to watch Long Way Up again - despite being a bit daft, it's more realistic than Guy Martin insisting only buy an EV if not venturing 50 miles from home.

Last edited:
Just watched it all - I usually like Guy and for most of this it was his normal stuff. The range test and 50 mile from home parts almost felt like it was tagged on for a purpose.
As for the 50 miles - he should probably have concluded "Yes, if you can buy one with enough range to easily cover 90% of your daily drives". It wouldn't have been a snappy line to end on though.

What a BS POS bit of broadcast lies. I am surprised that Moggy was involved in this travesty of a program. Choose the Ionity network and complain the price is twice a diesel cost. Decide to charge at a charger that hasn't worked iny years. State that EV's are only good for 50 miles, WTF are they in 2011? Shame on Moggy for this.
In Total agreement with you Dave not sure when this programme was made but done nothing to encourage the take up of EVs but then we the EV owners know better, of that I I’m sure.
Les

Last edited:
Guy is a petrol head so it would break with his ideology to convert to electric so quickly.

I'm sure he ragged the ioniq to get poor kwh/mile.

I guess if Boris Johnson's dad can speak about climate change, Guy Martin can speak about EVs. :sneaky:

I usually try to avoid watching the television at all costs, but saw this program was on and thought it may worth a watch. Mmmm The Ioniq item appears to have been no more than padding and a deliberate anti EV campaign. I wonder if Jeremy Clarkson was on the production team, it has all the hallmarks of the uneducated.

It was properly weak television and really uneven..

I thought the burning the battery scene was really problematic, once you've shown its actually really hard to set a modern batt on fire. Whats the point of testing to destruction? Sure a big fire ball looks impressive and can go on the trails as "exciting TV". But it's also going to be used out of context to claim EV's are death trap and potentially put people off.

Thought the drag race challenge was pretty weak. A bodged together Beatle was never going to break any records. I guess on the budget front it was a case of "well we already have this car"... It just seemed too arbitrary and uninteresting compared to Martins other "challenge" films - eg human powered flight was really interesting.

The final Clarkson bit about EV's not being ready and 50 mile range... apart from being bollocks is also dangerous disinformation. Martin via C4 has a huge profile - this sort of stuff scares people off from EV. I know its not C4's job to promote EV's - but we are also in a situation climate wise that ICE vehicles need to be replaced as soon as possible and its a public service to encourage people to do that.

It was properly weak television and really uneven..

I thought the burning the battery scene was really problematic, once you've shown its actually really hard to set a modern batt on fire. Whats the point of testing to destruction? Sure a big fire ball looks impressive and can go on the trails as "exciting TV". But it's also going to be used out of context to claim EV's are death trap and potentially put people off.

Thought the drag race challenge was pretty weak. A bodged together Beatle was never going to break any records. I guess on the budget front it was a case of "well we already have this car"... It just seemed too arbitrary and uninteresting compared to Martins other "challenge" films - eg human powered flight was really interesting.

The final Clarkson bit about EV's not being ready and 50 mile range... apart from being bollocks is also dangerous disinformation. Martin via C4 has a huge profile - this sort of stuff scares people off from EV. I know its not C4's job to promote EV's - but we are also in a situation climate wise that ICE vehicles need to be replaced as soon as possible and its a public service to encourage people to do that.
Hi phillycee I think your new on here but in my opinion with views and posts like this your very welcome I couldn’t agree more I just wish he Guy would just stick to what he knows best bikes
Les

Last edited:
Hi Les - thanks yes very new only had the ZS for 4 days so far.

I was pretty disappointed overall "Factual Entertainment" TV can be pretty iffy when presenting tech and science subjects, there is a temptation to keep it overly simple and surface. I've liked previous Guy Martin shows and really liked the Manx TT feature film.

I think in this case the challenge element of the drag race didn't sustain a full hour, it was too simple a challenge and they didn't do enough experimenting. So the burning the Battery and driving to Scotland sequences felt tacked on. They certainly could have been done better, e.g Top Gear were doing range challenges 12 years ago... what does it add to the mix to do it now? Basically the show was weakly produced and under researched.

It could have been really good if they went deep on the drag race section... e.g look at different cars, do more work on the aerodynamics etc...

Guy is a petrol head so it would break with his ideology to convert to electric so quickly.

I'm sure he ragged the ioniq to get poor kwh/mile.
The dash readout showed 2.1 miles/Kwh, I've never got mine that low no matter how bad I've driven.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom