Bulky keys

SteveRW

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
It often surprises me that car keys are so bulky. Be great if they were the size of a credit card. Pockets are bulging these days with phone, spectacle, wallet etc. The MG ZS key is a bulbous thing to cart about. Don’t know if there’s any car model out there that have slimline versions?

Guys, look away now...

I stick the key inside my bra. I don't notice it's there, it's safe and secure, and there's no chance of it getting lost. Also when I go out to the car maybe for something I've forgotten, I can always open it.

The problem I find is the key flipping open in my pocket :mad:
It happens very easily.

It flips open with a button press on the MG5 key. The MG4 is maybe not the same?

@Rolfe - if only I had done that…….(see my post on the ZS forum)

Oh dear. I'd have been in even bigger trouble because I don't think I'd have thought about the digital key, or actually known how to use it. One day when I was standing beside the car in a hotel car park wanting something from inside, and the key was several floors up and the app on my phone was refusing to connect, I trailed upstairs and got the key.

All of this is exactly why I hit on the bra solution.

Earlier this year, while I still had the Golf, I went to an opera performance in Glasgow, parking my car in a multi-storey car park. Got back to the car after the performance and couldn't find the key. Emptied my hadbag all over the bonnet, as one does, no key. Realised that the bag had been on the floor under my seat during the performance, and I hadn't zipped it properly. Although I had thought I'd dropped the key down to the bottom of the bag, obviously I hadn't.

Trailed all the way back to the theatre, which is part of the music college so fortunately was still open, got a long-suffering member of staff to open up, and actually he found the black key on the black carpet in the deep shadow under my seat.

I had to have the Golf's key in my hand to lock it - I had to press the wee buttons on the side of the key to do that. Also, the key had to be in the ignition for the car to start. So squirrelling the key away somewhere inaccessible wasn't an option. But it is with the MG4. I started by putting it in an interior zip compartment in my bag, but as you just discovered, that requires you to be carrying the right bag. So I started putting it in my bra. Also handy if I'm not carrying anything at all. I don't trust the pocket of my jeans not to vomit its contents in inconvenient places. I've lost a bank card that way, and dropped my phone.

I wasn't aware carrying things inside one's bra was such a common practice until I read the article @siteguru linked to. Other than this, I've mainly used it for things that either need to be warmed up in a hurry (frozen serum samples I wanted to test right now) or kept at blood heat.

@Rolfe - I have never used your particular storage idea, but this morning, having lots of itty bitty jobs to do, indoors, in the garage, and in the car (and having no pockets in anything I was wearing), I tried it. Amazing!! I thought it would be uncomfortable, but it wasn’t. I doubt I would do this all the time, but it certainly worked well for today.

Thank you 🙏

I don't do it all the time either, but it certainly works. An inner zip pocket in a garment you're not going to take off all day would work too.

Apparently little Victorian girls would shove small and/or light items up the elastic of their knickerbockers (which was just above the knee) to carry them around.

I don't do it all the time either, but it certainly works. An inner zip pocket in a garment you're not going to take off all day would work too.

Apparently little Victorian girls would shove small and/or light items up the elastic of their knickerbockers (which was just above the knee) to carry them around.
Finally, i've got a legit reason when the wifes catches me wearing her bra's again🍻

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom