Cancel culture at play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

livingstone

Banned
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I was disappointed to find that my thread that provoked a discussion about the ethical issues of owning a Chinese brand right now has been shut down. It was one little thread amongst sooo many. The title made it clear what it would be about so you could chose to read it and comment or not. The home screen for this site talks about a forum that includes 'general EV ownership'. I think a thread that generally questions ownership of an EV produced in a country on the brink of supplying lethal support to Putin fits the bill. However, the administrator obviously felt that it's mere presence on the site was unacceptable or might upset some people.

I find this approach hypocritical as there are numerous threads and posts that are very directly critical of 'the chinese' often in very emotive and scathing terms e.g.. That'll be the good old Chinese mentality of "it's not my problem, someone else will have to deal with it!". Just put 'chinese' into the search field and scroll down through the some of the nasty little comments.
I have not engaged in this, apparently acceptable, unpleasant stereotyping but I have raised genuine, fact- based concerns about the direction of the effectively state controlled (as all Chinese companies ultimately are) MG company.

Sorry if I have upset anyone. If I have, don't worry you will be OK. Shut your eyes and think about more important things like whether to cover your chrome MG badge with a black cover from Aliexpress. Or you could go out and wrench your MG4 wheel covers off and hunt for one of those pesky little scratches or set about dismantling the interior completely to put an upgraded sub-woofer in. Disagree with me but block any discussion.... really?

@livingstone

To me, the issue here is very much one of, is this the "correct/appropriate" forum to discuss what are, inevitably, controversial views?

I suspect at least 90% of posters here are already owners of MG EVs or HEVs. I think we are all aware of the political situation vis a vis China but simply not buying ANY chinese-manufactured goods is, I suggest, impossible (as others pointed out in your previous thread).

Whether you like it or not, for many of us, me included, who wanted to "do a little bit to aid the environment" and therefore wanted to own and drive an EV, MG were the only option with regards to cost! (I hope that statement is not viewed as being controversial!)

One other thought: you seem very dismissive of the views of those who do not agree with you. That is not going to make your views appear any more "acceptable" to others!

@Stuart Wright @Alb perhaps this thread should also be closed, as per the note Stuart posted to the first thread?

@livingstone

To me, the issue here is very much one of, is this the "correct/appropriate" forum to discuss what are, inevitably, controversial views?

I suspect at least 90% of posters here are already owners of MG EVs or HEVs. I think we are all aware of the political situation vis a vis China but simply not buying ANY chinese-manufactured goods is, I suggest, impossible (as others pointed out in your previous thread).

Whether you like it or not, for many of us, me included, who wanted to "do a little bit to aid the environment" and therefore wanted to own and drive an EV, MG were the only option with regards to cost! (I hope that statement is not viewed as being controversial!)

One other thought: you seem very dismissive of the views of those who do not agree with you. That is not going to make your views appear any more "acceptable" to others!

@Stuart Wright @Alb perhaps this thread should also be closed, as per the note Stuart posted to the first thread?
Exactly this bolded bit here... the condescending tone alone is/was reason enough to close the other thread, irrespective of the subject matter. Ultimately it's easy to jog on to other forums if you don't like the discussion topics available 🤷‍♂️

Exactly this bolded bit here... the condescending tone alone is/was reason enough to close the other thread, irrespective of the subject matter. Ultimately it's easy to jog on to other forums if you don't like the discussion topics available 🤷‍♂️
These threads are riddled with Xenophobic comments about 'the chinese' yet I'm condescending when I raise a genuine issue. The responses show some people are aware and thinking about it. Some deeply. But we mustn't spoil the party and actually talk about it openly. I asked a question about whether people were comfortable with the situation but it seems some users are not comfortable being asked the question even. It baffles me why those who are so offended couldn't have just ignored my thread?

Anyway that's my last ever post. Good luck and I hope our decisions today don't come and haunt us.

These threads are riddled with Xenophobic comments about 'the chinese' yet I'm condescending when I raise a genuine issue. The responses show some people are aware and thinking about it. Some deeply. But we mustn't spoil the party and actually talk about it openly. I asked a question about whether people were comfortable with the situation but it seems some users are not comfortable being asked the question even. It baffles me why those who are so offended couldn't have just ignored my thread?

Anyway that's my last ever post. Good luck and I hope our decisions today don't come and haunt us.
Again this forum is not for political views!

The site owner has already made his views clear so you don't get a second bite of the cherry.
As we live in a free country, there is of course nothing at all to prevent you from hosting your own forum in which you can debate any subject you choose.

People must make their own decisions whether or not to buy an MG EV, and once they are ok with it, then they come here to discuss it.
If people keep posting off topic, anti-Chinese messages, they will get banned like livingstone has.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom