Car Insurance

PaulR

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi
Has anyone else had any issues getting insurance quotes for the MG EVs, I pick up my MG 5 next week and thought I would go online and get some idea as to the cost. My current provider (Hastings) do not have it on their database and nor do the compare sites that I have tried. Have you generally found them more expensive or a similar cost. I am over 60 with full no claims and am currently insured for an Ateca 17 plate. I understand there will be a difference due to the new cars value but wondered if there is a premium to pay for EVs.
Thanks

Hi, I’ve found EV insurance generally quite cheap. Try LV - I’ve found them good for EV’s. Some databases are slow to be updated with the latest car data 🙂

You need, or they need, to look under MG UK not just MG and then the EVs turn up. Try it on compare or meerkat and you'll see what I mean.

Not every company will quote for EVs. I was with the CoOp for years, but when I tried to get a quote, no can do (had the same issue trying to get a quote for an Audi S8, they point blank refused).
Premiums for me worked out a few quid more, but the ZS is 4 times what my last car was worth.

Hi, I’ve found EV insurance generally quite cheap. Try LV - I’ve found them good for EV’s. Some databases are slow to be updated with the latest car data 🙂
Back at end Jan, LV told us they didn't have MG5 on their database so gave us a ridiculously high premium.
You often get better deals with companies you already have other types of insurance with.

Back at end Jan, LV told us they didn't have MG5 on their database so gave us a ridiculously high premium.
You often get better deals with companies you already have other types of insurance with.
I’m surprised as yet actively promote EV insurance.

I'm insured through admiral, i found the car online and got a cheap quote but when I called he had trouble finding the MG5, but in the end found it and was happy with the quote, cheaper than when I had my Hyundai i40.

I have a very good cover with LV, they were one of the cheapest but gave cover designed for an electric car such as taking you to a charger if you run out of power.

I have a very good cover with LV, they were one of the cheapest but gave cover designed for an electric car such as taking you to a charger if you run out of power.
I didnt realise that they did that, could be something I make use of in my first few days of EV ownership :)

You need, or they need, to look under MG UK not just MG and then the EVs turn up. Try it on compare or meerkat and you'll see what I mean.
Found it under MG UK on a comparison site and it is with my existing company but a few ££s cheaper, very pleased with that thank you

Some insurers list it as MG Motor UK (which is what appears on the V5) too. The dealer I bought mine from told me this, quite a few people seem to run into these insurance issues it seems.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom