• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Charge stopping between 65-75%?

Mr479

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, had this happen on two occasions on my 5, once on a rapid charger at 75% and at home on a 7khw at 67%, has anyone else experienced this?

Had to unplug and reconnect.

Booked into mg for Wednesday but they said they are inexperienced and could take a while to diagnose!

Hi, I recently got my MG5 EV, my first ever EV. I have also had issues with charging. I have only used home charging so can't comment on rapid charging. I did use a public pod point type 2 charger today but it was charging for less than an hour and when I returned to the car it was still charging.

Twice this week my home charger has only added 10-15% extra change when left to charge on a smart charge after returning from work. For example, last night my home charger started charging at 19:00 and only did a total for 8kWh. My batter percentage prior to charging was in the 30s % and then this morning in the 40s %.

Earlier this week I did a forced charge from my home charger of 10kWh and then let the smart charge take over, it added an additional 29kWh but the battery charge was at 82% in the morning

I am not sure what the issue is, whether it is my home charger or the car. I have a Rolec home charger that I charge using the ev.energy app. I set the smart charge to make my car ready for 04:00 so requesting it to be charged in good time. I am not able to enter my electricity tariff on the app as my previous energy supplier went into administration and I don't have my current tariff details yet, I am not sure if this could effect the charging? Surely not though as the smart charge setting should just aim for the car to be charged by the time I set?

My plan tonight is just to leave it to do a smart charge at home and see what the battery percentage is tomorrow. This is with the current battery percentage at around 50%. I have also sent an e-mail to ev.energy describing the issues I have been having to see if it is an issue with the app/charger

Hi all, had this happen on two occasions on my 5, once on a rapid charger at 75% and at home on a 7khw at 67%, has anyone else experienced this?

Had to unplug and reconnect.

Booked into mg for Wednesday but they said they are inexperienced and could take a while to diagnose!
Please post if they find an issue with the car as that could be what I am experiencing

Doing some browsing on this forum it seems like people have experienced charging issues with the ZS, and there are posts discussing this in relation to the Rolec chargers, e..energy app and certain software updates (EVCC, OBC - although these are in relation to the ZS so not sure if directly applicable to the 5). See the links below

Rolec charger problem and description of software updates that helped correct them

ev.energy app and issues with charging MG

At the moment I still plan on waiting to hear from ev.energy and seeing what happens overnight tonight

Could it be related to the very same BMS update which was causing issues with the ZS EV; this update was been withdrawn and a new BMS update is due to be released next week so we believe..this has caused all sorts of problems including reduced range.

I've not noticed any specific issue with my Zappi charger. I've not actually charged it to 100% yet as I like to keep some headroom for diverting surplus solar and to allow maximum regen as soon as I start driving.

The car is a bit slow to respond when the Zappi tells it to charge and I've noticed that the Zappi sometimes shows "Fault, restarting" before charging resumes so I strongly suspect that the car is not conforming 100% to the charging standards, but it does ultimately work.

On several occasions I've set a boost timer to add 10kWh then stop and this has worked correctly each time.

I've just got a basic podpoint charger, just plug in and let it charger up.

After Friday at work I had 6% remaining, I plugged in and Saturday morning I have 100% battery. Seems to have sorted it's self out. I will know for sure on Monday and Tuesday after doing the usual commute.

Ultimately I think it's the car and not the chargers so I suggest getting it booked in.

This morning my car was charged to 100% using just the smart charge function on ev.energy overnight. It seemed to do one continuous charge of ~28 kWh and then stopped for an hour and then did ~2kWh of charging. I'll probably see how things go over the next couple of weeks 🤷‍♂️

I think my issue is my Rolec charger. Since my last post it has been charging to 100%. However on Thursday night it just did another 10% only and when I clicked boost nothing happened. Then Friday evening I connected it with smart charing disabled and it just said that the car was connected but no charging was happening. In the meter box is a 'test' button and trip switch which I was told to press every so often. If I press that the rolec charger turns off and then if I reset the trip switch the rolec charger turned back on again. Then when I connected it back to the car it started charging. I turned smart charging back on and that work. Today the charge was back at 100%

I am in contact with ev.energy app and will updating them about this. I would prefer to not have to reset the charger once a week! Time will tell

The car can be slow to respond to the signal to start charging and I believe it may seem to the EVSE like the charge is complete when the doors are unlocked mid-charge. I had to tweak the compatibility settings on the Zappi to make it work properly. It might well be a combination of the car not quite behaving as expected and the EVSE not being patient enough.

I think my issue is my Rolec charger. Since my last post it has been charging to 100%. However on Thursday night it just did another 10% only and when I clicked boost nothing happened. Then Friday evening I connected it with smart charing disabled and it just said that the car was connected but no charging was happening. In the meter box is a 'test' button and trip switch which I was told to press every so often. If I press that the rolec charger turns off and then if I reset the trip switch the rolec charger turned back on again. Then when I connected it back to the car it started charging. I turned smart charging back on and that work. Today the charge was back at 100%

I am in contact with ev.energy app and will updating them about this. I would prefer to not have to reset the charger once a week! Time will tell
Sounds like the Rolec needs the occasional reboot because it is suffering from less than perfect software. This is the case with so many products these days because they are mini computers.

@Stuart Wright

You could be on to something there. Now that you mention it, I did have to reboot my Rolec using the consumer unit breaker a few days ago, as it got itself into a knot and simply refused to release the plug from the car, no matter what I did. It's not done that since the reboot, but I did have smart charging issues, which ev.energy fixed by turning on trickle charging as a workaround.

I have posted in another thread that ev.energy have actually contacted me today, to say that they think they've fixed the smart charging issues by deploying some new code. They've asked me if I'd like trickle charging turned off and I've agreed. So, we'll see what happens.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom