ChargePlace Scotland - Glasgow

biffo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
It’s been rumoured for a while - but pricing appears to be happening

1641151287234.png

Inverclyde has started charging too, 20p/kWh if memory serves. Still free here though, and hope it will continue to be!

Free charging will have to come to an end one day. As long as it's within the ball park of home energy rates, I don't think we've got much to quibble about to be honest. Get it while you can though! :D

Inverclyde has started charging too, 20p/kWh if memory serves. Still free here though, and hope it will continue to be!

Free charging will have to come to an end one day. As long as it's within the ball park of home energy rates, I don't think we've got much to quibble about to be honest. Get it while you can though! :D
Still free in South Lanarkshire but I’ve started to charge at home rather than nearby 50kW and dozens of 22kW - too much hassle waiting for the 50kW and too rainy to walk to and from the 22kW after a few hours.

I've still to try a 50kW charger on mine, what with the rfid card shenanigans I went through.

There's one been put in less than a mile from me, along with a couple of 7kW, buy the rapid one still needs to be plumbed in by scottish power.

I don't mind a 10-15 minute walk for a free charge. 😁

I've still to try a 50kW charger on mine, what with the rfid card shenanigans I went through.

There's one been put in less than a mile from me, along with a couple of 7kW, buy the rapid one still needs to be plumbed in by scottish power.

I don't mind a 10-15 minute walk for a free charge. 😁
I’m 1/3 mile from 18x 22kW and 2x 50kW sockets (2/3 mile to another 4x PodPoint at Tesco). Only the 2x 50kW and 6x 22kW have a £1 parking fee - others all in carpark areas with no charge. And yet I still spend £6.50 at home 🤷‍♂️

Admittedly, I have used the AC units through the day when I can be bothered dropping car off and collecting later. And the DC units when daughter at various after school clubs.

Borders have free chargers and I used them extensively before going on to Octopus GO.

Can't help but think that the existence of free charging will limit other providers putting their own payable chargers in place.

Borders have free chargers and I used them extensively before going on to Octopus GO.

Can't help but think that the existence of free charging will limit other providers putting their own payable chargers in place.
Yep, and there is the lack of maintenance too as no revenue.

Just now, 50kW is the norm with no incentive to install 100/150kW+ units. Glasgow has just got an IONITY installation and there are the odd BP Pulse 150 kicking about but (with the future being dynamic balanced units anyway) I think we need 100kW to be the minimum.

Speak to your local councillor about it - very good arguments can be constructed for installing and funding charging points, which will vary by area and locality. Tourism, reduced private car usage, drawing people to town centres etc. <cough>For example</cough>

Council's can apply for grants for the installation (and possibly electricity costs - I'll need to check) of charge points, although it's not a massive amount of money in the grand scheme of things.

With a bit of intelligent thinking (not always the case, I know!) the right chargers can be put in the right places for the right tarriffs. Eg slow chargers at public transport hubs for people commuting etc and rapid chargers in town centres to give people a worthwhile top-up while they shop / meet friends / get a haircut etc.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom