Cheep Dashcams - worth it?

deviousrich

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
a bit of a crowdsource opinion please... im looking at getting a dashcam, never had one before,
whilst im sure the NextBase brands are all lovely, but they are also well into the hundreds which got me thinking....

is it worth getting a cheep Chinese no brand ones from AliExpress etc for £25, or is it really worth the investment on a better quality camera (pay cheep pay twice)?

anyone got first hand experience either way?

I got my first one just after getting the MG5 in Dec 21. It was from Amazon and was an Iiwey at something around £40. I surprised myself by doing a reasonably good job of fitting it (along with it's back view camera), properly wired in and hidden cables.

I've got three incidents recorded and saved - not really sure why - one was me reversing very slowly into a telegraph pole, one was two cars having a modest kiss directly in front of me and the last was an idiot driver cutting me up and brake testing me for no apparent reason - I cunningly joined the front and back films to show that I'd done nothing to antagonise him. So no real use made of the camera but I suppose you never know.

It is good enough for that kind of thing, maybe the night vision or other clarity wold be better on a more expensive one, but this does what I want.

a bit of a crowdsource opinion please... im looking at getting a dashcam, never had one before,
whilst im sure the NextBase brands are all lovely, but they are also well into the hundreds which got me thinking....

is it worth getting a cheep Chinese no brand ones from AliExpress etc for £25, or is it really worth the investment on a better quality camera (pay cheep pay twice)?

anyone got first hand experience either way?
I don't think you need to go to Ali Express, plenty of cheap ones on Amazon and Ebay with much quicker delivery times.

After using and dismissing cheap cameras as toys I now use Viofo, excellent units, 4K resolution and night time also good. 60 frames per second allows easy reading of number plates from still frames.
They are not cheap but most reveiwers agree one for the best.
Further infomation here plus a 5% discount.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom