Choosing a home charger!

Although I don't have solar. But yeah my figures don't seem worth it. Is it just a convenience?
I'm having the same quandary, I got on fine with the granny during the summer (I have solar still on the FIT scheme), Even now on a bright day like today we produce anything from.5 to 1.5 kW for a few hours from the panels so I just plug in accept that I'll pay 27p for the difference to 2.2kW. £1k represents about 5000 miles from our nearest rapid charger. So in the winter a 7kW charger would be convenient but in the summer I'm not so sure.

I’m looking for a home charger and wondered which charger people would recommend please? What are your thoughts on the Hive? Thanks
Hi Gabrielle

There is a lot of advice on which Charger and Installer for you to choose... API Electrical Ltd have all the chargers reviewed... here

For me I would also advise..

Tethered or Untethered... If it is tethered it can never be untethered and you will need another lead to take with you on 'trips'

Location...
(a) can you get it in the garage - it is great to be 'sheltered' when plugging / unplugging

(b) If it has a screen make sure the installer doesn't fit the unit at 'knee' height tell them the screen needs to be at eye level

DNO.. If you need a main fuse upgrade (60, 80 to 100 Amp) start this process as soon as possible, I was still waiting for them weeks after the charger as installed.

For the record although I don't have solar I'm using an untethered Zappi in the garage.

Sincerely
Martin

Hi @AndyNWuk and @johnb80

I was down to choosing between the OHME Home Pro and the Zappi as they both have screens and on unit setting (without using any app). The OHME is a 'sealed' unit and I noticed in their small print that the sim card was free for 3 years. I contacted them to see what would happen after the 3 years, they said they were 'hoping' to keep if free. I went for the Zappi. You are right it is not the cheapest but I don't regret it.

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin

Nobody else has mentioned Hypervolt, so I will! I've had one since Dec 2021 (Hypervolt 2.0) and never had a problem with it. I needed a long cable and, at the time, it was the only one offering a 10m tethered cable. It works really well with my solar and has an excellent phone app. Hypervolt claim to have the best customer service and I have found them to be fast and really helpful with even the most inane queries! It's important to use one of their listed installers to get the best from the charger.

I have a question. So far i have been happily granny charging when needed 4 hours a night with octopus. With it getting colder/wetter, I was thinking of moving to a dedicated charger.
So from the electrics/safety point of view, it would be preferable.
But my figures on money saving don't seem so good, unless I'm missing something. With octopus, I think I would get an extra 2 hours a night at 7.5p. Currently I don't need those 2 hours but if I did, it would still be a long time until all those 2x 7.5p add up to the £1k install.
Someone tell me I'm wrong and to book an install ASAP please. Been chucking this round my brain far too long!
Sometimes you don't just do something for financial payback. A tethered charger on a wall will reward you in more ways than financially. I say tethered as it's so much easier then messing about with cables in the rain and cold, and it wouldn't surprise me if you already had a type 2 cable for travelling anyway.

Last edited:
I was wondering if it was worth getting a Zappi. I have 4kW panels on the 21p FIT rate, in the summer I used the granny to charge the car with excess going to the grid. Now my excess is 0-1.5kW so I plug in for a few hours and accept I'll pay 7-27p per kWh. How does it work out with a Zappi?
Hello Gary I made a video if you want to understand my Zappi + my solar panels the link is bellow

Hi @AndyNWuk and @johnb80

I was down to choosing between the OHME Home Pro and the Zappi as they both have screens and on unit setting (without using any app). The OHME is a 'sealed' unit and I noticed in their small print that the sim card was free for 3 years. I contacted them to see what would happen after the 3 years, they said they were 'hoping' to keep if free. I went for the Zappi. You are right it is not the cheapest but I don't regret it.

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin
That's great Martin, the Zappi was my favourite choice, but for me I cannot have solar panels so opted for the OHME Home Pro instead which has now arrived, so will be looking to install shortly.

Andy (Blackpool)

Thanks, that makes sense. I have more of an idea about the Zappi now.
The 1.4 kW minimum charge rate can be adjusted in the ZAPPI but it's usually a minimum limit set in the car and charging specification. With some tariffs eg Octopus Intelligent if you dont need to charge your car during the daytime it makes more sense to export energy to the grid at 15p per kWh and then buy it back off peak at 7.5p per kWh. All of this easily achieved with ZAPPI.

The 1.4 kW minimum charge rate can be adjusted in the ZAPPI but it's usually a minimum limit set in the car and charging specification. With some tariffs eg Octopus Intelligent if you dont need to charge your car during the daytime it makes more sense to export energy to the grid at 15p per kWh and then buy it back off peak at 7.5p per kWh. All of this easily achieved with ZAPPI.
I'm on FiT so the numbers are a bit different for me, a battery would be a better way of soaking up the excess solar.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom