• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Cockram MG Christchurch - MG Dealer Discussion, Opinions & Experiences

A colleague and I were interested in these vehicles and attended the local dealership in order to view and find out more.

We explained to the first person we met that we had some technical questions, and in prompt time a salesperson arrived.

Amongst other things we asked:

Q: What is the battery warranty?
A: 8 years, supplementary question elicited "if it fails it will be replaced"

Q: What constitutes 'failure', is there a range level at which it's considered failed?
A: I don't know (note, no offer to find out)

Q: Does it use a heatpump or radiation heater? (Thinking about efficiency)
A: I don't know (no offer to find out)

Q: Can we get one without sunroof?
A: No (We remain uncertain if this was because MG doesn't make one, or just didn't have them here in NZ.

Q: What voltage does the motor operate at?
A: Don't know.

Q: Where are the batteries located, under the back seat?
A: Yes (later found out they're actually under the floorpan).

The salesperson was able to answer questions about colour and supply, and did at one point find a brochure, but on the whole we left unsatisfied without answers to questions that were important to us.

The above is a brief report on the 15min experience we had at this dealer. It is no reflection on the car (which we've not driven) and is presented in the hope it's taken constructively and some training/information is made available to this dealership.

In the meantime is anyone able to answer as to whether these are available without a sunroof? Thanks.

Was called yesterday to say that I've got mine allocated, not sure on delivery details as of yet.

This doesn't involve an MG but it does involve Cockrams in Christchurch. Six years ago we bought sight unseen a very low mileage Suzuki Kizashi from Cockrams. We flew down and picked it up on a really filthy night then drove it back through similar weather to Whakatane. Next day when we got to have a proper look at it we found that three wheels were shedding their paint, this being the one problem area on what is elsewhere a particularly fine car. We emailed Cockrams advising them of the problem and without quibbling they said either bring it back to them and they will sort it, or get it sorted locally and they will pay. We chose the latter, got all four wheels done to ensure uniformity, then submitted the receipt to Cockrams with a request to reimburse us for three only. They promptly reimbursed us the cost of getting all four wheels done and threw in a couple of hundred bucks extra. Based on this, and on my knowledge of Cockrams reputation from when I grew up in Christchurch during the 50s and 60s I would have no hesitation in buying other vehicles from them. Phaedrus, it it is any consolation to you, lack of product knowledge is pretty common in most of the dealerships that I've bought cars from.

A colleague and I were interested in these vehicles and attended the local dealership in order to view and find out more.

We explained to the first person we met that we had some technical questions, and in prompt time a salesperson arrived.

Amongst other things we asked:

Q: What is the battery warranty?
A: 8 years, supplementary question elicited "if it fails it will be replaced"

Q: What constitutes 'failure', is there a range level at which it's considered failed?
A: I don't know (note, no offer to find out)

Q: Does it use a heatpump or radiation heater? (Thinking about efficiency)
A: I don't know (no offer to find out)

Q: Can we get one without sunroof?
A: No (We remain uncertain if this was because MG doesn't make one, or just didn't have them here in NZ.

Q: What voltage does the motor operate at?
A: Don't know.

Q: Where are the batteries located, under the back seat?
A: Yes (later found out they're actually under the floorpan).

The salesperson was able to answer questions about colour and supply, and did at one point find a brochure, but on the whole we left unsatisfied without answers to questions that were important to us.

The above is a brief report on the 15min experience we had at this dealer. It is no reflection on the car (which we've not driven) and is presented in the hope it's taken constructively and some training/information is made available to this dealership.

In the meantime is anyone able to answer as to whether these are available without a sunroof? Thanks.
The Excite model in Gen 2 form is here in NZ and doesn't have a sunroof!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom