DBedford

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I joined this forum a few weeks ago and am becoming more concerned by the day! I’ve not done the sums on reported issues over satisfied customers, but to me the failure rate seems to be high with the MG brand.

Is it now the time to cancel my order and switch to a European brand EV?

I joined this forum a few weeks ago and am becoming more concerned by the day! I’ve not done the sums on reported issues over satisfied customers, but to me the failure rate seems to be high with the MG brand.

Is it now the time to cancel my order and switch to a European brand EV?
You will always get mainly negative comments on a forum as people post for help etc.
If your car is running fine why would you search on a forum?
I have had a couple of small issues but mainly post advice for new members to point them to the search bar.
If you read everything about the early ZS BMS issues it would put some people off same as the MG4 issues.
Try putting a poll on here asking for the positives of MG EV ownership.

I felt the same as you before I took delivery but I'm glad I stuck with it. Most of the problems are from the first batch of cars and the ones remaining are software related which will be corrected.
If you do decide to cancel do your research, Join their forums as no car is perfect, sit in them and see if the seat is comfortable and the ergonomics are OK for you.

Someone did have a poll up for the MG4 when I first joined the forum, and as far as I recall there was a decent majority for "love the car" and some "I'll live with it", with seriously disgruntled people being in the (fairly small) minority.

I joined before I got the actual car, but after I'd put in the order. I understand the "cold feet" feeling, because there's a lot here about serious issues, but these seem only to have affected the early, 2022, MG4s and aren't being encountered by people with newer cars. Since I only had five days between order and delivery I didn't have much time to back out, and simply stiffened my backbone, looked at the poll saying most people loved their cars, and thought about the price!

I have a car that does not have a sagging undertray, does not leak oil, and has never yet locked me in. It also flies up to over 90 mph without me quite realising how fast I'm going, at any state of charge I'm likely to be out and about with. The power/speed limitations some people have reported are not affecting me.

I posted a list of about half a dozen gripes in another thread, and these things do bug me, but they're actually minor issues, most of which have an easy work-round. I'm not getting bent out of shape over the radio coming on every time I start the car, or having to subtract five from the displayed temperature to get an idea of the actual temperature, or indeed having to switch the LKA off every time I start the car. It would be nice if we had a software update to fix these things (the LKA needs a physical one-press off switch), but until and unless MG actually do this, I'm not going to let any of it upset me.

I can't say anything about dealer service, because I simply haven't had to contact my dealer. There's nothing actually wrong with my car at all. I phoned them they day after I collected it to ask how to get the charging cable to unplug ("unlock your car," said in world-weary tones) and that has been that. I will tell them about the bug list and ask them to pass it on to MG to add to the weight of pressure that might get something done about it, but really, happy camper here.

The problem is that your level of satisfaction with your car has little or no connection with someone else's level of satisfaction with their car. Over a decade ago, I researched internet forums and the like prior to buying a brand new car. Eventually I settled on a Skoda Yeti, a car which had glowing reports all round - the Top Gear road test had Clarkson talking about it as "one of the best cars in this range that I've ever driven". Admittedly nowhere near the top of the list of stupid things Clarkson has said, but you get the idea...

It turned out to be a total nightmare; not so much a "Friday afternoon" car as a "New Year's Day morning with a near-terminal hangover" car. The only good thing about it was that the eventual resale value was excellent. But that's only because by this time almost every single component had had to be replaced and I was trading in a virtually brand new vehicle. But I accept that loads of other folk had a great experience with their (theoretically identical) Skoda Yetis.

What the specific car that you end up with is like is what really matters. And ultimately there's a significant part of that that you can't influence. Sorry.

A bit like Amazon reviews…. Sometimes when you get the product you wonder how on earth some purchasers can post comments like they have.

The problem is that your level of satisfaction with your car has little or no connection with someone else's level of satisfaction with their car. Over a decade ago, I researched internet forums and the like prior to buying a brand new car. Eventually I settled on a Skoda Yeti, a car which had glowing reports all round - the Top Gear road test had Clarkson talking about it as "one of the best cars in this range that I've ever driven". Admittedly nowhere near the top of the list of stupid things Clarkson has said, but you get the idea...

It turned out to be a total nightmare; not so much a "Friday afternoon" car as a "New Year's Day morning with a near-terminal hangover" car. The only good thing about it was that the eventual resale value was excellent. But that's only because by this time almost every single component had had to be replaced and I was trading in a virtually brand new vehicle. But I accept that loads of other folk had a great experience with their (theoretically identical) Skoda Yetis.

What the specific car that you end up with is like is what really matters. And ultimately there's a significant part of that that you can't influence. Sorry.

Oh, that is so true. I said to Bowfer a couple of weeks ago that I believed if he'd got my car, he'd still be driving it. But he didn't, he got a lemon, and the rest is history.

My main point really was about the probability of getting a car you're happy with. If you read the forum you might get the impression that practically everyone has had an oil leak, has been locked inside their car, has an undertray that drags on the road, and regularly has the power to their engine cut back when they're in the middle of overtaking a lorry with a blind bend coming up.

This is no longer true, if it ever was. Most - pretty much all - people getting their cars now are not getting locked in, experiencing oil leaks, seeing undertray bulges or having their power/speed cut. These issues, which are serious, seem pretty much all fixed. So if that's the cause of the cold feet, maybe don't worry about it. The chances of getting a rogue car right now seem to be very low.

The software glitches I was moaning about are constant in all cars, or at least in all SEs. Someone buying a car now will experience these. The question is, is the rest of the package attractive enough to make one prepared to accept these with a wry shrug of the shoulders? For me, yes. Everyone's mileage will vary though. I just think it's good to let prospective buyers know that happy campers exist, if you're prepared not to get bent out of shape by the small stuff.

By far the most important thing you can do with any new car is find a dealer near you with good customer service. This is far more important than which dealer you buy it from, because you only buy it once.

There are good and bad MG dealers there are good and bad cars, same as any manufacturer.

What really matters is not whether you get any faults but how quickly and how well they are addressed.

It does seem as if MG struggles with service quality compared to the competition, but I can't comment from personal experience as my MG4 has been fault free so far.

I have had mine for over a year now and very happy with it, are there things that bug me - yep but there were with previous manufacturers including Toyota/Mazda/Audi. I live with it (speed limiter setting) or do something about it as I did with rear passenger lights.

A bit like Amazon reviews…. Sometimes when you get the product you wonder how on earth some purchasers can post comments like they have.

Amazon delivery driver had a funny coloured shirt 1*
Loved it, great product 2*
Was late 1*
The sun wasn't out when I opened the product 1*

Totally off topic but going with Amazon reviews, have you seen the reviews for "Veet for men"?
It's worth a look. :)

Amazon delivery driver had a funny coloured shirt 1*
Loved it, great product 2*
Was late 1*
The sun wasn't out when I opened the product 1*
The one which always makes me smile is usually in answers to questions rather than reviews.

"I haven't used it yet so I can't say".

Why did they bother?

The one which always makes me smile is usually in answers to questions rather than reviews.

"I haven't used it yet so I can't say".

Why did they bother?
Yes - I think when Amazon sends emails to purchasers asking if they can help with an answer, some people just feel that they must respond.

Totally off topic but going with Amazon reviews, have you seen the reviews for "Veet for men"?
It's worth a look. :)

I still haven't stopped laughing!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom