Cost to run my ICE car. 🤪

salty

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Out of curiosity i checked the last month's fuel costs. Now granted I've got a V6 diesel E class coupe, so not the most economical motor. So between 19th Feb and the 19th Jan, so 31 days I filled up 3 times, costing £270 eek! And that's not loads of miles either, probably 150 miles a week ish. Pretty sure I wouldn't have spent that on Leccy in an EV. Would I?

If you got, say, 2.5 miles/kWh in an EV (which is normal to low for winter efficiency) then 150 miles would use 60 kWh. At the most expensive 85p per kWh that would be £51. So over 31 days that would be about £258, so somewhat similar to the Merc. Any charging costs lower than 85p then everything gets even better. :)

Out of curiosity i checked the last month's fuel costs. Now granted I've got a V6 diesel E class coupe, so not the most economical motor. So between 19th Feb and the 19th Jan, so 31 days I filled up 3 times, costing £270 eek! And that's not loads of miles either, probably 150 miles a week ish. Pretty sure I wouldn't have spent that on Leccy in an EV. Would I?

Well let's put it this way, you have paid more in money but not in time.

Let's say you took 5 minutes per fill up.
15 minutes.

Over the same period I charged my car 11 times.
Circa 40 minutes as an average.
I swan off for a coffee, then go for a walk while I'm waiting.
I'm usually under 10% and charge to 97%

That's just over 7.3 hours by my quick calculations.

7.3!!!!

It's cost me less in money, £175 (39ppkw)

But a hell of a lot more time.
Good job I'm retired!
If you can charge from home that cost will be significantly less.

My situation is a bit unusual as I have been using the car to charge my household battery bank at night. (Off grid)

So that will become less time and less cost as the warmer months kick in.

Swings and roundabouts m8 🤣

And I wouldn't have it any other way 👍

Well let's put it this way, you have paid more in money but not in time.

Let's say you took 5 minutes per fill up.
15 minutes.

Over the same period I charged my car 11 times.
Circa 40 minutes as an average.
I swan off for a coffee, then go for a walk while I'm waiting.
I'm usually under 10% and charge to 97%

That's just over 7.3 hours by my quick calculations.

7.3!!!!
I'm not sure how many hours I've taken to charge mine . . . I was asleep. :)

Get yourself an EV and save yourself £250 a month ;)

Last edited:
If you got, say, 2.5 miles/kWh in an EV (which is normal to low for winter efficiency) then 150 miles would use 60 kWh. At the most expensive 85p per kWh that would be £51. So over 31 days that would be about £258, so somewhat similar to the Merc. Any charging costs lower than 85p then everything gets even better. :)
I counter your worst-case scenario with a best-case one ... ;)

If you got 4miles/kWh in an EV (which I am getting right now in 'winter') then 150 miles a week would use 37.5kWh. At a cheap rate of 9p per kWh (available on Octopus Go) that would be £3.37 a week x 4.3 weeks (30 days) = £14.51 a month ... 😲

And if you're charging overnight then you're not wasting any time filling up* (or getting stinking diesel on your hands and shoes in the filthy forecourt).

* apart from the 30 seconds it takes to plug in ;)

Last edited:
Bit disappointed with that. 🙁🙄 Although I do appreciate that's the worst case scenario. 🙂
I counter your worst-case scenario with a best-case one ... ;)

If you got 4miles/kWh in an EV (which I am getting right now in 'winter') then 150 miles a week would use 37.5kWh. At a cheap rate of 9p per kWh (available on Octopus Go) that would be £3.37 a week x 4.3 weeks (30 days) = £14.51 a month ... 😲

And if you're charging overnight then you're not wasting any time filling up* (or getting stinking diesel on your hands and shoes in the filthy forecourt).

* apart from the 30 seconds it takes to plug in ;)
That's much better. 🙂 £14.51 a month, that's amazing! Although I do appreciate that's probably the best case scenario. 👍
In reality I will probably only ever charge at home. Even if the electric cost was £100 a month, I would be well happy with that, still a big saving on the ICE costs. 😀

Bit disappointed with that. 🙁🙄 Although I do appreciate that's the worst case scenario. 🙂

That's much better. 🙂 £14.51 a month, that's amazing! Although I do appreciate that's probably the best case scenario. 👍
In reality I will probably only ever charge at home. Even if the electric cost was £100 a month, I would be well happy with that, still a big saving on the ICE costs. 😀
Yep, "best-case" and not always achievable but if you drive carefully* - with minimal aircon/heating - it's quite easy to get 4miles/kWh average over the year (more in summer, less in winter). Charging at home with a cheap overnight tariff etc** is also key.

* by carefully I mean not full beans all of the time, and never over the national speed limit ;)
** or fancy solar/export/battery setup which gives you free energy, or pays for exported energy to grid.

Of course all of the above requires considerable outlay in the first place ... though you can get decent second-hand EVs for around the £15k mark these days ... it would pay for itself in 6 years ... food for thought ;)

Last edited:
Yep, "best-case" and not always achievable but if you drive carefully* - with minimal aircon/heating - it's quite easy to get 4miles/kWh average over the year (more in summer, less in winter). Charging at home with a cheap overnight tariff etc** is also key.

* by carefully I mean not full beans all of the time, and never over the national speed limit ;)
** or fancy solar/export/battery setup which gives you free energy, or pays for exported energy to grid.

Of course all of the above requires considerable outlay in the first place ... though you can get decent second-hand EVs for around the £15k mark these days ... it would pay for itself in 6 years ... food for thought ;)
Agree, with what your saying. Been thinking about changing me car for a while now, so the considerable outlay as you say, doesn't bother me, as such. As it would be the same for an ICE car. As for not giving it the beans everywhere and sticking to national speed limits, I can't promise that! Especially as it would be the X Power! And I would pretty much only be charging at home, using the Granny charger over night at first and then perhaps getting a home charger at a later date. 🙂

Even if you hoon it around and only get 2.5-3miles/kWh it would still only cost you £5 to do 150 miles if you were on Octopus Go overnight ... :)

30,000 miles - 2 years.. £24 in personally purchased sparks (free charging off works solar). Vs the yellow thing that at last check was 38p/mile. One still makes me smile more than the other though

Get yourself an EV and save yourself £250 a month ;)
How much is that EV to buy if it wasnt a Chinese saviour low cost EV? All European brands start in the mid 30s. Vauxhall Astra EV 40k?

When my mom bought her E Niro for £36,000 on 2020 I bought a gas guzzling v6 petrol for 17k and ran it for 1 and a half years. All costs combined including insurance and fuel/tax didn't exceed 22k. EVs outside of Chinese brands when adding all costs of maintenance and purchase are still more expensive.

I knew a guy who picked up a £500 1 litre car and ran it for a full 12 months. The overall costs weren't over 2k for the 12 months. Sure his street credibility was damaged but cost less overall than any new car or EV.

How much is that EV to buy if it wasn't a Chinese saviour low cost EV? All European brands start in the mid 30s. Vauxhall Astra EV 40k?

When my mom bought her E Niro for £36,000 in 2020 I bought a gas guzzling v6 petrol for 17k and ran it for 1 and a half years. All costs combined including insurance and fuel/tax didnt exceed 22k. EVs outside of Chinese brands when adding all costs of maintenance and purchase are still more expensive.
Agreed to a certain extent. If you where thinking a an EV of say, £30,000 ish just to save on running costs, the sums might not add up, because of the price of the car in first place. But if your thinking of changing your car anyway, not to save money as such, but just it's time for a change, budget £30,000 ish for ICE or EV.
An EV would certainly be well worth considering on running costs alone. 🙂

How much is that EV to buy if it wasnt a Chinese saviour low cost EV? All European brands start in the mid 30s. Vauxhall Astra EV 40k?

When my mom bought her E Niro for £36,000 on 2020 I bought a gas guzzling v6 petrol for 17k and ran it for 1 and a half years. All costs combined including insurance and fuel/tax didn't exceed 22k. EVs outside of Chinese brands when adding all costs of maintenance and purchase are still more expensive.

I knew a guy who picked up a £500 1 litre car and ran it for a full 12 months. The overall costs weren't over 2k for the 12 months. Sure his street credibility was damaged but cost less overall than any new car or EV.
Sure, but if you compare apples to apples ... e.g. I did the sums on a Tweet comparing a new ICE Corsa v EV Corsa, total cost of ownership over 10 years and the EV was cheaper. Sorry I no longer have the sums, gave up on Twitter a long time ago.

Of course it's not just about cost for a lot of us on here ... ;)

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom