Courtesy car when yours needs work?

MG4London

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
If you buy a brand new MG and it has faults straight away should the dealer provide a courtesy car?

We need a car for essential life and it’s no good saying drop the car in and leave it with us we will get to it when we can, I need a car for work school ect.

Can you insist on a courtesy car?

If you buy a brand new MG and it has faults straight away should the dealer provide a courtesy car?

We need a car for essential life and it’s no good saying drop the car in and leave it with us we will get to it when we can, I need a car for work school ect.

Can you insist on a courtesy car?
I got a car the other day, I had to wait over a month as I wanted an EV, but the previous user didn't bring it back so I ended up with an ICE and had to put fuel in it.
They didn't do all the work and so it goes back in on 16th June, as that's when an EV is available, hopefully it will be there this time.

Call to ask, slots may be more limited if they do, ask about a charge and don’t expect an EV in return.

My ZS has been in multiple times over the last 2½ years, and the official line I've received every time is that MG will not authorise a hire car until the dealer has diagnosed the fault AND it has to wait for parts. (And sometimes they even cock that up). If you get a hire car outside of those circumstances, it will be because the dealer is organising it. Some may, some may not, and some absolutely won't.

If they use an external hire company, chances of an EV are bordering on zero.

Is it normal to be asked to £30 for insurance charge for a courtesy car even when it’s there fault that your car needs to be seen to?

Depends on whether it's a refundable deposit. It was Enterprise who supplied my last hire car, and they required a deposit they'd refund as long as the car came back in the same state it went out in. Any other insurance upgrades were optional, from what I can remember.

Is it normal to be asked to £30 for insurance charge for a courtesy car even when it’s there fault that your car needs to be seen to?

In my experience, yes, but it was only a tenner for me about 4 years ago. at a Vx dealer.

According to my local dealer (car in now for a total of more than 3 months) MG will only provide a courtesy car if yours is waiting on parts. The dealer would supply but you'll be lucky to get one as they have "an awful lot" of MG recoveries (and possibly though they didn't say, they have too few staff to do the work).

Depends on the dealer and their insurance policy, I had a small charge from one Dealer and nothing from another.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom