Danger when filling screen washer reservoir

Deep purple

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just filled the screen wash reservoir for the first time using a container with a proper spout but as happens occasionally I split a small amount which disappeared under the motor bay cover. Thought I had better see where it had gone and was surprised that immediately beneath the filler cap is the main ac connection into the inverter (I assume that is what the box is). Washer fluid was evident on the plug locking tabs. I hope that this connector includes an O ring seal to prevent ingress.
In future I will use a funnel as well as the spout but as belt and braces I have inserted some makeshift protection which will direct any spillage away from the electrics, using a cut up yoghurt pot. Not elegant but free and should do the job.

Attachments

• IMG_4865.jpeg
    IMG_4865.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4870.jpeg
    IMG_4870.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_4872.jpeg
    IMG_4872.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 159
I have filled mine up split some and have had no I'll affects as 5teep said they have to be rated or not allowed to use 👍

Well ok what 5teep has posted is good, but I still think, it is still a poor Design in that area which it didn’t need to be, with a bit more thought the screen wash bottle could have been kept well away from any electrics surely protection is fine, but prevention is better.
Les

I'm sure there was good reason for the well-paid car technical design team to do what they did, and would expect that safety is fairly high on their list of priorities.

How many of these cars are buzzing around China and elsewhere? I imagine if there had been a problem we'd have seen a recall.

I wouldn't worry about a bit of washer fluid, the whole engine bay will get misted up from road spray when you drive in heavy rain at speed.

Well ok what 5teep has posted is good, but I still think, it is still a poor Design in that area which it didn’t need to be, with a bit more thought the screen wash bottle could have been kept well away from any electrics surely protection is fine, but prevention is better.
Les
I agree, when I first saw that arrangement I was as concerned as you. My solution was to get a funnel that sits on top of the pipe and so far it's worked ok.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom