Dashboard reflections in windscreen

Deep purple

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I haven't been able to find a thread on this subject except in the MGZS forum.
Driving down country lanes with trees shading the road edge and in bright sunshine the reflections off the dashboard top in the windscreen makes seeing bicyclists/pedestrians on the side of the road quite challenging at times. It is far worse in the MG than other cars I have owned.
In the ZS forum there is discussion on this topic and a link to a dash mat which reduces reflections. I followed the link and searched for MG5 RHD similar products. Found one but when I compared the pictures of the dash with my car there were some significant differences in the central display screen position and the binnacle behind the steering wheel, so didn't risk buying one.
Has anyone found one yet? If all else fails it will be a DIY job which is feasible but not nearly as good as a manufactured product. If someone has already made one themselves do they have a pattern?

It's a high rake windscreen, pretty much equal to the one on my Citroen C4 Picasso which suffers pretty bad too. In truth my last Skoda Fabia wasn't much better, its a problem that manufacturers don't seem to be bothered about, only too keen to use shiny black plastic dash materials. And don't get me started on all black interiors!
My solution is a pair of cheap photochromatic, polarised glasses, you have to accept the reduced viewing angles on the LCD displays but it's not too bad and I can live with it. Far better to see that cyclist ahead!
Now if anyone has a solution to the shiny infotainment display I would be very interested :)

I put an A4 sheet of black sticky backed velvet on the top of mine to help cut down the glare. It works really well but it's not pretty.
Also did some of the glossy black plastic on the media centre bezel for the same reasons.

I purchased this for that same reason, stops the glare. Didn’t think it’d come in useful in uk but the sun does shine here at time 😎

£9.31 53% Off | For MG ZS EZS 2017 2018 2019 Right and Left Hand Drive Car Dashboard Covers Mat Shade Cushion Pad Carpets Accessories

Thanks for that link, is the ZS dashboard very similar to the MG5 LR? I can't find an MG5 version that shows a picture that looks like my dashboard so reluctant to order one.

Thanks for that link, is the ZS dashboard very similar to the MG5 LR? I can't find an MG5 version that shows a picture that looks like my dashboard so reluctant to order one.
Dashboard is different.

I got this from AliExpress it fits perfect and you get no reflection plus the dash stays cool in the sun

Attachments

• 084B54F3-F213-4B76-BD89-02D9C1818BDF.png
    084B54F3-F213-4B76-BD89-02D9C1818BDF.png
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 129
I've noticed the same issue for a while. It's worse when driving in country roads when the sun comes through the trees.

Billywhizz can you let me have the URL for what you ordered. I have found it on AliExpress but it says it isn't available to buy at the minute. Thanks.

Whilst checking that out I came across this which has taken my eye for some reason. Little carpets for all the nooks and crannies.

Whilst checking that out I came across this which has taken my eye for some reason. Little carpets for all the nooks and crannies.

Hi
I bought these a couple of months ago they are like a rubber/silicone material and fairly thick
The one that is supposed to go in the little slot near the two cup holders in the centre console doesn’t fit it’s for a left hand drive car (but the rest fit spot on) and they come with Roewe in white and Ei5 in red
Photos below
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
C6B966F2-C7EA-4EF1-A71B-0B497114C22E.jpeg
1442127C-AE1B-4DE3-9E6C-42002414C99E.jpeg

It's a high rake windscreen, pretty much equal to the one on my Citroen C4 Picasso which suffers pretty bad too. In truth my last Skoda Fabia wasn't much better, its a problem that manufacturers don't seem to be bothered about, only too keen to use shiny black plastic dash materials. And don't get me started on all black interiors!
My solution is a pair of cheap photochromatic, polarised glasses, you have to accept the reduced viewing angles on the LCD displays but it's not too bad and I can live with it. Far better to see that cyclist ahead!
Now if anyone has a solution to the shiny infotainment display I would be very interested :)
Buy matte tablet screen protector of the right size. Simples.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom