Diesel Running Costs v EV

Deep purple

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have an diesel estate car and on a long trip with 4 up at 70 I usually get over 70 mpg (winter or summer) which works out at a fuel cost of about 12p. Clearly servicing is more costly. The car's range is about 700 miles. If I have to use a charger at 50p per KWhr then my MG5 would cost between 11 and 14p per mile dependent on speed and ambient temperature/heating/ac etc. For shorter, slower average speed trips charging at home the situation swings heavily towards the MG5 being significantly cheaper.
With the likely increases in electricity prices coming up shortly and noting that diesel prices are slowly dropping, it makes the choice of which car to use for which trips very interesting (if all one cares about is money and not the environment).

Last edited by a moderator:
Better mpg than my previous diesel an Avensis, that would only ever get 50mpg on a long motorway run.

Yeh me to Gomev best I ever saw on my Skoda Superb was around 62 mpg but at around 65 mph on a long run.

Deep purple doesn’t say what diesel car it was that gave him 70 mpg not that I’m to worried lm not going back to an ICE car ever I don’t think .
Les

Paying for public rapid chargers is similar to an ice doing 55-60 mpg.

Home charging is much cheaper.

Clearly the cost balance between public charging and fossil fuels is wrong

Skoda Greenline. I love my MG5 but when it comes to needing a lot of space and towing a big trailer long distances EVs are at a big disadvantage unfortunately. So horses for courses. Only bought diesel once in 5 months!

Similar with me. The Range Rover (24mpg), is used for holiday trips when we are pulling the caravan. That’s pretty much the only time it is used now.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom