Do you agree with these charger operator rankings?

My favourite charger is a 7.4 kW Podpoint at a local nature reserve, 3 hours wandering around enjoying nature, 20kWh added for £5, bargain.
Alright for some, my local 7kW Podpoints are 62p/kWh (!) - presumably looking to tap into the famously lavish Yorkshire spending habits. Funnily enough they're very rarely in use.

Thankfully I have a drive and am able to charge at home without bankrupting myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve just plugged in to a Podpoint at Tesco South Queensferry. I’ve ordered a bite to eat and a coffee then get some supplies.
Until recently our local Sainsbury's had 4x free Podpoints, cost me way more than if id charged at home, by the time I'd 'got a few bits', grabbed a coffee in the cafe or worst of all decided to have an all day breakfast, to make the most of my 'free' charge!

Until recently our local Sainsbury's had 4x free Podpoints, cost me way more than if id charged at home, by the time I'd 'got a few bits', grabbed a coffee in the cafe or worst of all decided to have an all day breakfast, to make the most of my 'free' charge!
Used to be free here too but that was in the olden days 🥴

Alright for some, my local 7kW Podpoints are 62p/kwh (!) - presumably looking to tap into the famously lavish Yorkshire spending habits. Funnily enough they're very rarely in use.

Thankfully I have a drive and am able to charge at home without bankrupting myself.
Yes 25p is an outlier, other podpoints around here are Curry's 40p/3kW, Tescos 44,49,62p for 7/22/50 kW. Like you I very rarely use public charging, I have enough range to cover my longest day trip, even in winter.

Yaaaasssss......

1708368149918.png

1708368112150.png

1708368499922.png

What do these cartographers know though 🤩
Just try going for a sail on the Forth, to Inch Garvie Island, under the bridges etc - the “Maid of the Forth” boat sails from South Queensferry, it says so in their adverts. 😂😂

This isn't new, but I was looking at the last set of Zapmap charger provider rankings from November 2023 and wondering if these rankings reflects your experiences?

For my part, I have yet to find a FastNed charger near me but I can say that both MFG and Osprey (whom I have used a lot) just work and are very simple to use. (But not the cheapest, clearly).

What are your experiences?
My ranking would be very different, but based on availability/frequency used, whether they work, and customer service. I've never even heard of Fastned let alone had a chance to use one. Last would be Geniepoint based on the fact that every single time I have tried to use them over the last 2 years they have been out of order or seemed to be working and then failed to start

1. MFG - I now actively look for these as there are more and more of them, they work and customer support has been good

2. Shell - again more of them but they are not reliable. There are 2 Shell charging sites near me - one never appeared on Zap map, was flaky when it opened a year ago and is now completely dead. The other was one charger so always in use, even at 1am - and was taken out and now 12 months later it seems Shell are building multiple chargers

3. Gridserve - work, more of them, but not enough as I often have to queue

4. Ionity - used to be higher for me but failure rate has worsened and cost has always been high

My first experience with Fastned was pretty poor, the charger didn’t have any identification on it so Electroverse was the only option. Not great when I was trying to setup plug & charge which requires their app and to know which charger I’m at.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom