Driving EV in snow

What three words, Phone Battery Dead and Forgot USB Lead.:devilish:
I typed in your W3W coordinates and there doesn’t seem to be a ten foot square on the entire planet. But the three nearest approximations are shown on the screenshot:- they don’t seem to believe in dead batteries 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_0170.png
    IMG_0170.png
    237.9 KB · Views: 41
loL as this is a thread about being prepared... Add a power bank and lead to your winter driving kit.
£20 quid buys you these beauties from amazon... warm your hands or recharge the mobile...

Milduall Hand Warmers Rechargeable, 2 in 1 Magnetic Electronic Pocket Heater Power Bank Portable, 2-Pack 5000mAh, 3 Heating Levels, Gadget for Outdoors, Camping, Hiking​

Last edited:
Experience here in the Highlands is that the MG5 seems to cope OK with the snow. What it really hates is the cold. Allow me to explain...

Yesterday's run from Inverness to near Dundonnell and back for a day in The Great Outdoors proved that (it's about 100 miles in total). The highest temperature at any point yesterday was a brief but balmy -3°C. Passing Loch Glascarnoch it registered -11°C. So, with freezing fog for about half of each journey and darkness on the return run, it meant that I ran combinations of the heater, heated seats, blower, lights, heated rear window, etc. But not wipers...

The traction battery was very unhappy. The highest summertime GOM mileage estimate I've seen in over two years has been 280 miles. Yesterday at 100% charge it was just 172. Only managed 2.6 miles/kWh out and 3.2 miles/kWh on the way back. After 100 miles I was home with 29% charge.

Worse, even with undiluted winter screen wash (OK to -8°C, they claim), the washers froze solid - to put this in perspective, it was so cold that while hiking out there our backpack water bladders froze up too. In an ICE car, the reservoir and tubing is inside the engine compartment and usually warms up after a while, so eventually the problem resolves. In an EV, as the same waste heat isn't generated under the bonnet, this doesn't happen, so you're stuck with it. Literally, as the wipers were frozen to the screen too. The windows got filthy really quickly, making visibility a major problem. And any spray hitting the screen from oncoming traffic simply froze solid instantly.

Altogether an educational experience. There were no problems with either roadholding or traction, but significant hassles with both range reduction and visibility. Hopefully the latter can be solved with some ultra low temperature screen wash, but I can't see a way round the former. Unless, of course, either battery technology advances a few degrees (sorry) or the laws of physics do.

I've filled my screenwash reservoir with the VW stuff that's rated to -70C, but I've not driven in temperatures much below zero as yet so I don't know if my lack of problems means anything or not.

Experience here in the Highlands is that the MG5 seems to cope OK with the snow. What it really hates is the cold. Allow me to explain...

Yesterday's run from Inverness to near Dundonnell and back for a day in The Great Outdoors proved that (it's about 100 miles in total). The highest temperature at any point yesterday was a brief but balmy -3°C. Passing Loch Glascarnoch it registered -11°C. So, with freezing fog for about half of each journey and darkness on the return run, it meant that I ran combinations of the heater, heated seats, blower, lights, heated rear window, etc. But not wipers...

The traction battery was very unhappy. The highest summertime GOM mileage estimate I've seen in over two years has been 280 miles. Yesterday at 100% charge it was just 172. Only managed 2.6 miles/kWh out and 3.2 miles/kWh on the way back. After 100 miles I was home with 29% charge.

Worse, even with undiluted winter screen wash (OK to -8°C, they claim), the washers froze solid - to put this in perspective, it was so cold that while hiking out there our backpack water bladders froze up too. In an ICE car, the reservoir and tubing is inside the engine compartment and usually warms up after a while, so eventually the problem resolves. In an EV, as the same waste heat isn't generated under the bonnet, this doesn't happen, so you're stuck with it. Literally, as the wipers were frozen to the screen too. The windows got filthy really quickly, making visibility a major problem. And any spray hitting the screen from oncoming traffic simply froze solid instantly.

Altogether an educational experience. There were no problems with either roadholding or traction, but significant hassles with both range reduction and visibility. Hopefully the latter can be solved with some ultra low temperature screen wash, but I can't see a way round the former. Unless, of course, either battery technology advances a few degrees (sorry) or the laws of physics do.
Several of my old ICE cars washers froze at the nozzles as they weren't being warmed by the engine. Many a time had a squeezy bottle, arm out the window squirting the screen as I drove. (whilst at a standstill of course)

Several of my old ICE cars washers froze at the nozzles as they weren't being warmed by the engine. Many a time had a squeezy bottle, arm out the window squirting the screen as I drove. (whilst at a standstill of course)
Hah
My first car, Aunty Peggie’s cast-off Morris Minor (I seem to recall it was the Dove Grey 998 laXpower version), had the freeze - arm out splash screen set up too but the wiper drive failed as we left the Earls Court area of London.
So one window down for splash duty and both. Quarter light windows open for see-sawing string access to operate said wipers.
The resultant frozen fingers lasted better than the poor car sadly.

Hah

My first car, Aunty Peggie’s cast-off Morris Minor (I seem to recall it was the Dove Grey 998 laXpower version), had the freeze - arm out splash screen set up too but the wiper drive failed as we left the Earls Court area of London.
So one window down for splash duty and both. Quarter light windows open for see-sawing string access to operate said wipers.
The resultant frozen fingers lasted better than the poor car sadly.
Historical note for all you young whipper-snappers
I couldn’t squirt the water onto the screen in my foregoing ramble simply because plastic bottles and cardboard tetrapack cartons had yet to be invented and I needed to get back to Edinburgh urgently as I had double maths and english at Leith Academy school next morning and couldn’t be going up in front of the rector Bulldog Drummond again - I was a prefect after all 🤩

Historical note for all you young whipper-snappers
I couldn’t squirt the water onto the screen in my foregoing ramble simply because plastic bottles and cardboard tetrapack cartons had yet to be invented and I needed to get back to Edinburgh urgently as I had double maths and english at Leith Academy school next morning and couldn’t be going up in front of the rector Bulldog Drummond again - I was a prefect after all 🤩
Surely you had Fairy Liquid (other brands available !!!) squeezy bottles, they were around before I was way back in the early 50s.
They were our staple water pistols in the summer, long long long before super soakers were even dreamt about. 😁

I remember driving across to Ayr through Cumnock one very sunny winter morning with a basin containing an old towel soaked in screenwash. Every so often I had to stop and clean off the windscreen with it. I was driving right into the sun.

As I recall, a neighbour had kindly offered to wash my car - it was my Peugeot - and casually said "I've topped up your screen wash too." I don't know what he put in it but I suspect water.

At least the Peugeot's screenwash did thaw a bit from time to time. My Golf's never did. It stayed frozen literally until the weather warmed up. Apparently the reservoir was in the front bumper! Whose genius idea was that? That's when I started using the -70°C rated stuff, and given that there's no engine heat in an EV it seemed like a good idea to carry on with it.

Surely you had Fairy Liquid (other brands available !!!) squeezy bottles, they were around before I was way back in the early 50s.
They were our staple water pistols in the summer, long long long before super soakers were even dreamt about. 😁
Ah yes but that lasted AGES and my Mum took for ever to empty it 🤣🤣. Now please stop interrupting and spoiling a perfectly good stupid story.

Don't try this. On the long M5/M6 trip from Devon to Manchester on a cold, wet, salt laden road in February a long while back. On board a ZRX1100 at night, visor covered in road cack, having to stop at every other services for a warm up and clean up. In between when visibility got so bad it was necessary to tailgate HGVs in the slow lane to get enough spray on the visor so my glove could wipe off the dried on muck, for a short while. In hindsight a wet rag stuffed behind the fairing would have been better. Better still a nice warm car!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom