• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Driving in ECO mode

Ted the dog

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Couple of quick questions
1. I tend to drive mostly in ECO mode as it’s around towns - in the long term, is this going to cause any damage or issues later?

2. I read in the manual that you should not change driving mode whilst moving as this can distract the driver… assuming it doesn’t distract me, is it ok to change modes whilst moving?

3. The car always starts in normal mode. Is there any way to change this so it starts in ECO mode?

Thanks

1. I tend to drive mostly in ECO mode as it’s around towns - in the long term, is this going to cause any damage or issues later?

2. I read in the manual that you should not change driving mode whilst moving as this can distract the driver… assuming it doesn’t distract me, is it ok to change modes whilst moving?

3. The car always starts in normal mode. Is there any way to change this so it starts in ECO mode?

Thanks
I'm going to say, "highly unlikely, yes and no".

Thanks
1. No damage or issues will occur, I nearly always use eco mode.
2. You can change mode when driving, I change to sport mode in preparation for overtaking, then back to eco. This is no more distracting than changing down a gear in a non-electric car.
3. The car always starts in normal.

I do a fair amount of mileage, I like eco on the motorways as the ride seems smoother than other modes, acceleration is smoother too albeit slower (obviously). Switching between modes is fine, as long as you’re not looking down at the switch whilst on the move 🙈😂

Which Kers mode would you recommend for the city and the highway?
For me As a 'general' rule I would say KERS depends on the road and traffic.
I quite often flip between 1 and 3 depending on circumstance, 3 for general start/stop and 1 for longer stretches, gentle downhill sections where I can just let the car coast and regen without coming to a standstill.
Use every possibility to regen when you can, for example when I leave my house there is a gentle downhill where after getting to 40, the speed limit, I can regen in 1 for a good quarter of a mile in 1 whilst maintaining speed and a few hundred yards further on a tight 90 degree bend and have flipped into 3 to to slow down for the corner.....etc etc etc.
Plenty of exercise for the finger flicking the button back and forth, :LOL:

For me As a 'general' rule I would say KERS depends on the road and traffic.
I quite often flip between 1 and 3 depending on circumstance, 3 for general start/stop and 1 for longer stretches, gentle downhill sections where I can just let the car coast and regen without coming to a standstill.
Use every possibility to regen when you can, for example when I leave my house there is a gentle downhill where after getting to 40, the speed limit, I can regen in 1 for a good quarter of a mile in 1 whilst maintaining speed and a few hundred yards further on a tight 90 degree bend and have flipped into 3 to to slow down for the corner.....etc etc etc.
Plenty of exercise for the finger flicking the button back and forth, :LOL:
I didn't

Thanks
I had the same 3 questions as Ted, but over the past three weeks I have come up with the same responses to your questions Ted. I always drive in E mode, HVAC off when I don't need it, and KERS in 3, I seem to gain 20% more range. I put the window deflectors on, as I like to drive with the window cracked open, or just open... (old biker). That is probably why I don't need the AC on very much.
Why though, does the recirculation come on when you switch off the HVAC - seems strange to me, and more likely to steam up. Bit daft, or am I missing something?

I didn't realise the regen in 1 made much difference Gomev. Thankyou for the tip.

I didn't

I had the same 3 questions as Ted, but over the past three weeks I have come up with the same responses to your questions Ted. I always drive in E mode, HVAC off when I don't need it, and KERS in 3, I seem to gain 20% more range. I put the window deflectors on, as I like to drive with the window cracked open, or just open... (old biker). That is probably why I don't need the AC on very much.
Why though, does the recirculation come on when you switch off the HVAC - seems strange to me, and more likely to steam up. Bit daft, or am I missing something?

I didn't realise the regen in 1 made much difference Gomev. Thankyou for the tip.
I've not really noticed any difference between Normal and Eco mode for economy. When I first got the car, my first EV, I too drove almost exclusively in Eco and regen 3. After a while you develop an EV sense and I have since driven in Normal with varying regen settings.
If you look at the power being regen'd (3 clicks down from the speed display will show as negative amps on the right) it is often the same as plugging into a 7kw charger, so well worth having in the right circumstances.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom