Driving in Europe

Thanks, I was hoping to find something that chose cheaper station automatically, filtered by speed or connector etc.

The problem with that is that different cars, apps, cards etc charge different amounts making this very complex. Just turning up at a charger in France with 4 RFID cards, other apps, VISA or the owners app, with or without an account or membership plan is enough!

Avoiding motorways avoids tolls & finds cheaper chargers often at supermarkets also using less energy, but at a considerable cost in time & charger reliability. France does have some good national routes you can follow too or go south via Belgium & Luxembourg which have no tolls.

Route planning does have an avoid tolls option and Google is bringing in EV planning too.

Checking on Google, Home to Portugal is 20.5 hours on motorways or 25 hours avoiding tolls of £160. Not a huge change on that route.
Agreed, it's a fairly simple choice between time and cost, pretty much the same as in an ICE. Pick one then plan accordingly.

Might I suggest, that it isn't that simple, I've not done the maths, but if you are driving 700 miles, and on motorway that is 4 charges. But on Non-Motorway, it is 3 charges. Not only are you saving the expense of the charge, you are also saving the time. Just a theory.

Might I suggest, that it isn't that simple, I've not done the maths, but if you are driving 700 miles, and on motorway that is 4 charges. But on Non-Motorway, it is 3 charges. Not only are you saving the expense of the charge, you are also saving the time. Just a theory.
You've just proved the point, Motorway faster but more charges and tolls. Time vs cost.

Yes but the driving time you save, has to be offset against the extra charging time.
Does the 1 extra charge match exactly the extra time taken, by not using motorways ? You seem to be trying to argue very very minor details against the grander picture. Going by motorway will be more expensive, lower economy, more charges to pay for, tolls. Is that questionable ?
I am sure you will eventually work it out to your own satisfaction, you don't appear to need any other inputs.
:)

Does the 1 extra charge match exactly the extra time taken, by not using motorways ? You seem to be trying to argue very very minor details against the grander picture. Going by motorway will be more expensive, lower economy, more charges to pay for, tolls. Is that questionable ?
I am sure you will eventually work it out to your own satisfaction, you don't appear to need any other inputs.
:)
Do anyone know if there is a Europe wide equivalent of Recharge Rescue I'm unlikely to use such a service in the UK, however on a 2000km European gaunt, it might be worth the extra cover. Not only does it involve more planning, but also I'm more likely to get caught out by a unknown network, or membership issue etc.

Do anyone know if there is a Europe wide equivalent of Recharge Rescue I'm unlikely to use such a service in the UK, however on a 2000km European gaunt, it might be worth the extra cover. Not only does it involve more planning, but also I'm more likely to get caught out by a unknown network, or membership issue etc.
I certainly wouldn't use anything like that in the UK, what a con. Most breakdown services, including the one that comes free with MGs covers this anyway, and some insurance policies too.
If taking out European breakdown cover for a jaunt, just check to see if this is covered too.

When using our old Diesel, we used to take out RAC European breakdown, which is not the cheapest, but the twice we've used it, have been pretty spot on, (even if the garage they took our van too, essentially wrote it off, but that's another story) That said when I questioned them on EV battery recharging, they told me about their UK vans, great, but what your european cover? I still haven't got a straight answer. :-(

When using our old Diesel, we used to take out RAC European breakdown, which is not the cheapest, but the twice we've used it, have been pretty spot on, (even if the garage they took our van too, essentially wrote it off, but that's another story) That said when I questioned them on EV battery recharging, they told me about their UK vans, great, but what your european cover? I still haven't got a straight answer. :-(
I'm sure that they would take you to the nearest charger, same as here if they don't have capable van.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom