Dumb Rolec

I have had mine since about the same time. There was an issue with a wrongly rated relay installed in the unit that caused it to fail in the first year. This was replaced and I have had no issues since.

I have ensured I now have plenty of spares for it. I even have two complete spare units in case we move. If we were to move home I would leave the existing one for the new owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - Nice !.
I do like a good “Back Up” plan !.
A huge weak spot in them is the quality of the RCBO breaker cut out switch.,
The quality of the Rolec branded ones are terrible.
They have tried to improve them, but they still fail after about 13 - 15 months.
I have had two fail in my unit while in warranty.
I have now installed a unit made by a company called GARO.
The quality if far superior !.
A very worth while mod in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any info on a replacement component for spares is always appreciated. I have a rather good electrician who replaced mine so I am not sure what he used, but I could take a look :)

Do GARO offer a complete replacement unit ?

Any info on a replacement component for spares is always appreciated. I have a rather good electrician who replaced mine so I am not sure what he used, but I could take a look :)

Do GARO offer a complete replacement unit ?
GARO is the manufacture of a good quality RCBO main trip / cut out switch.
They do not supply the com’s device or the main contactor.
These are both Rolec items.
If you lift up the little clear plastic window on the front of your wall box, you will see the front of the main cut out breaker.
The main connections are only visible when the front cover is removed.
The breaker carries a LOT of load when the car is on charge, this is the failure point.
You are looking only looking at the front of your main RCBO trip switch.
It will have a test button, that when pressed, will trip the switch to check it is functioning correctly.
Alongside the test button is the trip switch itself.
This will break contact when manually turned off, or when the test button is used.
One sign that the breaker is failing, is when you push the trip, and nothing happens !.
This is not always the case, but sometimes this can be a sign of a problem.
I will try and include a photo of the Garo RCBO that I installed about two years ago.
I did a check of its condition about 2 months ago and it looks fine.
The previous Rolec units burnt out the main incoming 6mm feed cable also !.
And NO the terminals where not loose, the unit failed internally and burnt the cable conductors, the negative terminal was badly affected.
The contact quality inside of the breaker is of poor quality.
It’s a known issue and some EV installers will not fit Rolec units now, due to the call backs they receive to repair them.

3FA88FB0-7320-45E7-B7D1-22B808D9D090.png

GARO is the manufacture of a good quality RCBO main trip / cut out switch.
They do not supply the com’s device or the main contactor.
These are both Rolec items.
If you lift up the little clear plastic window on the front of your wall box, you will see the front of the main cut out breaker.
The main connections are only visible when the front cover is removed.
The breaker carries a LOT of load when the car is on charge, this is the failure point.
You are looking only looking at the front of your main RCBO trip switch.
It will have a test button, that when pressed, will trip the switch to check it is functioning correctly.
Alongside the test button is the trip switch itself.
This will break contact when manually turned off, or when the test button is used.
One sign that the breaker is failing, is when you push the trip, and nothing happens !.
This is not always the case, but sometimes this can be a sign of a problem.
I will try and include a photo of the Garo RCBO that I installed about two years ago.
I did a check of its condition about 2 months ago and it looks fine.
The previous Rolec units burnt out the main incoming 6mm feed cable also !.
And NO the terminals where not loose, the unit failed internally and burnt the cable conductors, the negative terminal was badly affected.
The contact quality inside of the breaker is of poor quality.
It’s a known issue and some EV installers will not fit Rolec units now, due to the call backs they receive to repair them.

View attachment 9022
I will get a couple on order. Thanks :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom