E scooter in Aberystwyth

kin

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Guys/Gals
My daughter is currently studying at Aberystwyth uni, but it’s like 35-40mins walk from where she lives! BTW nearest bus is also a long walk, so that’s out of the question.
I’m considering getting her an E scooter, so hopefully it’s a little easier and saves her time.
I know there are many factors needs to take into account but does anyone know if she’ll be highly likely to be stopped by the Welsh police for using it on public roads?

From the UK government website:

The rules for private e-scooters have not changed. It is against the law to use a privately owned e-scooter. If you use an e-scooter illegally:
  • you could face a fine
  • you could get penalty points on your licence
  • the e-scooter could be impounded
However, this company will pay any fine or replace a confiscated scooter.

Guys/Gals
My daughter is currently studying at Aberystwyth uni, but it’s like 35-40mins walk from where she lives! BTW nearest bus is also a long walk, so that’s out of the question.
I’m considering getting her an E scooter, so hopefully it’s a little easier and saves her time.
I know there are many factors needs to take into account but does anyone know if she’ll be highly likely to be stopped by the Welsh police for using it on public roads?
Why not get her an electric bike and keep her legal? If stopped on a scooter then it will be confiscated. An ebike will do the same job and probably cheaper as a cheap escooter is not worth having.

Why not get her an electric bike and keep her legal? If stopped on a scooter then it will be confiscated. An ebike will do the same job and probably cheaper as a cheap escooter is not worth having.
This ^^

And an e-bike is probably safer, for visibility, stability and handling.

Apparently it’s completely legal if the e scooter is a rental!
Rental schemes are strictly controlled for speed, acceleration, charging, etc. Scooters bought on ebay et al, can be hacked to change their speed and can have chargers which don't meet UK safety standards.

Rental schemes are strictly controlled for speed, acceleration, charging, etc. Scooters bought on ebay et al, can be hacked to change their speed and can have chargers which don't meet UK safety standards.
There is a escooter rental scheme operating in Bristol. You can tell which ones they are as painted bright orange. Lots of private scooters being used, and local Police have said they will not be enforcing law unless they spot someone acting dangerously on them due to lack of resources.

ebike safer as long as it is purpose built. Like the private scooters, you can buy conversion kits to make a normal bike an electric one. However, you can buy parts that would make it illegal in terms of speed, charging just like the private scooters. There have been fires as a result of people using incompatible parts bought separately. There was a fire in a block of flats in Bristol recently that was caused by a modified ebike that was on charge.

Stick to a standard e bike, and never leave it charging unattended.

There are lot of e scooters in Weston super Mare, and the majority are ridden sensibly in the bicycle lanes and I have no problem with them. What I do have a problem with is the minority ridden by complete idiots who have no concept of the Highway Code nor road safety.

Last year, I approached a T junction to turn right into our road, and two young girls cut across the double dashed lines into the junction. Had I been a few seconds earlier, they would have been going to hospital and more importantly, they would have damaged the front of my car.

There are lot of e scooters in Weston super Mare, and the majority are ridden sensibly in the bicycle lanes and I have no problem with them. What I do have a problem with is the minority ridden by complete idiots who have no concept of the Highway Code nor road safety.

Last year, I approached a T junction to turn right into our road, and two young girls cut across the double dashed lines into the junction. Had I been a few seconds earlier, they would have been going to hospital and more importantly, they would have damaged the front of my car.
There are lots of people riding in Manchester including those who does deliveries, think in general the police turning a blind eye.
But I was just concern that the Welsh police could be a little more zealous as they operate on zero tolerance policy( for drivers anyway)

From the UK government website:

The rules for private e-scooters have not changed. It is against the law to use a privately owned e-scooter. If you use an e-scooter illegally:
  • you could face a fine
  • you could get penalty points on your licence
  • the e-scooter could be impounded
However, this company will pay any fine or replace a confiscated scooter.

I was actually looking at the Pure Flex which is very similar to the one in your video.

Yes I have already thought about it, but her flat has a very narrow hallway, it’ll be a struggle for anyone who tries to squeeze pass, if she leaves her bike in the hallway

There are lots of people riding in Manchester including those who does deliveries, think in general the police turning a blind eye.
But I was just concern that the Welsh police could be a little more zealous as they operate on zero tolerance policy( for drivers anyway)

I was actually looking at the Pure Flex which is very similar to the one in your video.

Yes I have already thought about it, but her flat has a very narrow hallway, it’ll be a struggle for anyone who tries to squeeze pass, if she leaves her bike in the hallway
There are some decent folding ones. Watch some of the Electroheads You Tube shows. They review stacks of them. They review e-scooters and EVs also. They also sell them (bikes and scooters).

There are some decent folding ones. Watch some of the Electroheads You Tube shows. They review stacks of them. They review e-scooters and EVs also. They also sell them (bikes and scooters).
Don't folding bikes become wider which might not help if it needs to be stored in a hallway as @kin mentioned in his post#11, although he is also looking at a folding scooter which I guess may be more portable and would go in her room.
🤷‍♂️

Why not just get her a manual one? Much cheaper and she will also save money because she won't need to go to the gym, and she will have great legs. Might winge a bit, but as a student she will do that anyways. It will cement your status as a no nonsense mum.

Don't folding bikes become wider which might not help if it needs to be stored in a hallway as @kin mentioned in his post#11, although he is also looking at a folding scooter which I guess may be more portable and would go in her room.
🤷‍♂️
I was looking at the folding scooter so she could take it to the lectures.

So would I, but who knows maybe her room is on the top floor of a tall Victorian house ? :D
She’s in one of those 3 storey terrace HMO with narrow hallway and narrow staircases and in a tiny room. Oh well, it’s all part of the experience of living on her own 🙂

An e-scooter? With those tiny wheels on our pot-holed roads? They're relatively unstable at the best of times!

Even bicycles (e- or not) can be pretty dodgy when mixed with cars and lorries, but would be far preferable.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom