Eden Newton Abbot - MG Dealer Discussion, Opinions & Experiences

Just collected our car.

Fantastic sales experience from end to end. Yes it took 4-5 months to get the car but that was not the dealer's fault. No pressure on the sale, no attempt to sell us things we don't need, friendly open and honest about the strengths and weaknesses of MG. Very polite and considerate, we had weekly updates throughout.

In the end the deal improved: our trade-in value increased £900 and the MGFV went up, so our PCP payments were £20/m less than we were originally quoted. Would have been easy for the dealer to not pass on the improvements but they did and it accurately reflected the change in value in our car on the used market.

Dealer was more than happy to delay an extra 2-3 weeks so we could have the latest March registration number.

Car was prepared immaculately and they offered unlimited time to help us get set up and configured even though it was late on a Friday, they helped set up the app and made sure we had everything we needed to be ready to drive away. Again, no attempt to up-sell us on things we didn't need, which we really appreciated.

If you are in the area and in the market for an MG, I recommend you contact Shane Holland or Alex Redding.

Just collected our car.

Fantastic sales experience from end to end. Yes it took 4-5 months to get the car but that was not the dealer's fault. No pressure on the sale, no attempt to sell us things we don't need, friendly open and honest about the strengths and weaknesses of MG. Very polite and considerate, we had weekly updates throughout.

In the end the deal improved: our trade-in value increased £900 and the MGFV went up, so our PCP payments were £20/m less than we were originally quoted. Would have been easy for the dealer to not pass on the improvements but they did and it accurately reflected the change in value in our car on the used market.

Dealer was more than happy to delay an extra 2-3 weeks so we could have the latest March registration number.

Car was prepared immaculately and they offered unlimited time to help us get set up and configured even though it was late on a Friday, they helped set up the app and made sure we had everything we needed to be ready to drive away. Again, no attempt to up-sell us on things we didn't need, which we really appreciated.

If you are in the area and in the market for an MG, I recommend you contact Shane Holland or Alex Redding.
I couldn’t agree more - we bought our MG4 from them last year and the service and approach was and has subsequently been exemplary. Great people to deal with.

The car had its first service a couple of weeks ago and again fantastic service from all concerned, they even took us out for a quick spin (very quick) in the Xpower. The bill for the service of £85 all in, is a bit different to the last service bill of nearly £500 for my previous diesel hybrid.

Well done Eden, Newton Abbot, keep up the good work.

😱 AVOID THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT 😱

at Newton Abbot Eden MG at all costs. After chasing them constantly for weeks on end - no phone calls back, no email reply’s and no updates on my MG whatsoever.

Last edited:
This thread is for discussing Eden Newton Abbot. Please ask questions here and share only your genuine opinions & experiences.

View on the dealer map
Hi all.
I have a ZS ev which is approaching 1 year old. I have experienced software problems from the first week of ownership. I have complained numerous times, had 5 diagnostic checks, each time I was told no faults could be found. On the last occasion the technician carried out the checks I had a discussion with him and I thought some of his replies to my questions showed some lack of electrical knowledge. (I had over 40 years in the electrical industry). I then employed a consultant automotive engineer who found 28 faults on the vehicle. I then took my car to Hendy in Exeter who also confirmed the faults were present. Hope this gives some insight to the Eden work practices.

I couldn’t agree more - we bought our MG4 from them last year and the service and approach was and has subsequently been exemplary. Great people to deal with.

The car had its first service a couple of weeks ago and again fantastic service from all concerned, they even took us out for a quick spin (very quick) in the Xpower. The bill for the service of £85 all in, is a bit different to the last service bill of nearly £500 for my previous diesel hybrid.

Well done Eden, Newton Abbot, keep up the good work.
Wait until you get some complex issues and then see how they perform!

Hi all.
I have a ZS ev which is approaching 1 year old. I have experienced software problems from the first week of ownership. I have complained numerous times, had 5 diagnostic checks, each time I was told no faults could be found. On the last occasion the technician carried out the checks I had a discussion with him and I thought some of his replies to my questions showed some lack of electrical knowledge. (I had over 40 years in the electrical industry). I then employed a consultant automotive engineer who found 28 faults on the vehicle. I then took my car to Hendy in Exeter who also confirmed the faults were present. Hope this gives some insight to the Eden work practices.

Doesn’t surprise me at all to read this, they were fobbing me off for ages too, you made the right choice in going elsewhere. There was a huge element of “we couldn’t care less about your warranty issue, we have new MG’s to sell” when I was there. As I first drove into the car park, there were two “technicians…” from servicing standing at the front of the dealership, both on their phones and smoking - not a massive deal but it’s simply a terrible look for a business in my opinion and it’s not much to ask for someone not to smoke near my young son.

Ultimately, my advice to Newton Abbot Eden MG was - if you don’t care about MG owners and their 7 year warranties - hand over the badge and the dealership to someone who does.

Hi all.

This sounds very similar to my experience all be it with a different MG service centre. Interestingly after some initial repairs they went quiet on me and then I find out the dealership is no longer selling new cars but will still be servicing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn’t surprise me at all to read this, they were fobbing me off for ages too, you made the right choice in going elsewhere. There was a huge element of “we couldn’t care less about your warranty issue, we have new MG’s to sell” when I was there. As I first drove into the car park, there were two “technicians…” from servicing standing at the front of the dealership, both on their phones and smoking - not a massive deal but it’s simply a terrible look for a business in my opinion and it’s not much to ask for someone not to smoke near my young son.

Ultimately, my advice to Newton Abbot Eden MG was - if you don’t care about MG owners and their 7 year warranties - hand over the badge and the dealership to someone who does.
The problem is and I believe that this is largely network wide , is that MG is such a small entity in the UK that the service centres are very cheaply run , in my experience only have a few staff and with all due respect didn’t appear to be at the top of their game. They spent most of the time telling me that the cars were crap and I should expect them to go wrong…..not great to hear,

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom