Electroverse plug and charge

Gomev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Looks like Electroverse (Octopus) are introducing plug and charge using their card.
We know that plug and charge works on Fastned chargers with MGs (register car on the Fastned app) but is not currently included in the list of compatible cars with Electroverse. I have provided feedback asking if it will be.
Look like it's only on Ionity at the moment but hopefully will grow.

Other threads about this...

All EV’s should just be able to plug into public chargers and the car and account be recognised and charging started. All the card and app nonsense will eventually disappear.

All EV’s should just be able to plug into public chargers and the car and account be recognised and charging started. All the card and app nonsense will eventually disappear.
Agreed. Imagine the uproar if ICE drivers were forced to do this to get their fuel.

Plug and charge would be the utopia i guess, but it's not only an ev problem - having to jump through hoops.
I tried to buy something in store at an Argos today.
First touch screen - was a black screen with some error message showing on it.
Second touch screen - went all the way until payment but would not accept my card - i tried 3 x times
Third touch screen - i walked off as it displayed - Houston we have a problem message :ROFLMAO:
Fourth touch screen - only showed an option to pay with cash or vouchers
:mad::mad:
Fifth touch screen - Actually worked on all fronts.

Imagine if a journalist had had this aggro trying to charge an ev on a test drive. God help the headlines.

I applied for the electroverse card out of curiosity & it arrived last week,So as I've never used a public charger before I thought I'll try it out as there are a couple of local 50kW chargers (Osprey) yesterday. It didn't work on either :rolleyes: One showed a spanner symbol against the different plug types so I'm taking it was broken? I had to release the plug manually & the other one which screen faced south directly into sunshine was impossible to read a thing on it so I gave up.

I applied for the electroverse card out of curiosity & it arrived last week,So as I've never used a public charger before I thought I'll try it out as there are a couple of local 50kW chargers (Osprey) yesterday. It didn't work on either :rolleyes: One showed a spanner symbol against the different plug types so I'm taking it was broken? I had to release the plug manually & the other one which screen faced south directly into sunshine was impossible to read a thing on it so I gave up.
Did the card not work, or was it the chargers that did not work.

Did the card not work, or was it the chargers that did not work.

I'm taking it that the first Osprey charger was out of order, Zapmap said it was available. I tapped the card against the machine & it made a ping noise then it said insert plug into vehicle then those spanner symbols came on the screen!!! The plug wouldn't release from the car so had to do it manually under the bonnet.
The second Osprey charger screen was completely washed out in sunlight & impossible to read anything so I didn't bother with it.

I get really frustrated with the amount of times public chargers just don’t work as they should. I’ve never had a Tesla Supercharger fail in over 5 years of use and many many charges. Why can’t all public chargers be like that?

One reason I called it a day & didn't want to tempt fate is this, My ZS EV hasn't had any software updates since getting it new in 2020 & also having had two services. I've never used a DC public charger before so didn't know what to expect. I didn't want a charger bricking my car like you read on this site so I erred on the side of caution.

I'm taking it that the first Osprey charger was out of order, Zapmap said it was available. I tapped the card against the machine & it made a ping noise then it said insert plug into vehicle then those spanner symbols came on the screen!!! The plug wouldn't release from the car so had to do it manually under the bonnet.
The second Osprey charger screen was completely washed out in sunlight & impossible to read anything so I didn't bother with it.
I never trust Zapmap as to whether a pump is working/broken free or in use.

Looks like Electroverse (Octopus) are introducing plug and charge using their card.
We know that plug and charge works on Fastned chargers with MGs (register car on the Fastned app) but is not currently included in the list of compatible cars with Electroverse. I have provided feedback asking if it will be.
Look like it's only on Ionity at the moment but hopefully will grow.

Other threads about this...

I asked Octopus Electroverse about
MG 5 SE compatability. This was the reply, disappointing but I understand the why not at this time.👴

Hi George,

Thanks for getting in touch! Great to hear you are interested in Plug & Charge, at the moment Fastned dont actually utilise the same technical protocol we have to use as a Non-Charge point operator. They have more direct control to see the vehicle that is charging to allow it to start.

The way we utilise Plug & Charge is through a public protocol that needs both EV manufacturers and charging operators to engage with, which is still in the early days. At the moment, I dont believe MG have adopted the necessary technical protocols to allow for Plug & Charge. We'd recommend directly messaging them (we find Twitter best, still) to try prompt them to get on board and provide software updates to allow this on their current EVs!

The advantage of this Plug & Charge approach is that you'll have 1 account to charge across multiple operators in the same way you have your Electrocard or App. Fastneds approach although VERY Good at closing the gap with the likes of Tesla, would mean we repeat the process of needing multiple accounts per operator to have that Plug & Charge feature.

You can read more about our Plug & Charge setup here.

Feel free to let us know if you have any further questions, suggestions or Ideas!

James
Octopus Electroverse
Octopus Energy Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 09263424. Registered office: UK House, 5th Floor, 164-182 Oxford Street, London, United Kingdom, W1D 1NN

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom