Energy consumption accuracy

revpeterw

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all
I've noticed a discrepancy on my MG5 PFL between the consumption reported on the dashboard and the one I calculated using the state of charge percentage before and after a trip. For example yesterday for a 70 mile trip the car reported a consumption of 4.0miles/kWh. However looking at the state of charge which went from 48% to 12%, assuming 58kWh usable capacity, the consumption came out as 3.35 miles/kWh. Why the difference?
The outside temp was 8 degrees. Has the battery capacity gone down?
Revpeterw

Strange that the figures are almost spot on for a Standard Range battery!

Hi all
I've noticed a discrepancy on my MG5 PFL between the consumption reported on the dashboard and the one I calculated using the state of charge percentage before and after a trip. For example yesterday for a 70 mile trip the car reported a consumption of 4.0miles/kWh. However looking at the state of charge which went from 48% to 12%, assuming 58kWh usable capacity, the consumption came out as 3.35 miles/kWh. Why the difference?
Revpeterw
There is a thread on here somewhere that basically states that battery % is only guide and not a precise measurement.

I’ve had a few journeys in my FL5 where consumption and battery % used are clearly out of alignment. Best example is when I’ve done ~10miles with no loss of battery %!!!

Hi all
Revpeterw
There is some loss of capacity during cold weather but 8 degrees isn’t exactly freezing. A degraded battery (SoH 83%) could also explain it but again is highly unlikely.
It could be that the battery capacity value is corrupted, easiest way to recalculate is to slow charge from 10% to 100% and keep it connected to let cell balancing take place.
Afterwards reset all trip counters, turn off lights, heat/AC etc, set to Eco and read out actual range, it should show 250miles if I remember correctly..

There is some loss of capacity during cold weather but 8 degrees isn’t exactly freezing. A degraded battery (SoH 83%) could also explain it but again is highly unlikely.
It could be that the battery capacity value is corrupted, easiest way to recalculate is to slow charge from 10% to 100% and keep it connected to let cell balancing take place.
Afterwards reset all trip counters, turn off lights, heat/AC etc, set to Eco and read out actual range, it should show 250miles if I remember correctly..
Set to Normal.

70 miles using 36% battery is pretty good for under 10c, that's a fraction under 200 miles total range. It's pretty much what I'm getting now driving the pre-fl long range.

When I drove the standard range I'd be getting about 30-40 miles less under 10c and as low as 150miles total range at 0c.

Hi all
Revpeterw
I've noticed on my 6 month old MG5 trophy that if I do short trips of 1 or 2 miles the range drops by 1% per mile suggesting 100 m range and the car stats show 2.3m/kWh! The best I've had on a 35m trip was 3.7m/ kWh which is close to the predicted range (temp 12c).

I've noticed on my 6 month old MG5 trophy that if I do short trips of 1 or 2 miles the range drops by 1% per mile suggesting 100 m range and the car stats show 2.3m/kWh! The best I've had on a 35m trip was 3.7m/ kWh which is close to the predicted range (temp 12c).
If you're starting your trips from 100% charge then that is normal as the car does not regenerate at all until you drop to about ~94%

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom