EV Batteries information for ALL new & old.

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
The information in these to videos could be helpful to those new to EVs and those not to sure what they should or shouldn’t be doing with the cars have a watch.
Les

Yeah, watched that last night. He's so good at getting the message across. (And he doesn't have an American accent!)

Before I listened to him I was all at sixes and sevens, and people kept saying, even if it's an LFP you shouldn't charge it beyond 80%, and you know operating between 50% and 70% is optimal, and impractical remarks like that. Especially impractical when MG has deliberately disabled the facility to stop the charge early for the SR battery.

It's all absolute balderdash. And the video was really reassuring for NMC owners as well, pointing out how robust the things really are, and that the limits of how you should treat them are a lot wider than the fanatical 20% to 80% advocates admit.

Last edited:
I charge my MG5 SR battery to 100% every night and 2 years, 60k miles later the soh is still 98%
I'm not saying don't look after your battery but don't worry about it only lasting a few years if you do happen to charge it to 100% often.

Is that an NMC? Just backs up that they're not as fragile as a lot of people make them out to be. I presume you're driving the car every day and not leaving it sitting at that charge?

Is that an NMC? Just backs up that they're not as fragile as a lot of people make them out to be. I presume you're driving the car every day and not leaving it sitting at that charge?

~200 miles per day weekdays and a little on weekends yes.

I've noticed the owners manual contradicts itself by saying keep it below 80 percent during normal use but if you use it every day day charge it to 100 percent once a week?

SR isn't NMC so 100 percent is what it's designed to be charged to all the time

I thought it was once a month for the NMC battery.

The advice to charge the LFP to 100% once a week is all very well, but many people who don't do high mileages won't easily manage that. My feeling is, always charge the LFP to 100% when it's on an AC charger, and if you're running it up and down to 80% on DC chargers, try to let it go to 100% on an AC charger once a week. Of course, if you're not charging every week, that won't strictly apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom