EV Costs

Rocinante

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll throw this out here to see if anyone has the time/knowledge/inclination to help. I think there was a spreadsheet on here that may help me, but couldn't see it, and there are so many variables to consider

Been lurking on here as thinking about getting an EV namely the MG5, costs have to work out though.

Appreciate there is a lot of variables, and struggling to get a handle on it.

Commute is a mix of motorway and winding country roads (60mph), including traffic and roundabouts in places, so I was guessing 3.5m/kw for the car, is that reasonable ?
Currently got an 11 year old diesel, getting around 14.5p/mile at the minute, and with a 90mile round trip to work, fuels costing me around £3100 per year for the commute.
Based on my current rate (27.84p/kwh) that works out about £1315 per year for the electricity.
So over 4 years I'd be saving £5200 in fuel on electric. (I appreciate overnight rates, but struggling to see these as you are directed to call up, but at 7.5p/kwh, which I think I've seen that brings the saving up to £10,000 over the 4 years, but I couldn't see what day electric/ gas would raise to, to complete that calc)
That sounds good, but I'll have to drop £23,000 on an MG5 (looking second hand), to get that saving, as opposed to £0 to keeping my current car. So keeping the MG for 4 years would cost me £16,000 in depreciation.
Used the MG ZS here: (MG Car Depreciation By Model Calculator) as there is no MG5.
Assumed my car current would be worthless after 4 years (WBAC -currently offering £3k)

So over 4 years MG5 would cost me £23,000. (£16Kdepreciation+£7k fuel) Current ICE £15,000 (£3k+ £12k fuel)
That possibly shrinks if I can get a handle on electricity rates, but I'd also have to consider rising electricity prices. Then you start to get in to maintenance costs especially with an 11 year old car, but still a big difference.

Trying to mitigate maintenance costs, an alternate newer ICE comparable with the MG5, would be a Fiat Tipo Estate £6k depreciation +£12k fuel, comes in at £18k over the 4 years.

Thinking at the minute, I'm best sitting tight and see if car prices drop at all, as well as seeing what electricity prices do.

If you've made it through that, well done. I appreciate that's a rather long winded complicated post, any direction or guidance, or even a point to that spreadsheet would be appreciated.

Hi, you may need to consider the delivery time for cars currently and that there is a facelift coming for the MG5 at the end of the year.
You will have to phone Octopus to get a deal but I think you need a car registration to do it at the moment.
It's not just the car that can use the off peak 7.5p rate just put stuff on timers👍

Hi, you may need to consider the delivery time for cars currently and that there is a facelift coming for the MG5 at the end of the year.
You will have to phone Octopus to get a deal but I think you need a car registration to do it at the moment.
It's not just the car that can use the off peak 7.5p rate just put stuff on timers👍
Thanks, I'm not in any particular hurry, and I am looking at second hand ones anyway, so the wait time doesn't affect me. The introduction of a facelifted model could potentially have an impact on second hand ones though, so I may be best holding out till at least they are released.

As for stuff on timers, I can't picture that much stuff, we could do, The heating is gas, and we don't use a tumble dryer. The washing machine is a possibility, but can't think of much else.

I have gas heating but now use the immersion heater that was already in the hot water tank.
We also have a water heater in the loft conversion.
I put battery chargers for tools and the Dyson on a timer.
Every little helps😁

I have gas heating but now use the immersion heater that was already in the hot water tank.
We also have a water heater in the loft conversion.
I put battery chargers for tools and the Dyson on a timer.
Every little helps😁
SNAP !.
We have heated our stored hot water with a gas boiler for years.
But after the big 54% increase in energy prices in April 22 and another ( speculated ) 30% increase due in Oct / Nov 22.
I started looking hard at different alternatives to save on energy / costs.
Our current cheap "Off Peak" tariff is 5p / Kwh between the hours of 1.00am and 6.00am.
Therefore I have decided to install an emersion heater timer, this is used on the cheaper rate and I have now deleted the scheduled timer setting for our gas boiler, once used to heat the morning hot water.
I have also had the DNO to upgrade our main protection fuse from 60 Amps to 100 Amps.
Sliding as much usage as we can into that "Off Peak" window.
Anything that I can use on a timer control, get's pushed into that cheaper "Off Peak" period now.

Trying to compare running an 11 year old dinosaur to an almost new EV is not comparative. You also need to include the smile factor when you sliently and swiftly whoosh to work in luxury in your MG. Cant put a price on that :)

Based on my current rate (27.84p/kwh) that works out about £1315 per year for the electricity.
So over 4 years I'd be saving £5200 in fuel on electric. (I appreciate overnight rates, but struggling to see these as you are directed to call up, but at 7.5p/kwh, which I think I've seen that brings the saving up to £10,000 over the 4 years, but I couldn't see what day electric/ gas would raise to, to complete that calc)
go to the following website, enter your postcode and scroll down to find your prices at Octopus.
DO NOT CLICK ON GET QUOTE..... just scroll down after entering your postcode.

You will probably find it easier to use the filters for domestic etc. to reduce the number of tariffs shown.

Need to dial in 4 years maintenance costs + mot's.
Plus road tax and congestion charges - which are getting common place.
I did mention maintenance in my 'essay', (appreciate it's a pretty long post) but it's a difficult one to assess though, that's why I dropped a newer ICE car in as well to the mix, to try mitigate that. (A 2 year old Tipo).
If I can get an accurate handle on the electric costs, I'll need to make a call on the maintenance costs.
Current car is £30 a year in tax, so negligible.
No anticipated congestion charges on my drive.

Last edited:
Trying to compare running an 11 year old dinosaur to an almost new EV is not comparative. You also need to include the smile factor when you sliently and swiftly whoosh to work in luxury in your MG. Cant put a price on that :)
My 11 year old is pretty luxurious to be fair, I'm generally pretty happy with it. I appreciate what you're saying, but costs is my primary driving factor, which is why I'm trying to get a handle on it.

I think you need to factor in inflation and the increasing demand for electric vehicles both of these will support the cars resale value after 4 years. This could be a significant factor for your depreciation calculation. Also diesel and petrol prices are going to continue rising and probably faster than electricity prices.

go to the following website, enter your postcode and scroll down to find your prices at Octopus.
DO NOT CLICK ON GET QUOTE..... just scroll down after entering your postcode.

You will probably find it easier to use the filters for domestic etc. to reduce the number of tariffs shown.

Thanks for this, finally managed to track down some rates, one at the top of the list seems too good to be true though. (Perhaps out of date?).

Octopus Tracker v3
Electricity 18.08p/kWh
Gas - 2.74p/kWh

Currently paying 27.84p & 7.336p.

If they are out of date though, it perhaps puts in to question all the rates I can see. Maybe will just need to call them.

Thanks for this, finally managed to track down some rates, one at the top of the list seems too good to be true though. (Perhaps out of date?).

Octopus Tracker v3
Electricity 18.08p/kWh
Gas - 2.74p/kWh

If they are out of date though, it perhaps puts in to question all the rates I can see. Maybe will just need to call them.
No chance gas is that cheap

No chance gas is that cheap
It is listed as a current tariff, as I said though perhaps the website is out of date, as you need to actually call them to sign up, and there are repeated warnings that you are probably better staying where you are and benefitting from the price cap, so it seems unlikely that this is so far below the cap.

Attachments

• 1652176178886.png
    1652176178886.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 90
It is listed as a current tariff, as I said though perhaps the website is out of date, as you need to actually call them to sign up, and there are repeated warnings that you are probably better staying where you are and benefitting from the price cap, so it seems unlikely that this is so far below the cap.
World prices for gas have been at their lowest for years, although risen again so it may be true, especially as it is listed as current. Note it is a tracker, not fixed.
I spotted that yesterday and intend to ring up at some time about the gas.

Octopus Tracker v3
Electricity 18.08p/kWh
Gas - 2.74p/kWh

World prices for gas have been at their lowest for years, although risen again so it may be true, especially as it is listed as current. Note it is a tracker, not fixed.
I spotted that yesterday and intend to ring up at some time about the gas.
I finally got round to ringing up about the tracker prices. The guy I spoke to eventually found them and yes they are available and are currently cheaper.
These differ from Agile in that you submit monthly readings or by smart meter if you have one.

Todays prices, 16/05/2022

Electricity​

• Unit rate:21.46 p/kWhStanding charge:48.26 p/day

Gas​

• Unit rate:3.5 p/kWhStanding charge:27.22 p/day

Description​

Octopus Tracker v3

He provided a link via an email to me to sign up if you wanted to ..... Introducing Octopus Tracker: Britain's fairest energy tariff
but this appears to sign you up to both elec and gas although he did say you could just take the gas alone and stay on the Go for elec. Probably need to call to do that.
There are no fees for switching tariffs to and fro he also said.

If you are interested I suggest ringing yourself to get first hand information as this may or may not be totally correct but is as I was told.

I finally got round to ringing up about the tracker prices. The guy I spoke to eventually found them and yes they are available and are currently cheaper.
These differ from Agile in that you submit monthly readings or by smart meter if you have one.

Todays prices, 16/05/2022

Electricity​

• Unit rate:21.46 p/kWhStanding charge:48.26 p/day

Gas​

• Unit rate:3.5 p/kWhStanding charge:27.22 p/day

Description​

Octopus Tracker v3

He provided a link via an email to me to sign up if you wanted to ..... Introducing Octopus Tracker: Britain's fairest energy tariff
but this appears to sign you up to both elec and gas although he did say you could just take the gas alone and stay on the Go for elec. Probably need to call to do that.
There are no fees for switching tariffs to and fro he also said.

If you are interested I suggest ringing yourself to get first hand information as this may or may not be totally correct but is as I was told.
Does the cap apply to this tracker, which seems like the best of all worlds ?
Or the fact that it's a tracker presumably mean, that it could rise above the cap ?

Edit: appreciate that you've said probably best to call, but if it came up.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom