EV Mode

Siddons

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi
Just picked my HS Exclusive up a few days ago and I am really struggling with the EV function mode , does anybody know if the engine needs to be warm prior to selecting EV ?

I have had mine for a couple of weeks and have hardly used the ICE. However there is a list of conditions that must be met to get EV only. This are listed in the manual and it has been discussed in other threads. Here is what I do. You can't run EV if the HAV heating is selected to a temp higher than the car is currently as the engine warms the car. I just have HVAC off (soft button on HVAC page) as I like the car cool (if you want car cooler than ambient AC will work in EV mode). Normal mornings no problem and the residual airflow through the car keeps my windows and screen clear. Damp mornings I switch on demist it restarts the HVAC and the engine to warm the air and clear the windows. It takes surprising little time. I then switch off the demist (hard button not on the screen) re press the EV button engine stops EV continues. Don't forget the heated seats if you are cold. My car is showing well over 200mpg as I have not used the Ice except as described above (175 miles covered so far 90% in EV only) The PHEV makes great sense for me as I had an MG5 but daily was doing 25 miles or so. EV infrastructure was driving me mad on longer journeys. too many EVs, too few available spaces, too many Apps/RFID cards, too many not working etc. Hopefully that will improve.

I have had mine for a couple of weeks and have hardly used the ICE. However there is a list of conditions that must be met to get EV only. This are listed in the manual and it has been discussed in other threads. Here is what I do. You can't run EV if the HAV heating is selected to a temp higher than the car is currently as the engine warms the car. I just have HVAC off (soft button on HVAC page) as I like the car cool (if you want car cooler than ambient AC will work in EV mode). Normal mornings no problem and the residual airflow through the car keeps my windows and screen clear. Damp mornings I switch on demist it restarts the HVAC and the engine to warm the air and clear the windows. It takes surprising little time. I then switch off the demist (hard button not on the screen) re press the EV button engine stops EV continues. Don't forget the heated seats if you are cold. My car is showing well over 200mpg as I have not used the Ice except as described above (175 miles covered so far 90% in EV only) The PHEV makes great sense for me as I had an MG5 but daily was doing 25 miles or so. EV infrastructure was driving me mad on longer journeys. too many EVs, too few available spaces, too many Apps/RFID cards, too many not working etc. Hopefully that will improve.
PS to get it to work as above heating needs to be set at a lower temp (I just leave on low and raise the temp when demisting if required) to ensure the HVAC doesn't keep restarting the engine and disconnecting the EV mode

PS to get it to work as above heating needs to be set at a lower temp (I just leave on low and raise the temp when demisting if required) to ensure the HVAC doesn't keep restarting the engine and disconnecting the EV mode
Thank you for that , I will give it a go ,very useful information

Hi
Just picked my HS Exclusive up a few days ago and I am really struggling with the EV function mode , does anybody know if the engine needs to be warm prior to selecting EV ?
I would like to give you some advice which will sound barking mad. For the first 1000 miles I ran my car in hybrid mode to run the ICE in as it says in the book not to over rev it. Now I am at 4000 miles and when the ICE has run it is sooth when warms up and now getting better MPG. If you are trying to run around in EV then should have got a full EV car, I now wish I did but the old Zs had so many bad this about on here put me off. Just let’s see how the new one goes.

I would like to give you some advice which will sound barking mad. For the first 1000 miles I ran my car in hybrid mode to run the ICE in as it says in the book not to over rev it. Now I am at 4000 miles and when the ICE has run it is sooth when warms up and now getting better MPG. If you are trying to run around in EV then should have got a full EV car, I now wish I did but the old Zs had so many bad this about on here put me off. Just let’s see how the new one goes.
Disagree re Hybrid. I do less than 30 miles per day so Hybrid perfect. Had an MG 5 but got fed up with infrastructure availability reliability complex payment methods on longer trips hence back to Hybrid.

Odd thing with the PHEV is that it tells you to not exceed 3000 rpm during the run in period ... but there no rev counter, unless I'm missing something.

Also no engine temp indicator, so I don't know when the engine is up to temp which would make a better choice of when to drop it into EV mode and still get warm air.

No rev counter dial, but if you scroll through the in-dash options there is a page that shows you the (live) engine speed (no temp, though). I use this screen the most and can confirm that even when “auto” is in use, the petrol engine can switch off and you can see the revs go to zero.
Hope that helps.

Hi
Hi you have to turn off the heating to get full EV mode, otherwise the system will restart the combustion engine when the heating is needed. I either run the car for 5 or 6 Miles to warm up then switch to EV or just turn the heating off and run EV hope this helps.

Disagree re Hybrid. I do less than 30 miles per day so Hybrid perfect. Had an MG 5 but got fed up with infrastructure availability reliability complex payment methods on longer trips hence back to Hybrid.
You may disagree but the below is from the book about running in the engine better to run in on local then asking to do a long journey. You need to bed in all the moving parts. Page 170

nomical and Environmental Driving Running-in The engine, transmission, brakes and tyres need time to ‘bed-in’ and adjust to the demands of everyday motoring. During the first 900 miles, it is essential that you drive with consideration for the running-in process and heed the following advice: • Donotallowtheenginetoexceed3000rpminanygear or the vehicle speed to exceed 72 MPH. • Do not operate at full throttle or allow the engine to labour in any gear. • Donot drive at a constant speed (either high speed or low speed). • Avoid heavy braking where possible. After 900 miles, engine speeds can be gradually increased

You may disagree but the below is from the book about running in the engine better to run in on local then asking to do a long journey. You need to bed in all the moving parts. Page 170

He disagreed with regard to your comment “if you are trying to run around in EV then should have got a full EV car”. And not about the engine running in.

I see yet I got the PHEV and I knew what know now I think I would have gone full electric but would have to the up dated car. At less I save on petrol going driving around on EV and will be better when I get tariff sorted out.

I see yet I got the PHEV and I knew what know now I think I would have gone full electric but would have to the up dated car. At less I save on petrol going driving around on EV and will be better when I get tariff sorted out.

I absolutely love driving in EV. None of the clunkiness of the engine. Just a shame about the gear change at 50mph otherwise it is effortless. I had a ZS EV for a day as a courtesy car and loved the EV driving on that too. I think I can live with a full EV but unfortunately an EV the size of the HS is just way too expensive/overpriced which is the only thing that put me off.

Just a quick heads up: to switch off the HVAC (to maintain EV mode) without needing to reduce the heat/temperature setting, simply long press the climate shortcut switch to switch off/on. Simples!
I only switch on HVAC clear windows on a damp morning the rest of the time the airflow in the car is sufficient to keep windows clear. I like it cool anyway and the electric seats keep my bum warm. Had to have it on for Aircon this weekend! That of course does not need the ICE.🥵

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom