EVM on opening Tesla Supercharger Network

It's a dilemma isn't it? To me, the overarching requirement is to save the planet so the more charging points available, the better. This will further promote EV adoption IMO. I can understand, though, why some Tesla drivers might feel aggrieved.

It's a dilemma isn't it? To me, the overarching requirement is to save the planet so the more charging points available, the better. This will further promote EV adoption IMO. I can understand, though, why some Tesla drivers might feel aggrieved.
Interesting point made in this video about opening up the network for legal reasons but might price it such to deter usage from non- Tesla drivers. Would still be nice to have the option if needed but would mean they’d not be first choice

I don't think he will price it so it's not usable. I think it will be more expensive for non-Tesla owners, maybe double?

I do think each location will have Tesla only chargers though to keep Tesla owners happy.

Just my thoughts having seen some of Elon's tweets.

Ionity has reduced price if using certain cars (who help fund their network, eg Ford). If I rock up with a credit card and my ZS, it costs 69p. Telsa needs to take a note out of ionity play book and quickly or they will lose out from gridserve's rapid expansion.

So here in Scotland, I see so many Teslas topping up at Charge Place Scotland chargers with some of them being free!! Yet I can't charge my ZS at there chargers about a mile from me.

Well all cps chargers are free just now, or they were this week because of the changeover and so many cps cards not working.

Telsa needs to take a note out of ionity play book and quickly or they will lose out from gridserve's rapid expansion.
This maybe part of the plan !.
As Gridserve is expanding, then Tesla can see this as a good opportunity to get in on the act and grab some revenue !.
Some of this extra additional funding can be used to expand / increase the charging network even more.
I don't think Gridserve will be too happy if this does go ahead, it will cast a grey shadow over their future plans, which is a big shame.
But with the increase in EV's - There could be plenty of room for both parties.
I can understand the frustration that Tesla owners will be feeling, IF this does go ahead.
You could feel a bit "Let Down" as when buying into a Tesla, you did so knowing it came with a fantastic charging network, that is both plentiful and reliable.
But it is equally frustrating as a non Tesla owner seeing all of them chargers not being used, when you arrived at another charger and it is out of order and you are low on range.
I CAN see both sides of the debate to be honest.
Pricing to charge on the Tesla units is going to be another major factor as well.
Ionity have reliable unit's, but they are at the very top end of the pricing scale.
Are Tesla likely to adopt this type of pricing structure, or under cut Ionity ?.
Or, more likely to adopt a subscription based service like BP Pulse and then an charge an additional price per kw to charge ?.
Higher than what the Tesla owners pay, but less that the Ionity charges.
I believe there is some new legal legislation, that
dictates that new charging sites have to be open to all EV's now ?.

This being the case, then Tesla's hands are firmly tied behind their backs, and if so, then Tesla owners have to understand and accept this situation.
It is a massive balancing act, and you have to get it JUST right.
It will be fantastic step forward for both present and future EV adopters, if it comes off.
EVM has made the suggestion, that the Tesla charging network and Tesla cars ( build ) is run as two independent companies, which makes perfect sense to me.
But we have to remember, that there is one HUGE difference between the still growing Gridserve network and the Tesla charging network.
That being, that the Tesla charging network is very much ALREADY in place !.
This gives them a massive advantage, almost the flick of a switch.
My guess is, to access this Tesla units you will first need to set up a Tesla account and register your vehicle and once your payment method is set up, you are pretty much ready to go !.
Just plug / play and then pay your bill.
Simple is always best policy.

Why won't your car charge there?
Tesla chargers aren't set up for non tesla yet
I don't have a problem with Tesla owners charging at non Tesla chargers! but! Tesla have to increase the amount of chargers here in Scotland which is pretty poor!!

Tesla super chargers work seamlessly. You plug in and then unplug when done. You get billed automatically. The same company that makes the software also makes the hardware. the car and charger speak the same ‘language’. The car is registered to the account so it knows who is charging and whom to bill.
Now add the complexity with different manufacturers. They might not be able to speak to one another. the charger wont recognise you as a person in a non Tesla. They would then need to add a method of payment collection which brings another charging app onto the market. Needless to say the whole Tesla network would need to be then retrofitted. The cost will then be passed on to you as a customer.
Furthermore, I strongly believe Tesla will then lose one edge over all the other manufacturers which would be an exclusive network, losing customers in the process.
Somehow, I don’t see that happening.
Destination chargers on the other hand are different and usually open to non Tesla cars, at least my local one is.

Now add the complexity with different manufacturers. They might not be able to speak to one another

This is one of the biggest issues with charging, the motor industry is historically paranoid about protecting their profits, using proprietary methods for everything they possibly can*.
The communication between car and charger is supposed to be common but it seems to throw up problems with every new model and manufacturer.

*In car satnav being so dire is an example of this.

The communication between car and charger is supposed to be common
On a slightly different note, can a charger detect what car (make or model) is connected.

If (for example hypothetically :D) a family member received free membership to a network with their new (non MG) EV would it be detectable if a differing make was to use it?

On a slightly different note, can a charger detect what car (make or model) is connected.

If (for example hypothetically :D) a family member received free membership to a network with their new (non MG) EV would it be detectable if a differing make was to use it?
No, you're hypothetically safe 😂 as long as it's not Tesla....

Gridserve are looking at doing this, so that they can use the Tesla model, plug in charge leave.

I can't find the youtube of Toddington Harper at the Rugby Moto services where he explains it but it may also be mentioned in this video.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom