Finally found a well designed cable protector.

PremierscfcEV

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I currently have to charge on-street and I've been searching for something that would protect pedestrians when I charge through the night.

Luckily I came across this UK company and bought the 1.5 bundle which is perfect for my needs is quick to fit and pack away afterwards.

Ultimately I would like a Kerbo or Gul-E but I have to get my local council interested first.

Attachments

• 20230608_224605.jpg
    20230608_224605.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 168
  • 20230609_065227.jpg
    20230609_065227.jpg
    849.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 20230609_065339.jpg
    20230609_065339.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 165
Are your local council not "interested" in what you're doing at the moment? A guy up the road from me with an Ioniq was doing this (I believe from a granny charger), but only after a fairly protracted battle with the council to get permission. I haven't seen him doing it for ages and I think the permission was revoked when they installed a public charger a short walk from his house.

Some councils absolutely forbid this. If you don't have specific permission you could be in some trouble, and your liability if someone trips over that (despite your precautions) could be significant.

The Highways Act 1980 makes it illegal to place a wire or apparatus over, along or across a highway/pavement without consent from the Highway Authority. Penalty fines can be given unless there is proof that all necessary means to give adequate warning have been taken.

Well if I want to charge I have to park outside the house, I contacted the council before I ordered and I was told I could do it if I removed it when it had charged, I have had many communications with the council highways department about having a Kerbo or Gul-e fitted.

I have done absolutely everything to protect pedestrians and the Edion cover very low and it gives me the luxury of home charging that offroad parkers take for granted.

I don't appreciate members stating 'why are you on the pavement' and I HAVE done 'all necessary means to give adequate warning have been taken'

Well if I want to charge I have to park outside the house, I contacted the council before I ordered and I was told I could do it if I removed it when it had charged, I have had many communications with the council highways department about having a Kerbo or Gul-e fitted.

I have done absolutely everything to protect pedestrians and the Edion cover very low and it gives me the luxury of home charging that offroad parkers take for granted.

I don't appreciate members stating 'why are you on the pavement' and I HAVE done 'all necessary means to give adequate warning have been taken'

If the council have said you can run the cable (I hope you have it in writing) then you're OK on that front. Although perhaps you should investigate public liability insurance, because permission may not mean that you're indemnified from liability if it does cause someone to trip.

It's illegal to park on the pavement. It's that simple. "Why" doesn't actually come into it.

I'm also interested in charging for people who don't have off-road parking, and I think the thread should stay open to discuss that. I would be interested to hear about the Kerbo and the Gul-E, what they do and what's needed to get them fitted, as I have a friend who would like an EV but who is in that position.

Perhaps we could draw a line under the parking solecism and continue on topic?

@PremierscfcEV - I sympathise!

Sometimes it is necessary for people to partially park on the pavement. Many many roads are so narrow that if cars parked fully in the road, large emergency vehicles would not be able to get through. Most people park their vehicles so as not to inconvenience pedestrians, but also make sure not to impede the fire brigade.

There are areas where all the roads are like this, so it’s just not possible to ‘park elsewhere’.
Thanks so much for your reply, Its nice to get a nice non critical response.

I wasn't being critical with my response, and if that is how it appears then I apologise. I wanted to inform other forum members that if they choose to run a cable across the pavement, they have to contact the highways department. In your initial post, you didn't indicate that.

I wasn't being critical with my response, and if that is how it appears then I apologise. I wanted to inform other forum members that if they choose to run a cable across the pavement, they have to contact the highways department. In your initial post, you didn't indicate that.
Thanks for your response, this what I have purchased Iin my attempt to protect pedestrians,

But this is what I would really like as I'm one of the 40%.

and this is Gul-e which started in Oxford.

This thread is about on-street charging, not parking.
I have therefore deleted all posts unrelated on-street parking except a couple for context.
This is an important topic which will need addressing in various ways for the 40% of households without off-street parking to adopt EVs.
I am therefore reluctant to close the thread.
@PremierscfcEV thank you for starting this thread and showing an example of the method you have used to overcome the problem and issues you have faced.
Please, other readers, reply with your thoughts on the topic.

I was serious about the public liability. This evening I was out on the village green which had a whole bunch of fast-food and other vehicles parked up servicing the ongoing gala week festivities. One of them had one of these cable protectors across the pavement - I think it was taking power from the mains supply in the church to barbecue stuff. I'm sure it was all legal and safety-checked, but I still nearly tripped over it.

The village gala committee has public liability insurance, which I believe costs them a fortune, so accidents of this nature would be covered. I'd be sorry to see PremierscfcEV run into trouble because someone tripped and fell, despite the cable being legal.

Thanks for your response, this what I have purchased Iin my attempt to protect pedestrians,

But this is what I would really like as I'm one of the 40%.

and this is Gul-e which started in Oxford.

That is extremely interesting. I had heard about these solutions, but didn't really know how they worked. The Kerbo and the Gul-E seem very similar - is there a particular reason why you'd prefer the Kerbo?

I will pass these videos on to my friend in Glasgow. She really needs to start badgering her council about them.

That is extremely interesting. I had heard about these solutions, but didn't really know how they worked. The Kerbo and the Gul-E seem very similar - is there a particular reason why you'd prefer the Kerbo?

I will pass these videos on to my friend in Glasgow. She really needs to start badgering her council about them.
I prefer Kerbo because they give you a template to contact your local council and I get update emails telling me how they are getting on with councils around the country.
I'm trying to arrange a meeting with someone at the local highways department, I will keep trying and I don’t intend to give up until its adopted locally.

I was serious about the public liability. This evening I was out on the village green which had a whole bunch of fast-food and other vehicles parked up servicing the ongoing gala week festivities. One of them had one of these cable protectors across the pavement - I think it was taking power from the mains supply in the church to barbecue stuff. I'm sure it was all legal and safety-checked, but I still nearly tripped over it.

The village gala committee has public liability insurance, which I believe costs them a fortune, so accidents of this nature would be covered. I'd be sorry to see PremierscfcEV run into trouble because someone tripped and fell, despite the cable being legal.
I have two signs and bright green cable and I also have a luminous collapsible Cone which can all be seen thanks the bright LED street lights.

If the council have said you can run the cable (I hope you have it in writing) then you're OK on that front. Although perhaps you should investigate public liability insurance, because permission may not mean that you're indemnified from liability if it does cause someone to trip.

It's illegal to park on the pavement. It's that simple. "Why" doesn't actually come into it.
Where I live it is not illegal to put 2 wheels on the pavement as long as you consider others.

I appreciate that you have taken every precaution you can to alert people on the pavement and minimise the possibility of an accident. I'm just worried that something might happen despite all your precautious, and then you find you're liable. Might be worth a word with your local Citizens' Advice Bureau to check where you might stand if someone breaks something and gets litigious.

I prefer Kerbo because they give you a template to contact your local council and I get update emails telling me how they are getting on with councils around the country.
I'm trying to arrange a meeting with someone at the local highways department, I will keep trying and I don’t intend to give up until its adopted locally.

I'll pass on all this to my friend. I think she was under the impression that the cable was trapped by the channel, or that there was actually a plug on the kerb. I didn't know enough to put her right. (I was in the fortunate position of being able to bring the car straight home to a garage with good power points.)

I'm going to lunch with her on Monday and I'll show her the videos. She'll have the option to have a go at her council then. (I think she knows a councillor, which might help.)

This thread is about on-street charging, not parking.
I have therefore deleted all posts unrelated on-street parking except a couple for context.
This is an important topic which will need addressing in various ways for the 40% of households without off-street parking to adopt EVs.
I am therefore reluctant to close the thread.
@PremierscfcEV thank you for starting this thread and showing an example of the method you have used to overcome the problem and issues you have faced.
Please, other readers, reply with your thoughts on the topic.
The poster posted a picture of there car charging outside their house ( but not on their property) whilst parked on a pavement. It's perfectly legitimate to pass comment and express opnioniins upon this. How you park your car when charging outside your house ( but not on a drive) is not seperable from how you arrange the charging cables to make it as safe as possible for pedestrians.

Where I live it is not illegal to put 2 wheels on the pavement as long as you consider others.
Technically maybe not but if it is causing an obstruction then that could be illegal.

And just because it isn't explicitly illegal doesn't mean it's not anti-social. Nor does the fact that others may be doing it.

Btw I'm all for people finding ways to charge their car "on street". But not by putting others at risk.

EDIT: My previous post was deleted by the mods as off-topic which I suppose could be considered fair enough, but we do usually allow some thread drift here. And the fact remains that the picture appears to show a car obstructing quite a proportion of the pavement, which oughtn't be encouraged. However I only made this post in response to a subsequent off-topic post by the OP.

Technically maybe not but if it is causing an obstruction then that could be illegal.

And just because it isn't explicitly illegal doesn't mean it's not anti-social. Nor does the fact that others may be doing it.

Btw I'm all for people finding ways to charge their car "on street". But not by putting others at risk.

EDIT: My previous post was deleted by the mods as off-topic which I suppose could be considered fair enough, but we do usually allow some thread drift here. And the fact remains that the picture appears to show a car obstructing quite a proportion of the pavement, which oughtn't be encouraged. However I only made this post in response to a subsequent off-topic post by the OP.
I think it may be the "tone" of your response which is the issue. It did seem quite aggressive and confrontational. Maybe tone it down a little.

Also, the photo does not show the whole of the pavement and does give the impression that it is fairly wide.

I think it may be the "tone" of your response which is the issue. It did seem quite aggressive and confrontational. Maybe tone it down a little.

Also, the photo does not show the whole of the pavement and does give the impression that it is fairly wide.
I think the tone of any text based communication is partly down to your state of mind upon receipt.

Our 1st world problems. 🤣

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom