Ford and flooding

EV2GO

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello everyone, unfortunately in Italy we have had areas affected by very serious floods.
On youtube there is a channel dedicated to Ruffor ford, and here you can see that almost all endothermics go into failure (except off-road vehicles with snorkels and some Rover models), while all Teslas pass unscathed as if they were submarines...
Does anyone know the fording capabilities of the various MG models? This has become a very important topic for us....

Greetings from Italy,

Giuseppe Guicciardi

Last edited:
I'm sure, like me, you'll have seen lots of video from that particular ford and it has caught a number of drivers out. I'd not seen the Tesla video you posted but their capability seems quite impressive! I suppose there is so much less to get terminally wet in an EV compared with an ICE.

However, while I have every sympathy for your flooding problems, and hope it clears up soon, personally I would be very wary of driving any vehicle on a deeply flooded road.

This had crossed my mind, but my immediate thought was that I wouldn't go near flood water in something electric! But on the other hand these cars must be engineered to cope with normal road water, deep-ish puddles and so on. I wonder if there is an informed answer to the question.

Driving through flood water carries a whole heap of risks.
Hydrolocking is the biggie for ICE cars so it's good that you don't have to worry about that one but all the other risks are still there!

There's a ford here in the village, seldom used by cars because there's a perfectly good road bridge only about 100 yards upstream.

1684936452166.png

Now I'm getting tempted to drive over there and give the MG4 a wee swim. (It was quite shallow when this picture was taken in June 2016. Sometimes it's a fair bit deeper.)

I had a Nissan LEAF & watched a Nissan video of it wading at 70cm.

When I went to Wales in 2018 a huge storm hit and I drove through many puddles of 30cm deep to get to Church Stoke. On departing the road north to Welshpool was closed so I went west through a deep flood. After watching 4x4s going through, I assessed the depth to be 45-50cm and safe with a loaded car to proceed at walking pace. Absolutely no issues.

Further west, I encountered a deeper flood, 50-60cm deep. I viewed the road layout on streetview & watched large vehicles drive through. Again the water was clear, stationary and I had a loaded car so I shut the vents & went through with little more than the parking sensors beeping.

It works

The MG5 has been tested & passed electrically to 1m depth of flood water. The cills are 45-47cm above the road.

The deepest ford I passed through was 40cm but I know someone who did 90cm in his MG5 after closing his vents, Rufford Ford actually & he was disappointed nobody filmed it.

No water got into the car, no floating but the frunk filled with water!

My advice is to assess the risks, floatation from flows being the biggest, followed by hidden holes / obstructions under water and go slowly plus be cautious & sensible about it.

Common sense above all else!

Last edited:
Best way is to look at the wave at the front of the car, just keep it nice and stable, too fast and you will see it breaking over, just push it along gently. Walking pace is a very good place to start from.

I had a Nissan LEAF & watched a Nissan video of it wading at 70cm.

When I went to Wales in 2018 a huge storm hit and I drove through many puddles of 30cm deep to get to Church Stoke. On departing the road north to Welshpool was closed so I went west through a deep flood. After watching 4x4s going through, I assessed the depth to be 45-50cm and safe with a loaded car to proceed at walking pace. Absolutely no issues.

Further west, I encountered a deeper flood, 50-60cm deep. I viewed the road layout on streetview & watched large vehicles drive through. Again the water was clear, stationary and I had a loaded car so I shut the vents & went through with little more than the parking sensors beeping.

It works

The MG5 has been tested & passed electrically to 1m depth of flood water. The cills are 45-47cm above the road.

The deepest ford I passed through was 40cm but I know someone who did 90cm in his MG5 after closing his vents, Rufford Ford actually & he was disappointed nobody filmed it.

No water got into the car, no floating but the frunk filled with water!

My advice is to assess the risks, floatation from flows being the biggest, followed by hidden holes / obstructions under water and go slowly plus be cautious & sensible about it.

Common sense above all else!
Ok, thanks for your information about MG5, that's the next car for our company.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom