Forum security & explicit images

Dotnetter

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
The forum has recently been hit twice by a malicious user posting explicit images into numerous threads.

I noted that the current attempt is from an account created today. Is it possible to extend this so that new users are unable to post for a day or so?

1642617317438.png

I know it won't stop them, but it might make them think about looking elsewhere if they can't get instant access.

Another option is to initially require an admin to approve posts by users with < than x posts?

Just wondered what's being considered and whether you need any assistance from the rest of us?

Cheers,

Wayne

To be a member of the Tesla owners U.K. forum you have to provide your vin number.
Does not guarantee but makes you think twice before posting a photo of your todger after you have supplied your vin.

To be a member of the Tesla owners U.K. forum you have to provide your vin number.
Does not guarantee but makes you think twice before posting a photo of your todger after you have supplied your vin.
What about people who don't have a car yet or one on order this just would not work?

Another option is to initially require an admin to approve posts by users with < than x posts?
Yes, I'm an admin on a forum that has this, with x=1. It also forces no images on the first post. I think the reason for that is that you don't see the whole message for approval, only the first 10 lines or so.

It works well for us. We also require the first post to have some relevance to the forum; they can't just say "yes, I agree" or "I did that too". We have a tick box for that and three other common reasons for not approving the first post. In a borderline case, we can keep the user on moderation for a while (all posts have to be approved).

Of course, I have no idea how hard this is to implement on this particular forum; ours uses phpBB.

What about people who don't have a car yet or one on order this just would not work?
There is a separate forum for prospective owners. They don’t get access to the full whack until they actually get a car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom