Free charge

MG4London

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Are there any free charge ports in London?

I hear BP pulse can be free but it’s complicated?

Could you tell me more?

Is it free with BP pulse? I don’t mind if it’s time consuming
I believe it's more of a pod point hack if you can call it that? you get 15 minutes before you register the change so people are plugging in one side the at 14 mins unplug then stick in the other side and keep swapping not really worth it

Are there any free charge ports in London?

I hear BP pulse can be free but it’s complicated?
BP Plus can be "free" with a subscription but I've never seen a free one in London. It's hard enough finding a working one.

Think they can pull out quickly as they have cut the plastic on there plug that's in front of the locking hole

If you are a Costco member it's free on their 7kw chargers. There a quite a few in their carparks but you have to go inside and get a member of staff out to come out with an RFID card to turn on the charger for you. So it's too much of a palaver for regular use but helpful in an emergency. You can usually park free for three hours.

Also not free but a limited 50% off. For any British Gas Customers with a smart meter. This coming Sunday 30th April all electricity used between 11am and 5pm will be 50% off (via a credit applied). Note, you’ll need to sign up before 12pm on Friday 28th April. Maybe they forecast a windy and sunny day and want the juice used. Only really of use if you are not on a time of day tarrif. Some people won't as they may still have cheaper fixed rates still running from being set up a couple of years back. Annoyingly I am away otherwise I would have done my weekly charge then. I'm on a lowish non time of day fixed rate till August.

I believe it's more of a pod point hack if you can call it that? you get 15 minutes before you register the change so people are plugging in one side the at 14 mins unplug then stick in the other side and keep swapping not really worth it
You can stick it back in the same side once it has flashed red. (Ask me how I know :))

Never see a free BP pules charger. My local Sainsbury's is free but only 90 mins parking time,the car park for the train station is free but need to pay the parking fee. There are 7kw chargers.

You can stick it back in the same side once it has flashed red. (Ask me how I know :))
This is very valuable info thanks

My car park with BP pulse has started charging but the first 20mins is free.

I don’t mind popping there every now and then for free 15 mins rapid charge top up.

It’s getting very similar to going to fill your tank of patrol that takes about ten mins or so all in all.

I heard someone say that free charge points will be like free WiFi in the future.

Free customer WiFi or charge points for customers to attract you to their business

You don’t have to buy something

I heard someone say that free charge points will be like free WiFi in the future.

Free customer WiFi or charge points for customers to attract you to their business

You don’t have to buy something
You may have missed the boat, there... A number of places used to offer this, but they are mostly changing to charging for their power these days.

You may have missed the boat, there... A number of places used to offer this, but they are mostly changing to charging for their power these days.
I’m talking about businesses who offer a little charge to attract you to them rather than the competition

What I can see happening is what Tesco do in Weston super Mare. 30 minute free parking, and then spend over £3 in store to get a parking validation ticket for upto 3 hours; except it would be something like 15 min free Pod-Point charge, spend x amount in store and get charging validation ticket.

I’m talking about businesses who offer a little charge to attract you to them rather than the competition
Yes, that's what supermarkets used to do, but many of them are now charging. The culture of EVs getting lots of freebies is changing, as it was always going to eventually.

What I can see happening is what Tesco do in Weston super Mare. 30 minute free parking, and then spend over £3 in store to get a parking validation ticket for upto 3 hours; except it would be something like 15 min free Pod-Point charge, spend x amount in store and get charging validation ticket.
Yes this is th sort of thing I can see more of in the future

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom