Free home charger

According to IEE regs , My 10mm dia cables, which works out at 78mm square in area, can take over 200A, so maybe I already have a bigger fuse.
But having said that, we don't have any electric fires or electric cooker so the kettle, The toaster, the microwave and the clothes iron are the highest draws on our supply, so I wouldn't think we would blow a 60A fuse, if that's what's fitted, even with all those on at the same time as charging. I guess if we get an electric cooker or electric fire in the future, we'll have to get the fuse checked out.

Just had a look and the Pod Point installer has removed the security tag, probably to remove the fuse as there's no isolator switch on the main incoming power line, just on the consumer units. So I took off the lid and it is a 60A fuse, so I better be careful what I switch on when charging. One thing I forgot about is we have a 7.5kW electric shower, which is out of commission at the moment due to a leaky valve, that we hardly ever used before it started leaking. But if we get it repaired then charging the car and having a shower may take us over the 60A and blow the fuse. I guess I should get it uprated just in case.

Kithmo I phoned Power networks first before anyone else, they suggested I change to 100 amps to future proof myself. I have also phoned my supplier 'Pure Planet' who are going to change my Meter tails to 25mm and add an isolation switch at a cost of £152. The power networks bit is free but they wont come out until the tails have been changed.

I looked on Power networks web site and it looked like it was easy to contact them to upgrade the fuse.
I then found I was under Northern power, not Power networks and Northern Power's website doesn't give any help whatsoever on this.
I opened an account/signed up to Northern power and got a "confirm your email", email and logged in via the email. I then went to a link to upgrade my supply and it went on to another page and was asking me to sign in again, but this page wouldn't accept my log in username or password (which I had written down, so I know it was correct) so I gave up and decided I'll ring them in a day or two.
I then noted it said, any problems, reply to this email on the email I had from them so I replied with, "How do I get my fuse upgraded from 60A" and got a generic reply with nothing but terms of their privacy policy on it and an "incident number" in the title.
I'm not impressed with Northern power's website at all and after I've cooled off in a day or two I'll ring them, unless they reply to the email. :(

Good Morning.
I had the same issues with the link PodPoint sent when I first tried it. The dealer had said it would be free and not going to pay for things twice.
When I called them they were apologetic and changed the link and it went through with out any payment required.

I rang Northern Power last week, a very helpful lady on the phone arranged for the contractor to come and assess and uprate the Shut off fuse.
They came today and uprated it to 100A, so my incoming feed must be adequate, jobs a gud un (y)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom