Friends and family reactions

okohll

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
I think today was the first time someone said 'I like the electric car' without any qualifications or questions, which was nice!

Another more typical conversation over the Xmas holidays was along the lines of
  • nice car, it's electric is it? [something about charging]
  • me: well it's a long range version, gets from Bristol to here and one back on a charge, which is all I need
  • [amazement] didn't know there was such a thing as long range EVs. I guess now all they need is to improve the bad charging infrastructure
  • me: [changed subject, one perception changed is enough!]

Maybe related to the 'ev opposition in the media is ramping up' thread.

A bit depressing but in fairness, that was pretty much my thinking before researching/buying. I'd used to see Teslas on the road and wondered if they had massive anxiety about finding somewhere to re-charge on their journeys.

Just wondering, is that typical of other peoples families and friends (at least those who don't already drive EVs)?

I think today was the first time someone said 'I like the electric car' without any qualifications or questions, which was nice!

• me: well it's a long range version, gets from Bristol to here and one back on a charge, which is all I need
  • [amazement] didn't know there was such a thing as long range EVs. I guess now all they need is to improve the bad charging infrastructure

A bit depressing but in fairness, that was pretty much my thinking before researching/buying. I'd used to see Teslas on the road and wondered if they had massive anxiety about finding somewhere to re-charge on their journeys.

Just wondering, is that typical of other peoples families and friends (at least those who don't already drive EVs)?
Yes, had them all

• when have you got to replace the battery and how much is that going to cost
  • how often have you been stuck with a flat battery
  • what is the range ....... rated at 530km ..... YOU'RE KIDDING never knew that
  • is it cheaper to run ..... haven't paid for power in 4000km. Runs on sunshine .....
vacant look of disbelief
  • resale value is going to be poor down the track ..... (not sure how they know this)
  • It's too quiet

I am free with giving others a test drive. They are usually impressed but it seems to take several days for them to compute the full impact.

* then the comment is usually ..... I might consider an electric (usually talking about a hybrid) for my next car

Maybe we're winning

Yes, had them all

• when have you got to replace the battery and how much is that going to cost
  • how often have you been stuck with a flat battery
  • what is the range ....... rated at 530km ..... YOU'RE KIDDING never knew that
  • is it cheaper to run ..... haven't paid for power in 4000km. Runs on sunshine .....
vacant look of disbelief

Yes, they walk among us...

Yes, I get this from a few of my family & friends about EV's too, It seems they would rather believe the FUD nonsense on social media than do a little research. :rolleyes:

In the summer, at the Weston Cider Festival, one of my son's friends joined us, and he recited EVERY single Daily Fail myth, which I patiently shot down one by one with the facts. I don't think he was right pleased with me. :)

Oh very much so. My dear sister in law lives in fear of me taking this infernal machine to visit her in Cornwall because she won’t hear me coming and I’ll squash her.

Oh very much so. My dear sister in law lives in fear of me taking this infernal machine to visit her in Cornwall because she won’t hear me coming and I’ll squash her.
Meanwhile, at the opposite end of the country (almost) there’s my brother in law who has watched and waited while we all mess about with our silly EVs. He’s hung on until the dusty electrons have settled and has ordered the sensible conclusive vehicular answer. Why didn’t I think of that ? He’s having a self charging hybrid Renault Aural - I said “yes I hear you”
🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Much the same as others, but I have taken out several friends and neighbours in my MG5 pre FL Excite and they have all been very surprised and complimentary about (a) the performance, (b) the lack of noise, (c) the comfort of the fabric seats, and (d) the value for money. I have taken a different friend and his wife on holiday - round trip of 400 miles, and they were also impressed. On the other hand I met a guy over Christmas who trotted out the usual FUD stuff, and he didn't want to hear anything other than "petrol is best".

I have also had numerous charging discussions, usually along the lines of

• mostly done cheaply at home - at about one third of the cost of running my previous car (and could be even cheaper if I had a cheap overnight tariff)
  • I am ready for a break after 150 miles or so, so range is not a problem (in summer I get well over 200 miles) and stopping to charge fits in well with this scenario
  • of the 17 times I have had to charge away from home only once - over 2 years ago - did I have any trouble finding a working charger
-even my slow MG5 charges from 20 to 80% in about 40 minutes, so not too long to wait after i have had my coffee!

It seems to me that the only way to go on is to chip away at the nay-sayers and keep presenting the facts in a calm civilised way. We won't win over everybody, but it won't stop me trying!

Happy motoring to one and all.

Last edited:
I was visiting someone recently who was adamant they had never seen an electric vehicle charging point ANYWHERE near where they live.
I said there was probably at least half a dozen wall sockets within twenty feet of where we stood in his kitchen.
“Don’t be daft, that’s not car electric” 🥴

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom