Fumes in the tank

Cirprocon

Established Member
Reaction score
Have had mine for over a week and loving the build quality and value considering all the toys included with Exclusive. Had my first encounter with the traction SOC low battery warning light yesterday with the GOM suggesting 30 or so miles left in the tank. When I got home and plugged in it was showing around 19% remaining. Is this a fair reflection of what everyone else is experiencing when this warning light illuminates ?

That sounds normal @Cirprocon, the last line of battery represents 25% charge. That is when you will get low battery warning.

19% battery x 0.425kW = 8 kWh remaining. Which if you are averaging 4 miles a kilowatt hour is 32 miles range left.

Thanks Lee, have you ever taken it past this point i.e does it start flashing more vigorously ?
I think I read somewhere that it goes down to three solid lines where your range indicator would be. This is me trying to work out how much I could squeeze out of it (driving carefully) in an emergency, just like I used to with my old Ford Focus fuel warning light.

I did a trip up the North East from West Yorkshire yesterday managed to arrive in Sunderland with 7% left (charging at the excellent Fastned charger) and back home at 6%, with a 20 minutes instavolt charge south of Middlesbrough (both times with 10 miles and the flashing last bit showing), when I got home I wouldn’t expect I was far from that 10 miles switching to - - - when it hit 5%. Feel that I’ve got a good feel for how far I can push the car to get the SoC low for maximum rapid charge speeds

That's very interesting shikoku14, is that something you do often/or feel comfortable doing or was it just a one off. As I said to Lee graham I would only contemplate going as low as that if I was going straight home and plugging in. It's all interesting information though just in case I get caught out.

In both cases where it was low I knew i was going to a rapid with a lot of redundancy (there are 6 CCS chargers at Fastned) and as you say second time was arriving home. If i were to go to an Instavolt with 4 chargers I’d be pretty confident to be under 10% on arrival. For all other rapid providers in the UK i’d bump that to 20% so I have a plan B (and C) in range. I don’t do that many journeys where I need to rapid, but it’s good to get a feel for how much I could push the car.

I agree good to know it's limits. Others on this forum have also remarked on how good/reliable Instavolt are, I read that they have agreed a deal with Mcdonalds to install chargers in there car parks so hopefully lots more charging locations 😊.

IMG_20200926_034107.jpg

I had my one down to %0, it was flashing and saying car is shutting down pull up safely.

That is cutting it very fine...I'd have been a bag of nerves and my missis would be having a fit...and probably not want to go in a EV ever again!:mad:

Well I hope you’ve learnt your lesson in as much as you won’t do that again!!??
Well I hope you’ve learnt your lesson in as much as you won’t do that again!!??
It was actually an experimental tryout, I've also tried long journey, travelled from London to Manchester with charging 2 times on the way. Rainy day.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom