Fun Day Out or Madness? 285 round trip today!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello all,

I responded to a request on a recent EVA Scotland Webinar with SWARCO for volunteers to conduct an audit on the ChargePlace charger points in or around the north of Scotland.

Earlier this wee, I've done about 7 or 8 in the area around Dingwall about 15 miles to the north of me.

But unfortunately someone has dropped out and it was the person covering the very north coast of the mainland from Thurso to Durness. So, today, with my full 449v charge in my ZS EV, the current Mrs S and I are heading out on an approx. 285 mile round trip to do about 10 chargers.

SWARCO are donating £5 for each charge point audited to Plant A Tree, so there's going to be a benefit!

And I'm not daft - I've negotiated for petrol money 😂

Photos, and updates to follow!

Wish me luck.

Trip done - 260+ miles getting 3.8 miles per KwH. 10 sites audited for Swarco.

Not bad. More detail to follow

Attachments

• IMG_20210523_190338.jpg
    IMG_20210523_190338.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 143
Trip done - 260+ miles getting 3.8 miles per KwH. 10 sites audited for Swarco.

Not bad. More detail to follow
Well done Dave - fantastic work mate. Are you or someone else going to update Zap Map or ABRP?

It would be good for others to know - you could also let us know if any of the chargers you visited are out of order so we could avoid them if we're travelling North, if you don't mind?

Cheers

Bloggsy

Yes, well done Dave.
Good to have met you at Tesco and hope we have a chance for a longer chat next time. Slainte Iain

Thanks for your comments - here's the detailed update.

Set off just about 10.00 on a full (448v) charge. Slightly overcast but bright morning, warm enough for the sunroof on tilt, so no AC required. (for those who don't want the detailed read - please scroll down to the end where I make, what I think is, a serious point for all EV driver in the North Coast 500!)

First stop Scrabster (114 miles) took on a 20min Rapid charge (20.21 Kw) - all good. I didn't need more because, as I said to the current Mrs S, we'll be visiting chargers all day long, ha ha!

Then off to Melvich about 17 miles away and the attractively named "Public Toilet Car Park". I tried to get a Rapid Charge there, but it did this really annoying thing (that you've all heard me bang on about in the past) when it shows the last charge it provided to the previous user, and does not refresh to provide me with a charge. Never mind - we'll be visiting chargers all day!!

btw - really nice coffee at the cafe there, and when I mentioned to her that I had an EV and was checking out the chargers, she said that she had spoken to a customer earlier that morning who was really annoyed and concerned about how he hadn't been able to get a charge all the way along the coast. No, I am that thick - the penny didn't drop!!!!

Then off the 13 miles to Bettyhill. Darn and blast - that one was showing green lights but nothing happening. It didn't recognise the RFID card and didn't do anything. No worries - we've still visiting chargers all day!!

7 miles on, it was Borgie Lodge Hotel. There were 2 x 7kw BP Chargemaster posts, one of which wasn't working, and we didn't have time to take on a slow - sorry fast charge. so off we headed to Tongue.

2nd btw - the Borgie Lodge Hotel looks pretty interesting and was added to the list of maybe check out a DB&B deal sometime!

Tongue, only 8 miles away, Crivens!!! Another totally duff charger - not a flicker of life.

Now, and only now, did I realise what the lady in the cafe was on about!! Dohh!

My next visit was due to be Durness, 30 miles away but even on my notes provided by SWARCO it said that this unit "was unlikely to have power". I realised that if I did go there, I was unlikely to reach the next charger in Laird (56 miles from Durness).

So I cut back and went the 38 miles over the A838 from Tongue to Lairg. (photo of the Kyle of Tongue below)

Lairg - brilliant. I got a good Rapid charge and all range anxieties evaporated. Then off to the Falls of Shin Visitor Centre, less than 5 miles away. I didn't need a charge but there is a well maintained charger there. Why, oh why have I never stopped and visited there? I will be back!

Then 7 more miles to Ardgay - another excellent unit and off back home 51 miles away, back to a plug in at home!!

It was a great day out, the weather was pretty damn good, and the current Mrs S is still the current Mrs S.

Serious point though - the North Coast 500 is a brilliant initiative and a real tourist boon, as the number of camper-vans indicates (I know using that terminology that really hacks off motor-home drivers!!). But on Sunday, I would not have been able to take on a Rapid Charge after Scrabster until Scourie which is 96 miles, and the last time I went to the Scourie charger it was dead!! So I would possibly have needed to go to Lochinver which is a further 27 miles on, a 123 mile leg!!!

I'm happy to have volunteered to help SWARCO with their audit as they take over operating responsibilities for ChargePlace Scotland, but from what I've seen, they are inheriting quite a few issues!!

and @bloggsy - I think I did submit charge point updates on to ZapMap.

Attachments

• IMG_20210523_190338 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210523_190338 (1).jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20210523_190338 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210523_190338 (1).jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20210523_145346 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210523_145346 (1).jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 137
Never done the NC500 but quite fancy it myself.
Wife normally goes skiing for a week with my lad and that week would give me the perfect excuse to give it a go (march covid allowing).
Might take my time and camp in the car 😁

It's something I'd like to do too - thought about doing it on two wheels before lockdown, now maybe in the camper van.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom