Glyn Hopkin East London - MG Dealer Discussion, Opinions & Experiences

You call and ask to speak to the service department. If nobody answers, you ask them to call you back. If they don't call back in an hour, you call again.
Keep doing this and you'll get through sooner than waiting three weeks.
You're the first person I have heard of who would wait three weeks for a call back!

Dear Stuart

Thank you for the response

I have finally had a call back from the service manager following a written complaint to the parent group.

Following the discussion about the issue with the supercharging, I was informed that the branch has no way to check if there any any problems with rapid charging or Tesla supercharging.

We would need to speak to customer services at MG about any specific updates ie the EVCC updates as they could not test them or verify and updates. Essentially it was not their problem if there were any rapid charging issues, they would not even consider updating the EVCC or other software unless there was a specific recall.

Please note we have a service plan with the group and only took it in for service a few weeks ago. We are still left with a car which cannot rapid charge at Tesla as their network grows.

I have emailed MG customer services, I hope they can help,

Thank you for your help Stuart

I did receive a response from MG customer services:

Good afternoon

Thank you for contacting MG Motor UK Ltd. and I am sorry to learn of your disappointment regarding this matter.

All MG cars, when carrying the latest software version, are compatible with the open Tesla network. However, this does not apply to Tesla Super Charge network unless they have been added to the open network. Only a limited number of super chargers are part of the open network.

However, even when using a supercharger, this would not increase the rate of charge into your MG. The car will still only accept the same level of charge as a standard rapid charge point.

If your car can receive a charge (just not from certain points), then this would not be classed as a fault. Should you require the dealer to update software as a quality enhancement, then you would need to pay the technician for his/her time whilst it is being installed. This is because the technician would need to stay with the vehicle to activate prompts, whilst this is installed.

It would not be covered by MG if there is no fault on the vehicle.

I trust that this will clarify our position regarding this matter and answer your questions accordingly.

Kind regards

All I can say is that I am quite disappointed with how MG are managing this.

Looking at other forum members, they are also having a similar issue with the Tesla charging. I do believe it is an MG software issue noting others have paid for EVCC software updated.

It is a shame as I really like the car, but if we MG owners have problems at one of the fastest growing and most reliable charging networks, it will make the cars less desirable.

I highly recommend Glyn Hopkin (East London) MG. Sales team of Konrad and Jakob provided excellent customer service. They matched an offer I had from another dealer on Carwow when my local dealer (Toomey Basildon) would not even negotiate on the price of a new MG ZS EV Exclusive. They kept in touch during lockdown and I picked up my car on 23rd December 2020.

I was going to wait until after Lockdown or at least until the new Registrations came out in March. However, they seemed keen to get a deal done in December. I assume to reach a sales target.

In addition to beating a very good offer on Carwow and the price being close to a Sunderland dealers pre reg deal, I asked and got a number of accessories without too much bartering.

Type 2 cable
Mudflaps
Fitted mats
Load bay protector
Locking Wheel nuts
Paint touch up stick

They supplied the car with standard number plates but happily replaced these and fitted the new Green plates when I took the car back on 1st February for the new BMS software update.

I have also just taken out a low mileage (under 10,000 PA) 4 year service plan as Glyn Hopkin offers a service booking with a courtesy car if needed where my local dealer was unable to offer this service as standard.

Please check the t&c’s if you ever take the courtesy car, my local mg wanted me to agree to a £500 excess before I could use it, i declined.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom